Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yes, this has been the rule since the program started. It is not a secret. You can get a price match, but not free rooms. I am sorry you are not able to bilk IHG as much as you'd like.
I remembered that you can't even get price match if you are doing it within 30 days period. Someone on this thread posted something about it a while ago.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by confidant

Does this mean you can NOT get two free nights between 30 days?
Yes, this has been the rule since the program started. It is not a secret. You can get a price match, but not free rooms. I am sorry you are not able to bilk IHG as much as you'd like.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17510789-post913.html

I'm sure confidant appreciates being informed that he/she is not able to bilk IHG as much as he/she would like but the truth is you get nothing from IHG for 30 days after a successful BRG claim stay- they do not price match a subsequent claim (if IHGCare's post is accurate)
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I remembered that you can't even get price match if you are doing it within 30 days period. Someone on this thread posted something about it a while ago.
back in Nov it was 1 free night every 7 days, but they changed it to 1 free night every 30 days
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MCruler
back in Nov it was 1 free night every 7 days, but they changed it to 1 free night every 30 days
This alone reflects that the best rate guarantee is not genuine, and they have no intention of honoring the spirit of the promotion.

If they did, then it wouldn't matter how many times you found the property cheaper, you should get the free night.

The term 'guarantee' is meaningless.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Wrong.

It started as a 7 day rule, and then switched to a 30-day rule in a subsequent T&C change, I assume when IHG realised how many of their hotels were not in fact following the T&C of their contract of not allowing 3rd party booking engines to have cheaper rates than the IHG site.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
My mistake. Let us now go through the weekly airing of grievances about features of this program. How dare they not give more free rooms, its an outrage, etc.
No one has complained that the rates have to be in the same currency in at least 3 days. Anyone? Perhaps we can have a new person claiming how reprehensible it is that a prepaid rate is not the same as a nonprepaid rate?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:30 am

My mistake. Let us now go through the weekly airing of grievances about features of this program. How dare they not give more free rooms, its an outrage, etc.
No one has complained that the rates have to be in the same currency in at least 3 days. Anyone? Perhaps we can have a new person claiming how reprehensible it is that a prepaid rate is not the same as a nonprepaid rate?
Some might prefer posts complaining about the program if factually accurate to posts defending the program that are not.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This alone reflects that the best rate guarantee is not genuine, and they have no intention of honoring the spirit of the promotion.

If they did, then it wouldn't matter how many times you found the property cheaper, you should get the free night.

The term 'guarantee' is meaningless.
What exactly is the spirit of the program? In most cases, I suspect that people are submitting a BRG claim simply to get a free room for one night. Does receiving a free room, and trying to figure out how to do this repeatedly, keep in line with the spirit of the program?

Personally, even though it works to my detriment, I think there should be a 2-night minimum when submitting a BRG claim. I think that would reduce the attempts by at least 50%. If you are successful, you still get a great deal. (First night free, 2nd night matched at the lower rate) It also allows IHG to relax their T&C a bit by eliminating the threat of free loaders like myself.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:51 am

Just wanted to post my own experience of this recently. Got turned down for a best price.

Competitors price was cheaper and even included breakfast as well. However my original booking was room only. Seemed pretty harsh to me. Competitor was cheaper and included additional food as well.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by spankytoes
What exactly is the spirit of the program? In most cases, I suspect that people are submitting a BRG claim simply to get a free room for one night. Does receiving a free room, and trying to figure out how to do this repeatedly, keep in line with the spirit of the program?

Personally, even though it works to my detriment, I think there should be a 2-night minimum when submitting a BRG claim. I think that would reduce the attempts by at least 50%. If you are successful, you still get a great deal. (First night free, 2nd night matched at the lower rate) It also allows IHG to relax their T&C a bit by eliminating the threat of free loaders like myself.
the spirit of the program is a guarantee that they have the cheapest price. The idea is that you stay on the IHG website to book and pay rather than look elsewhere.

If you find a cheaper rate, they give it free.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:41 pm

What exactly is the spirit of the program?
The spirit of the program is so that WE do the hard work for IHG to ferret out the competing websites and travel agents who are offering cheaper rates than IHG, so they in turn can go do something about it - usually muscle in to revise their current rate arrangements with these third parties.

Free night is but small compensation for a battalion of FTers doing their job for them!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:11 am

yh, but when i can get a penthouse suite for free (at least the first day), why should I then pay thousands of $ for the following nights ... I more would redeem some points etc for the following nights than paying with hard earned $ lol
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Not to be TOO pedantic but you are totally incorrect.

This was not the case when the BRG was introduced with much fanfare. I used to use the IHG BRG program previously to make sure I would get qualifying nights instead of booking through the competitir website, at that time the (10%?) off that one received was incidental to getting qualifying nights, at least to me.

When the BRG program giving out free nights was introduced this clause was not included. It was added to the T's & C's of the program, (along with other changes, e.g. the inability to compare different currencies) without communication and well after the introduction of the current program.

Last edited by catharsis; Apr 3, 2012 at 5:40 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Success!

I recently booked the Crowne Plaza Ligovsky in St. Petersburg, Russia and then found an identical rate on Booking.com for about $15 less.

I must confess, I had to work for the BRG as the phone conversation took 52 minutes and the IHG agent asked me a bazillion questions and asked me to email screen shots and then debated with me about the rate I found not being in local currency. I sent additional screen shots showing that the currency can be changed to whatever you prefer and he accepted that.

The reservation with the BRG did not get adjusted right away as the IHG agent needed to correspond with the hotel manager. It was 6 days before I received a revised BRG confirmation from IHG.

Bottom line, I got the first night of my stay for free, saved about $175 and the second night adjusted downward by $15 to match the Booking.com rate. The IHG website rate was adjusted downward by $15 within an hour or two of my phone call.

My reservation online no longer provides any rate details but when I call to check on the reservation, everything is in order. My stay is not for another month so I'll report back here if I encounter and issues upon check-in.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Apr 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by graemef
Just wanted to post my own experience of this recently. Got turned down for a best price.

Competitors price was cheaper and even included breakfast as well. However my original booking was room only. Seemed pretty harsh to me. Competitor was cheaper and included additional food as well.
I would call in and try again because the Competitor's rate can be more generous in any way than the IGH rate. Have someone else at IHG BRG take a look at your claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.