Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
Is the website screwed up for anyone else? Every time I click on award calendar, it bombs out on me...
Yes, I noticed last night, thought it might be my browser version...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by delmolino
Yes, I noticed last night, thought it might be my browser version...
it seemed to be down for a few days, but appears to be up and running again.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by dedkends
it seemed to be down for a few days, but appears to be up and running again.
Yea, I was hoping it would bring with it some availability, but no luck.

I'm still looking for 9/28 if anyone is going to dump it...otherwise we'll be slumming it at Le Moana our first night.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
After coming back from our award trip to Europe we're back in the mood for a South Pacific vacation again, either Fiji, Cooks or FP (been to FP 3 times, but never tired of it). Reading back some pages of this thread and wondering; are people actually hoarding whatever individual award dates that come available and then holding them hostage until others free up their preferred travel dates and then hoping for a swap once they release their dates? It wasn't this difficult in the past when the award night was a garden view and not OWB. Plus, I think the publicity via blogs brought more attention from points users (I'm a points user too, but began using points for trips to FP before I read any blogs). Third reason for more popularity among points users is the favorable exchange rate makes food, spending and excursions cheaper for them (although BB is still very expensive and not doable for many).

Anyone here that primarily uses points to travel also go to Cooks Islands, Fiji or other SP islands that have also been to Moorea and BB? Curious what your experience has been even if it's not all about IHG properties in South Pacific. We're thinking if we go back a fourth time to FP on points we might try one of the other smaller islands besides BB and Moorea. Other options are Cooks which takes more travel time or Fiji. Finding it difficult to get award seats on Fiji Airways since they are stingy especially with business seats.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:38 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Churnman
After coming back from our award trip to Europe we're back in the mood for a South Pacific vacation again, either Fiji, Cooks or FP (been to FP 3 times, but never tired of it). Reading back some pages of this thread and wondering; are people actually hoarding whatever individual award dates that come available and then holding them hostage until others free up their preferred travel dates and then hoping for a swap once they release their dates? It wasn't this difficult in the past when the award night was a garden view and not OWB. Plus, I think the publicity via blogs brought more attention from points users (I'm a points user too, but began using points for trips to FP before I read any blogs). Third reason for more popularity among points users is the favorable exchange rate makes food, spending and excursions cheaper for them (although BB is still very expensive and not doable for many).

Anyone here that primarily uses points to travel also go to Cooks Islands, Fiji or other SP islands that have also been to Moorea and BB? Curious what your experience has been even if it's not all about IHG properties in South Pacific. We're thinking if we go back a fourth time to FP on points we might try one of the other smaller islands besides BB and Moorea. Other options are Cooks which takes more travel time or Fiji. Finding it difficult to get award seats on Fiji Airways since they are stingy especially with business seats.
When I booked my nights at IC Thalasso, 350 days in advance of my stay, it appeared they were allocating four rooms for award reservations. I noticed Thalasso's award availability really dry up when all those "Into the Nights" two-free nights started being awarded. A lot of the points bloggers started using Thalasso as an example of a really great use for those two free nights.

I think this is a good example of why you want to diversify your points into more than just one program. Thalasso isn't the only place to stay on Bora Bora with points. In addition to the Moana, there are also two Starwood and one Hilton property. It's a good idea to be a little flexible about where you stay.

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mercruiser
When I booked my nights at IC Thalasso, 350 days in advance of my stay, it appeared they were allocating four rooms for award reservations. I noticed Thalasso's award availability really dry up when all those "Into the Nights" two-free nights started being awarded. A lot of the points bloggers started using Thalasso as an example of a really great use for those two free nights.

I think this is a good example of why you want to diversify your points into more than just one program. Thalasso isn't the only place to stay on Bora Bora with points. In addition to the Moana, there are also two Starwood and one Hilton property. It's a good idea to be a little flexible about where you stay.

