Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I decided to use points for the 3rd night in Vegas instead of my dads free night cert, it's costing me 25K points over using the cert in Vegas and points in Florida but it's a lot easier for us to change hotels if need be in Florida than Vegas as we don't rent a car in Vegas

I just booked his cert for the Florida in 2018 and was able to add my name on the reservation when I booked. This option seems hit and miss as some years it lets me add my name and some years it doesn't. I then chatted with IHG to confirm it was there and as always we will call the hotel before we arrive.

In the past we have used 3 rewards certs back to back to back for me my dad and my wife, I put the first night in my wife's name and she calls to combine the 3 nights so that we stay in the same room. We have never had an issue and they actually give us 3 separate bills in all 3 of our names.

From our experience the hotels outside vegas ( who track everything) don't even care what the first name on the reservation is I checked into a hotel last month where I was the additional guest on my dads reservation and the clerk never asked my name or questioned the credit card that we used which was in my wife's name.

It seems like overseas has additional security also.
Definitely. Many locations require passports at check in. Sometimes only the passport of the person who made the reservation, sometimes the passports of all guests staying. It depends on the requirement of country the hotel is in.

Though the more restrictive policy for properties in Greater China probably is due to the rampant frauds in selling reward bookings from hotels to airlines.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So for two years, I've loved this free night and gotten some great redemptions out of it. This year, I wanted to used it in Amsterdam at the Intercontinental. However, there are no rooms available in July, August, or September. Or even early October. Huh?!!? This is harder to use this year than frequent flier miles around Christmas. Ugh. What, do they only release 1 room at this property for the free night? Annoying.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So for two years, I've loved this free night and gotten some great redemptions out of it. This year, I wanted to used it in Amsterdam at the Intercontinental. However, there are no rooms available in July, August, or September. Or even early October. Huh?!!? This is harder to use this year than frequent flier miles around Christmas. Ugh. What, do they only release 1 room at this property for the free night? Annoying.
If you are talking about Amstel - it is a very small property and the number of award rooms is extremely limited. You have to book Way Ahead if your plan is to stay there. IIRC there were only 1 or may be 2 award room available.

There is a dedicated thread on Amstel in this forum.

The rooms themselves are really nothing special - our room was at the attic level with old fashion English and Dutch style Blue and While country floral design. Every inch of the surface of the furniture was covered by some sort of Ad type materials making no place for you to lay down anything. I had to gather all the brochures up so we had some surface space to use.

The bathroom set up was weird but I forgot the details.

The only bright spot is the indoor swimming pool and the gym next to it - it is at the level of the canal. There were coffee machine and some fruits/energy bars by the small reception area but I had no idea whether it was complementary or not.

All in all while it is the "Grand Dame" of the luxury hotels in Amsterdam, we prefer to stay elsewhere in town.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Terrible experience attempting to use Fee Night Cert for 3 night min

Thought it might be nice to use our 2 free Chase nights (wife and I) as part of a long President's weekend at the La Concha in Key West. As the property has a 3 night minimum stay, I was bounced back and forth between IHG reservations, customer service, and the property Reservations Manager - none of whom could figure it out. After 3 rounds of phone conversations, totaling over 8 hours, including the opening of a case, I gave up in disgust.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:07 am

For those of you with an IHG credit card for you and your spouse, do you each have your own IHG rewards account that your points go into?

I'm wanting to apply for both of us, but not sure if we can funnel the points into one account or need to each have our own.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimom
For those of you with an IHG credit card for you and your spouse, do you each have your own IHG rewards account that your points go into?

I'm wanting to apply for both of us, but not sure if we can funnel the points into one account or need to each have our own.

Thanks!
Yes. The account holder of the IHG account must match with the name of the Credit Card. This is the program rule for virtually all loyalty programs.

You can transfer points but it carries cost.

If you try to try something that is against program rules, just keep in mind IHG is one of the MOST harsh program that would shut down rule violators accounts for good and be banned for life if they find out any violation, that includes sign up promotions that are not being targeted. DONT mess with them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. The account holder of the IHG account must match with the name of the Credit Card. This is the program rule for virtually all loyalty programs.

