Reward Booking

Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Reward Booking

We are looking to use points to stay in Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi in February 2012. Great deal of 20000 points per night compared to Crowne Plaza next door (where we stayed this Feb) which is 25000 points per night.

Firstly, we would need to do two bookings as we each don't have enough points in our own right for the total stay. However, I have emailed the hotel and asked if they would be able to link the bookings which they said they would.

I have also asked them about the 10% service charge and 6% tourism tax which Abu Dhabi Hotels charges as I realise we would have to pay this. They fail to answer my question which I have now asked for the third time.

My concern is that at the moment the rates quoted on the IHG website for next February are extremely high. The hotel itself by email has quoted me 500AED for a suite per night at the Staybridge Suites for next Feb. However, the website is quoting 3350AED per night. So, what is the 16% calculated on?

If it is calculated on the 3350AED that amounts to 536AED per night which is higher than the room rate the email from the hotel

I assume to book reward nights I will need to do it through the website rather than the hotel but I do not want to pay 536AED per night in taxes?

Can anyone explain please how this works?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by c2lass
We are looking to use points to stay in Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi in February 2012. Great deal of 20000 points per night compared to Crowne Plaza next door (where we stayed this Feb) which is 25000 points per night.

Firstly, we would need to do two bookings as we each don't have enough points in our own right for the total stay. However, I have emailed the hotel and asked if they would be able to link the bookings which they said they would.

I have also asked them about the 10% service charge and 6% tourism tax which Abu Dhabi Hotels charges as I realise we would have to pay this. They fail to answer my question which I have now asked for the third time.

My concern is that at the moment the rates quoted on the IHG website for next February are extremely high. The hotel itself by email has quoted me 500AED for a suite per night at the Staybridge Suites for next Feb. However, the website is quoting 3350AED per night. So, what is the 16% calculated on?

If it is calculated on the 3350AED that amounts to 536AED per night which is higher than the room rate the email from the hotel

I assume to book reward nights I will need to do it through the website rather than the hotel but I do not want to pay 536AED per night in taxes?

Can anyone explain please how this works?
In almost all cases you don't pay any taxes on an award stay. You paid $0 for the award, so nothing to tax.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply

Is that so?

When I go in as though I am going to book, it tells me I have to pay the taxes?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Thanks for the reply

Is that so?

When I go in as though I am going to book, it tells me I have to pay the taxes?
You are paying with points. What's 16% x 0?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
Stayed there on ponts, a good deal indeed.
No other charges levied on check out, so dont worry.
Enjoy, and try the Noodle Box in the Yas while you are there!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
In all my reward stays, I only had to pay tax once on a Hilton stay in Japan for Onsen taxes. Never had to pay stay taxes at Hilton or IHG.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the interesting replies which read as really good news.

As I said if I have to pay the 16% on the rates they are quoting today it makes it extremely expensive.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Thanks for the interesting replies which read as really good news.

As I said if I have to pay the 16% on the rates they are quoting today it makes it extremely expensive.
No, you definetly won't pay 16% taxes (of 0 AED roomrate = 0 AED, btw.)

Priority Club terms and conditions:
REWARD NIGHTS

1. Advance reservations are required.
2. Each reward is valid only for a double or king room for one night and tax. [...]
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Maybe you should ask us once more if you have to pay the taxes though... Just to be sure.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:56 am

Count me in as another who has never paid tax on an award stay.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:33 am

My experience:
You don't pay tax if you use points only.
You pay tax on cash portion if you use cash + points.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:03 am

HI Charles de Gaulle charge €1,10 city tax pp
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Ah maybe that explains it. I was looking at part cash, part rewards as well as reward only.

So, if I did say 15000 points and $40, I would pay the 16% on the $40?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Ah maybe that explains it. I was looking at part cash, part rewards as well as reward only.

Give us the deails exactly so we can give you an answer that is correct.
The way you ae asking is disjointed and irksome.

If you want help give all needed info the first time.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

No, the $40 just buys the 5000 points and it is still processed as a free night using 20,000 points.

You will not pay tax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.