Yes but the St Regis Bora Bora charges a very high number of points and given the worth of Starwood points, I"m not really sure that makes too much sense. The Meridien Bora Bora is just an okay property.

And Hilton points are worthless. I could imagine how many points they would require in Bora Bora, would likely be astronomical.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by mercruiser

I agree. In our past trips to FP we've used SPG, Hilton and IHG, plus Arrival and Cap One points. The SPG properties in BB are astronomical when it comes to point stays now and the Hilton devalued their points a great deal before we arrived there last year. The Hliton BB has been reconstructing much of the property since summer 2014, but doing sections at a time. However, I noticed there's no availability, not even cash stays, for next year. It's strange if they simply haven't loaded what's only months away, but I'm wondering if some of the main areas will be shut down.
We also liked Hilton Moorea, but we've been there twice and both times for at least 10 days, so looking at islands we haven't been to. We can use Arrival points or Cap 1 for any hotel that's not part of the big points chains.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

I agree. In our past trips to FP we've used SPG, Hilton and IHG, plus Arrival and Cap One points. The SPG properties in BB are astronomical when it comes to point stays now and the Hilton devalued their points a great deal before we arrived there last year.
It sounds like you're saying you agree that it was the right thing to do in the past but now that SPG BB properties are astronomical and since Hilton downgraded, you no longer agree.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:42 am

Once you factor in an AXON and how easy it is to earn HH points with the Surpass, the redemption at the Hilton BB isn't that bad. It is the equivalent of 64k/night if you stay 5 nights.

Last edited by bmrisko; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:51 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Once you factor in an AXON and how easy it is to earn HH points with the Surpass, the redemption at the Hilton BB isn't that bad. It is the equivalent of 64k/night if you stay 5 nights.
So 320,000 Hilton points? Not really an amazing deal as that wouldn't even get you an OWB.

Also, I realize you can rack up Hilton points easily with the Surpass but there is a reason for that, they are worthless. Well technically speaking worth .4 cents per point. So yea at restaurants you can get 6 points per dollar which is yielding a return of 2.4% but then you need to factor in the opportunity cost of spending on another top dining card like the Sapphire or Citi TYP. On the Sapphire (which are worth 2.1 cents), you'd be getting a 4.2% yield, and even higher on the Citi TYP.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

If I end up staying at Thalasso and not Moana at all, what's the shuttle situation if you just want to go to the main island to get water and alcohol and snacks? Also, people have mentioned bottled water in the rooms - can anyone comment on how much water is provided if you have no status? I'm currently platinum but may only be gold when we arrive. What about if no status at all?

And finally, does anyone have updated menus they could post?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
It sounds like you're saying you agree that it was the right thing to do in the past but now that SPG BB properties are astronomical and since Hilton downgraded, you no longer agree.
It's not just about devalued points, but award room availability. I can get the points if I don't already have them and use them here if I think its worth it. But, I know of no one who's recently had an award stay at the St. Regis (SPG) for example or that can even book one award night at the Hilton BB. In fact, due to needed reconstruction at the Hilton they had to rebook some people into other hotels. When they allowed future bookings and then the construction materials to complete the remodel were not as fast as anticipated, they had to move some bookings into other resorts. Now, you can't book anything online for 2016, but can email the dates you want and they'll get back to you. That's even for cash bookings.

Back to my original question: are people hoarding award dates at the Thalasso even if they have no intention of going at that time? I would think it would be very risky to hold an award night hostage in hopes someone would swap dates. Each would have to cancel and then there's a good chance someone else could snap it up. It can take a bit for the room to be in inventory again. Just wondering if hoarding is occuring since I saw some references to people booking any award night even if it's when they don't think they'll travel to FP.