You can transfer points but it carries cost.

If you try to try something that is against program rules, just keep in mind IHG is one of the MOST harsh program that would shut down rule violators accounts for good and be banned for life if they find out any violation, that includes sign up promotions that are not being targeted. DONT mess with them.

Thank you. My husband was targeted for the 100,000 point signup bonus through email. I figured I may as well sign up for the 80,000 at the same time. That way our free nights will match up date wise to be able to use together.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimom
Thank you. My husband was targeted for the 100,000 point signup bonus through email. I figured I may as well sign up for the 80,000 at the same time. That way our free nights will match up date wise to be able to use together.
You can sign up the 80K and then SM Chase to match the 100K - that is perfectly fine. Check out the IHG card thread in Chase forum there are plenty of DPs that Chase would match the offer.

just DONT use the same IHG account number to both you and your husband's credit cards - that would not fly. You need your own account number. If you do not have one yet, register on IHG site first and then use that account number when you apply for your own card.

ALWAYS set up a loyalty account first before applying the co-brand card - this way you are not at the mercy of the bank to send your info over to the partner, open an account on your behalf while you do not know any info until months later what is your account number...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:22 pm

The IHG website has been buggy for me today. I clicked through from where the anniversary night is posted in my account, but the system ended up taking my points instead. Very odd.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:29 am

What is the no show policy for weather with the free night? I believe with points you are charged for the night, correct? And I would assume the chase free night would be the same. I am supposed to be staying tomorrow night on the chase free night(cancellation terms were Wednesday before 4:00) and weather might cancel my means of transportation to the property(Ferry Boat). Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
What is the no show policy for weather with the free night? I believe with points you are charged for the night, correct? And I would assume the chase free night would be the same. I am supposed to be staying tomorrow night on the chase free night(cancellation terms were Wednesday before 4:00) and weather might cancel my means of transportation to the property(Ferry Boat). Any suggestions on what I should do?
Call the property and find out what they can do -i'm sure it will depend on who you speak to. I had a pm flight cancellation well past the 4pm cut off time - hotel front desk asked me for a copy of the email and offered to move it a few months out to another date that I would have otherwise paid points or $$ .
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Free Night stay must be completed before expiration

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere recently. I know that one of the points that has been discussed on this board is the question of whether or not you can complete a stay beyond the expiration date of the Chase night, as long as it is booked before the expiration date. The following language, on the Free Night T&C, is something I've never seen before and addresses this question:

Chase Anniversary Free Night is valid at hotels in the IHG® Rewards Club Family of Brands and must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue.
Maybe this has been around for a while and I've just never paid attention to this, or is this something new?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by bob12403
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere recently. I know that one of the points that has been discussed on this board is the question of whether or not you can complete a stay beyond the expiration date of the Chase night, as long as it is booked before the expiration date. The following language, on the Free Night T&C, is something I've never seen before and addresses this question:

Maybe this has been around for a while and I've just never paid attention to this, or is this something new?
i have, in fact, done, exactly what the quoted rule says is not allowed. Perhaps the rule has changed or is not usually enforced.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I'm looking at booking a room in Toronto at the moment for several nights - using my certificate for one night and paying cash for the others. Of course it shows the rate as "free" but won't tell me how much the cash rate will be for the other nights. Yesterday it showed me a paid rate of $50/night (which of course was very low, and I could only see that rate listed when searching for a chase free night), today it just keeps showing "free." Any suggestions? Should I call them?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I'm looking at booking a room in Toronto at the moment for several nights - using my certificate for one night and paying cash for the others. Of course it shows the rate as "free" but won't tell me how much the cash rate will be for the other nights. Yesterday it showed me a paid rate of $50/night (which of course was very low, and I could only see that rate listed when searching for a chase free night), today it just keeps showing "free." Any suggestions? Should I call them?
You need to book your free night and your paid nights on different reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.