Wiki Posts
Search

IHG buy points bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
IHG buy points bonus?

Anyone have an idea when IHG might offer the 100% bonus when buying points? I have need of some for an Oct. 24 trip and have been waiting hoping this was coming soon. Seems like they do this about every two months or so and the last one was around the first part of August. Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Buying points for a trip in October 2024 trip is risky, given rooms won’t be available until November 2023 at the earliest.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Buying points for a trip in October 2024 trip is risky, given rooms won’t be available until November 2023 at the earliest.
Is the OP asking about a trip starting in October, 2024, or about a trip starting on October 24, 2022?
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is the OP asking about a trip starting in October, 2024, or about a trip starting on October 24, 2022?
oh yes, sorry. Oct 24th, 2022. So coming up in three weeks.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Probably not. IHG doesn´t run these "flash sales" as often as they used to.

The Points & Cash cancellation trick should get you a better price than buying at full price though.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif

The Points & Cash cancellation trick should get you a better price than buying at full price though.
Oh. Where can I find details on the “Cash & Points cancellation trick”?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif

ok, I’ve kinda figured this out. But the best conversion I’ve found so far is $.0593 per point, so close but not quite as good as the 100% bonus. But may have to do for now. I only have ~3000 pts right now so I’ll need to just outright buy a few points to even do it but thanks for the tip! If anyone is aware of a property where one can get a better conversion, please post.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would be wary of making a lot of points + cash bookings and cancelling them in a short space of time - which since you are travelling in a few weeks you would need to be doing.

IHG does monitor such purchases and has been known to take action against as those it regards as abusing this option,

Whilst I am all in favour of people trying to get the best value sometimes it’s just easier to buy the points outright or just pay cash.

And with dynamic pricing and points rates closely aligned to cash rates there isn’t the outsized value to be gained that there used to be.
kevino and Brendan like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggdan
ok, I’ve kinda figured this out. But the best conversion I’ve found so far is $.0593 per point, so close but not quite as good as the 100% bonus. But may have to do for now. I only have ~3000 pts right now so I’ll need to just outright buy a few points to even do it but thanks for the tip! If anyone is aware of a property where one can get a better conversion, please post.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would be wary of making a lot of points + cash bookings and cancelling them in a short space of time - which since you are travelling in a few weeks you would need to be doing.

IHG does monitor such purchases and has been known to take action against as those it regards as abusing this option,

Whilst I am all in favour of people trying to get the best value sometimes it’s just easier to buy the points outright or just pay cash.

And with dynamic pricing and points rates closely aligned to cash rates there isn’t the outsized value to be gained that there used to be.
Yes.

One thing is using P+C for a small top-up of points outside of a "flash sale". Another thing entirely is going from a 3k point balance to a large number of points for an award stay...
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
IHG has 100% points bonus now through October 20, 2022. Minimum 30K purchase (+30K free).
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Yes, first time buyer;
150K + 150K = 300K;
using mostly as 3 x 15K HIX properties + 1 free night
26 tax free nights total, right? $1500 / 26 = $57.69 / night total
any loopholes to buying more than 150K/yr? wife member...
is 150K limit per household?
used Sapphire Preferred cc working towards $4K 3mos
since IHG Premier cc no bonus, right?
appreciate any advice or tricks info, thanks in advance
$1500 charge = business deduction

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Oct 10, 2022 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggdan
Anyone have an idea when IHG might offer the 100% bonus when buying points? I have need of some for an Oct. 24 trip and have been waiting hoping this was coming soon. Seems like they do this about every two months or so and the last one was around the first part of August. Thanks!
Lucky you...
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:40 am

do you get the 20% discount for buying points on IHG card with this sale too?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 02cdjohn
do you get the 20% discount for buying points on IHG card with this sale too?
Nope.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Nope.
bummer. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too. That's cool. still a good deal and I'll save $600 for my stay at HI buying points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.