Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by kpc
Anyone know the ferry schedule from Vaitape to Bora Bora airport? Our flight from BOB leave at 330pm on a Thursday..thanks in advance!
You'll need to be on the 14:15 ferry (2:15pm). The next one isn't until after 4pm.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:13 pm

Anyone want to trade 2 nights between Jan 25 - Jan 30 for April 7 & 8?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by chasewalker
Anyone want to trade 2 nights between Jan 25 - Jan 30 for April 7 & 8?
Help me understand exactly what you are thinking? Because I seem to be getting from your post the following :

You have speculatively booked rooms in april with points as a bargaining chip to trade to someone who may have speculatively booked rooms in january for bargaining?

Perhaps it is just my own circumstances that prevents me from seeing things differently, but I just don't see it as a reasonable expectation that someone would have dates in january booked and freely give those up and change travel plans just because you offer dates in April.

Care to explain your reasoning better?

BTW, we have OWB at Thalasso for 7 days in late january ending on the 27th.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Help me understand exactly what you are thinking? Because I seem to be getting from your post the following :

You have speculatively booked rooms in april with points as a bargaining chip to trade to someone who may have speculatively booked rooms in january for bargaining?

Perhaps it is just my own circumstances that prevents me from seeing things differently, but I just don't see it as a reasonable expectation that someone would have dates in january booked and freely give those up and change travel plans just because you offer dates in April.

Care to explain your reasoning better?

BTW, we have OWB at Thalasso for 7 days in late january ending on the 27th.
I originally booked April 2-9 at both Le Moana & Thalasso. Recently found out my wife is pregnant, so we have to switch our vacation to January. Not the most ideal time to go, but it is what it is! I am hoping that someone who booked January (and is not planning on going) would like to trade for April now that we can't go then.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:41 pm

Back from 2 weeks in Paradise

We have just returned from 2 weeks in the French Polynesia and it was truly amazing.

Our stays were distributed:
1 night at IC Tahiti
6 nights at IC Thalasso Bora Bora
3 nights at Kia Ora in Rangiroa
3 nights at Pension Tetamanu Village in Fakarava

We decided to stay one night in Tahiti to watch the surfing in Teahupoo (it was supposed to be during the Bilabong Pro competition but the day we where there surfers were only practicing) and take a Whale Watch excursion and we both liked this decision.

Bora Bora is a truly gem, the topside experience is absolutely amazing and Thalasso is a nice property. I booked 4 nights on points (Emerald) and 2 nights with the Ambassador weekend (Diamond End of Pontoon), when we arrived they informed us we were upgraded 1 night for the Diamond, staying 3+3. We got rooms 203 which we thought had a good privacy and then got room 212 where the deck had an amazing view of Mt Otemanu (but not the bedroom and bathroom), rooms are exactly the same, difference is only the view, and location in the pontoon. We were offered the breakfast deal at check-in (which we took) but we thought that breakfast was only ok, the one we had at IC Tahiti was much better.

Food and beverages are expensive but in general they were very well prepared. We took the boat to get to know Le Moana and our impression is that it is a real step down, especially without the gorgeous view of Mt Otemanu (IC Thalasso has probably the best view in Bora Bora), but it was nice to walk on Matira Beach. We had some drinks at Bloody Mary's (we did not like the menu) and ended up eating at the Sofitel (much cheaper).

We had a dinner at Le Corail during my wife's birthday night, and it was surprisingly exquisite. Food was very good the the wines and drinks were also good but priced at a 2 to 3 star Michelin star restaurant in the USA. We went to the Polynesian Buffet and thought it was ok but really enjoyed the show, on wednesday we skipped the other buffet but watched the show having some drinks on a side table. Service was very good and friendly and staff seemed generally happy and satisfied to be there, this created a very relaxing environment.

I scuba dove 8 times with Top Dive. I liked the fact that it departs from the resort, but there were some issues that makes me not to recommend them: security issues (not analyzing nitrox mixes, and even allowing a diver who seemed not to know what nitrox is to dive it is not up to my security standards). My wife snorkeled while I dove and she had fun looking at the Manta Rays at Anau one day the visibility was good, she also saw some sharks and me diving at Tapu (viz of 50+) but dives in Bora Bora are kind of Boring Boring, I recommend Anau for the Mantas, Toopai for the spotted eagle rays and Tapu for some sharks, but do not expect much. While diving I could take an outside look at other properties (St Regis, Le Meridien, Four Seasons, Hilton) and also talking to people who were staying in the other properties my impression is Thalasson is probably tied with St Regis and that Four Seasons is the top dog there.

