Wiki Posts
Search

Early Departure Fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority club
Early Departure Fee

This morning I have checked out of a hotel after 1 night ( of a 2 night flexible booking ) the hotel tried to charge me a £50 early departure fee, has anyone else come accross this before?
I called the Ambasador Helpline and they said it is upto the Hotel, but surely a FELEXIBLE booking is FLEXIBLE!

Any comments..

Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Centre.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

early departure fees are in the terms for some rates at some hotels.

Just doing a dummy booking , in the Room and Rate information it includes

Originally Posted by pc booking
Tax: : 20% per night included in rate effective 12 April, 2011 thru 13 April, 2011

Service Charge: 10% per night not included in rate effective 12 April, 2011 thru 13 April, 2011

Early Departure Fee: £50.00 (GBP)
Daily Parking Fee: £6.00 (GBP)
Seems that they include it in their terms which have to be agreed to
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Agreed, but under the imnpression that this was for departing after check out time, I have never been hit with this before and quite often leave other IHG early..
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by probertjjames
Agreed, but under the imnpression that this was for departing after check out time, I have never been hit with this before and quite often leave other IHG early..
No, this is clearly for departing early. I'm surprised that you've never been hit with this before; early departure fees are very common at basically all hotel chains, also on reward nights.

You're booking is flexible until the time agreed on in the contract (usually 6 pm on the day (or day before) check-in).

I usually book two flexible reservations when unsure how long I'll be staying.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:38 am

Why would an early departure fee apply for departing late?

The description of the fee ( as displayed if clicking on the hyperlink )

Originally Posted by pc site
Early Departure Fee

Early Departure Fee - If you check-out prior to the check-out date of your booking, you will be charged the early departure fee.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I see exactly what you are saying, but sometimes I am away 5 nights, I do not intend this to be 5 individual bookiungs that would make it a nightmare...as you say most others hotels charge it I am surprised I've not been hit by it before ..
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:05 am

I see exactly what you are saying, but sometimes I am away 5 nights, I do not intend this to be 5 individual bookiungs that would make it a nightmare...as you say most others hotels charge it I am surprised I've not been hit by it before ..
5 individual bookings do not cause any hassle ime and have done it numerous times. The hotel just transfers the foio each day and still just end up making a single payment at the end but without the risk of being hit with an early departure fee. I do it when staying at hotels which have the fee ( which are very uncommon where I tend to stay ).
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:13 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've not been hit with an early departure fee. However, I can understand why they do that. Think about it from their perspective:

Customer A books a room for 3 nights. Customer B calls about a room for night 3, but is told the hotel has no availability. After night 2, Customer A decides to check out early. The room is now vacant, but the hotel is unable to fill the room for the night, losing out on that revenue.

It's much like the fee for a no-show. Since they held the room for you all night, they missed out on the revenue from filling it, and as such, you get dinged for the previously agreed upon fee.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This fee is stated VERY clearly in the T&C's every time you book online, so whilst it is unhelpful and customer unfriendly you have always been warned!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I've not been hit with an early departure fee. However, I can understand why they do that. Think about it from their perspective:

Customer A books a room for 3 nights. Customer B calls about a room for night 3, but is told the hotel has no availability. After night 2, Customer A decides to check out early. The room is now vacant, but the hotel is unable to fill the room for the night, losing out on that revenue.

It's much like the fee for a no-show. Since they held the room for you all night, they missed out on the revenue from filling it, and as such, you get dinged for the previously agreed upon fee.
If the hotel has a "cancel by" time that is not on day of arrival I can accept this to an extent. If the hotel has a auto cancel at 6pm (not guaranteed) or cancel by 6pm day of arrival policy then a person can just make X consecutive bookings and just cancel as needed ( as I have done when going to hotels with that policy ). Just check out as normal and cancel the remaining bookings

If it is a special rate where it is cheaper based on X nights or if the hotel has a cancel at least 1 or 2 days in advance of check in policy, then the early departure fee has merit

They are no more "dinged" by someone checking out early, than by someone who cancels at 5pm or has an unguaranteed booking which they let lapse

The policy is there and definitely agree that they can charge it, but seems v flawed concept when its a booking type that can just do multiple occurrences as necessary
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, BA/Iberia Avios, AAdvantage
Question

Originally Posted by Raffles
This fee is stated VERY clearly in the T&C's every time you book online, so whilst it is unhelpful and customer unfriendly you have always been warned!
Hi Raffles: Can you help me on this one?

I have a stay this weekend (Fri/Sat) which has been pre-paid on the IDEX1 (2-4-1) rate. However, I have to checkout on Sat AM and not stay for the 2nd (Free) night.

My printed confirmation states the usual T&C's i.e. the £50 surchage for early checkout. But, am I liable to to pay the early checkout Fees as the 2nd night is free?

Thanx in advance.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:16 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TsarTsar
Hi Raffles: Can you help me on this one?

I have a stay this weekend (Fri/Sat) which has been pre-paid on the IDEX1 (2-4-1) rate. However, I have to checkout on Sat AM and not stay for the 2nd (Free) night.

My printed confirmation states the usual T&C's i.e. the £50 surchage for early checkout. But, am I liable to to pay the early checkout Fees as the 2nd night is free?

Thanx in advance.
The 2-4-1 rates are normally pre charged to your credit card at (or shortly after) the time of booking. If you make sure you have no incidentals to pay, why don't you just leave the room on the Sat AM? It's not as if you're leaving without paying! You may still get hit with the surcharge or the hotel may just let it go?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Odds are that as long as you do not leave the keys behind (usual hint to staff that you no longer need them), and the room isn't listed on housekeeping's Checking Out Today roster, the cleaner will make up the room as though you'll be back, and the next day she gets a bonus (from you) in that she doesn't really have to do anything to mark the room "done" and move on to the next one.

The 50 quid for early checkout would be more a liability against a paid stay, like an airline change fee, than likely assessed as a direct penalty. I don't see them assessing it on a prepaid stay at all, even if you told them (don't!).

Where it comes into play would be:

"I need to leave after 3 nights of this 5 night stay."

"Okay, your rate is 99 pounds per night, so we'll add a line item of 50, and you're off the hook for the 198 you would've paid."
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:56 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Odds are that as long as you do not leave the keys behind (usual hint to staff that you no longer need them), and the room isn't listed on housekeeping's Checking Out Today roster, the cleaner will make up the room as though you'll be back, and the next day she gets a bonus (from you) in that she doesn't really have to do anything to mark the room "done" and move on to the next one.
Don't leave the keys behind, leave on Saturday morning. Housekeeping will probably assume you'll be back later that day, like Points Scrounger said. Then, on Sunday morning, before check-out, call the hotel, tell them that you were in a hurry to get somewhere, and forgot to stop by the front desk and check-out on Sunday morning.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, BA/Iberia Avios, AAdvantage
Thumbs up

Hi: BHDBOY, Points Scrounger & Kipper.

Many thanks for your comments. I will take your advise and leave on Sat AM with my key (and add it to my collection of 100's of other keys). This is preferable to wriggling across reception floor on my belly towards the main door. LOL

I will call the hotel later and advise them that I had to leave in a hurry and didn't have time to check out.

Thanks again. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.