To the person wondering about receiving water if you're not Ambassador. Even though I'm amb I still bring my Steripen and use it on tap water when on vacation in South Pacific since the couple bottles we do get per day don't last. Although, I had no problems drinking the water at the Thalasso straight out of the tap, so I would refill our bottles. I did have problems in Moorea drinking tap water at the Hilton, therefore had to use my Steripen there. Thalasso's water is great and I have a sensitive stomach. They have a great system.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:44 pm

It's not just about devalued points, but award room availability. I can get the points if I don't already have them and use them here if I think its worth it. But, I know of no one who's recently had an award stay at the St. Regis (SPG) for example or that can even book one award night at the Hilton BB. In fact, due to needed reconstruction at the Hilton they had to rebook some people into other hotels. When they allowed future bookings and then the construction materials to complete the remodel were not as fast as anticipated, they had to move some bookings into other resorts. Now, you can't book anything online for 2016, but can email the dates you want and they'll get back to you. That's even for cash bookings.

Back to my original question: are people hoarding award dates at the Thalasso even if they have no intention of going at that time? I would think it would be very risky to hold an award night hostage in hopes someone would swap dates. Each would have to cancel and then there's a good chance someone else could snap it up. It can take a bit for the room to be in inventory again. Just wondering if hoarding is occuring since I saw some references to people booking any award night even if it's when they don't think they'll travel to FP.

To the person wondering about receiving water if you're not Ambassador. Even though I'm amb I still bring my Steripen and use it on tap water when on vacation in South Pacific since the couple bottles we do get per day don't last. Although, I had no problems drinking the water at the Thalasso straight out of the tap, so I would refill our bottles. I did have problems in Moorea drinking tap water at the Hilton, therefore had to use my Steripen there. Thalasso's water is great and I have a sensitive stomach. They have a great system.

Thanks for the reply re: water - can you comment on how much water is provided, and do you know if everyone gets water?

I'm not sure if people are hoarding nights. I did comment that I have bookings in Oct and Nov and if someone had Nov nights I could use I would gladly give them my Oct nights. Yes, I am aware of the risks. I did not book October with the intention of trading them, I booked it because it worked better for me but lining up the flights has been a challenge (currently flights booked for Nov). That said, I think I might have sorted out the OCtober flights so if all goes according to plan I'm releasing my non-consecutive Nov nights.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
If I end up staying at Thalasso and not Moana at all, what's the shuttle situation if you just want to go to the main island to get water and alcohol and snacks? Also, people have mentioned bottled water in the rooms - can anyone comment on how much water is provided if you have no status? I'm currently platinum but may only be gold when we arrive. What about if no status at all?

And finally, does anyone have updated menus they could post?
Le Moana gave me 1L water bottle every day. Thalasso gave me 1L bottle only first day, and 2 250mL bottles at turndown everyday. I did ask housekeeping for more 1L bottle, but they said 'no' I need to call 'room service.' I am assuming they do not give you new bottle and I need to pay for it.

The shuttle to mainland before 4pm is free. Menu is typically American with pizza starting at $25 and burgers/fries starting at $29. Mixed drinks starts at $22 and go up from there; happy hours are B1G1 free starting 5:30pm. Avoid the international buffet nite...pretty disappointing.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by qdmd
Le Moana gave me 1L water bottle every day. Thalasso gave me 1L bottle only first day, and 2 250mL bottles at turndown everyday. I did ask housekeeping for more 1L bottle, but they said 'no' I need to call 'room service.' I am assuming they do not give you new bottle and I need to pay for it.

The shuttle to mainland before 4pm is free. Menu is typically American with pizza starting at $25 and burgers/fries starting at $29. Mixed drinks starts at $22 and go up from there; happy hours are B1G1 free starting 5:30pm. Avoid the international buffet nite...pretty disappointing.
This is also what we received as far as water. Once we had a couple bottles we kept filling those and then also had 2 new small bottles each day. We never needed to buy bottles of water since the tap water is fine. We never needed our Steripen here, but we did over at the Hilton BB.

As Ambassador, we also received a fruit bowl upon arrival and a nice canvas tote bag which my wife still uses on other vacations. I understand that sometimes these bags are available, but not sure if they give them out all the time to Ambassador guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.