Wife went to the Spa once, and it is incredibly expensive, but she said the facilities are outstanding, she mentioned that she did not like to much the massage she got (she might be spoiled after our trips to Thailand).

We had amazing 6 nights at the property, but for our interest (top side and marine life) we had a better time at the Conrad Maldives. The properties at the Maldives are much more luxurious with pools at the overwater bungalow decks (not that it matters much) and the marine life at the Thalasso is almost non existent when compared to Conrad. Would we go back to IC Thalasso: oh yeah!

After Bora Bora we went to Rangiroa and stayed at a beach bungalow at the Kia Ora. All I have to say that Rangiroa is my favorite place on earth currently, on dives I saw several sharks (black tips, white tips, silver tips, grey, and a great hammerhead), mantas, napoleon wrasses, dolphins, turtles, etc, etc, etc. In our first dive in the Avatoru pass when we started descending we could hear whales communicating, and after a while we saw the silhouette of 2 humpback whales passing by at the distance: it can't get any better than this! Kia Ora is a nice property - though Thalasso is nicer - and prices are overall more affordable. The snorkelling at Tiputa Pass is already a hearbreaker, the sheer amount of sharks and unicorn fishes we saw was unbelievable for just a snorkel trip. I wholehearted recommend Rangiroa to anybody, probably the duo Bora Bora and Rangiroa is a winner combination! To make things even more memorable, the sunsets and sunrises we got there were amazing, in the last sunrise we saw humpback whales jumping close to Tiputa Pass. Best prices we found on pearls were at the Gauguin's farm in Rangi, my wife bargained and got a good discount.

Fakarava is a place I wanted to go because of the quantity of sharks one can see in every dive, and it truly is amazing, but it is so isolated (we did not have even cel phone connection, internet is non existant where we were), that in hindsight I should have stayed 6 nights in Rangiroa. But the quantity of sharks there blowed my diving mind away.

Finally, I got the internal flights with Air Tahiti at a Multi island Fare (EUR565 per adult) and after showing my certification card they weren't picky with weight (we were about 3 to 4 kgs over the limit).

In our next visit we will probably go to Moorea, Tikehau, and maybe the Marquesas.

I hope this brief trip report help you and feel free to ask anything while things are still fresh in my mind!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by delmolino
We have just returned from 2 weeks in the French Polynesia and it was truly amazing.

Our stays were distributed:
1 night at IC Tahiti
6 nights at IC Thalasso Bora Bora
3 nights at Kia Ora in Rangiroa
3 nights at Pension Tetamanu Village in Fakarava
Do you recall approximately how much it was per night a Kia Ora?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:33 am

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

around $325. Le Maitai is cheaper and people who stayed there seemed to also like it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:22 am

Anyone willing to trade nights? I have Feb 13th & would like to have the 9th.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Arriving late at night in Tahiti on my first night so will have to wait till following day to fly to BOB.

Is there a consensus on the best place to stay for that night?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Arriving late at night in Tahiti on my first night so will have to wait till following day to fly to BOB.

Is there a consensus on the best place to stay for that night?
I've heard Tahiti Airport Motel is perfectly adequate for 1 night and within walking distance of the airport. We are staying at Hotel Tiare Tahiti in downtown Pape'ete since we are taking the ferry to Moorea the next day and the hotel is close to the ferry terminal.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I've heard Tahiti Airport Motel is perfectly adequate for 1 night and within walking distance of the airport. We are staying at Hotel Tiare Tahiti in downtown Pape'ete since we are taking the ferry to Moorea the next day and the hotel is close to the ferry terminal.
Is it safe to walk late at night? How long of a walk?

Debating that or using some points at IC Tahiti, but flight from LAX lands at 9:50pm and flight to BOB is around 9:30am so not sure if it is worth staying at IC.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tylerc

Debating that or using some points at IC Tahiti, but flight from LAX lands at 9:50pm and flight to BOB is around 9:30am so not sure if it is worth staying at IC.
Right across the street from the airport, no problem with safety. The hardest part was walking our luggage up the hill to the motel, it was the end of a 3 and a half week trip and we had heavy luggage due to different climates we were in.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:00 am
Suspended

I was having this same debate. IC Tahiti is obviously superior to the airport hotel, just wondering about the logic of it.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:54 am

...not sure if it is worth staying at IC.
Of course it is. It's a 5 min taxi ride.
The crappy motel across the street will be a 20 min walk uphill...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Of course it is. It's a 5 min taxi ride.
The crappy motel across the street will be a 20 min walk uphill...
5 min taxi ride to IC Tahiti from Airport? Are you sure? If that's true, I will definitely stay there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.