Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
[QUOTE=brandinius2;14633363]
I've gone with
Arikok National Park, Aruba, Netherlands/QUOTE]

Isn't the country the Netherlands Antilles?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
[QUOTE=stimpy;14633405]
Originally Posted by brandinius2
I've gone with
Arikok National Park, Aruba, Netherlands/QUOTE]

Isn't the country the Netherlands Antilles?
I think it's neither. As it is written in Wiki:
Aruba, which has no administrative subdivisions, is one of the three countries that form the Kingdom of the Netherlands, together with the Netherlands and the Netherlands Antilles.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
It is not the national park as the Californial lighthouse is outside of the park as are the boats pictured.

Mount Hooiberg as well is outside of the park so that would lead me to believe that just Aruba would be sufficient for an answer.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jackplum
It is not the national park as the Californial lighthouse is outside of the park as are the boats pictured.

Mount Hooiberg as well is outside of the park so that would lead me to believe that just Aruba would be sufficient for an answer.
Does that mean that you would get the points if you gave a narrow answer that included the work Aruba (like the National Park)? It is not even clear if the entries are being sorted by hand or if PC is getting a computer to decide which ones are correct, which I can see leading to trouble!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:57 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It is not even clear if the entries are being sorted by hand
If they are it will take them years, so I think we can make a wild guess...

Originally Posted by Raffles
or if PC is getting a computer to decide which ones are correct, which I can see leading to trouble!
What, no faith in PC's IT?

My guess is that many entrants will get 500 points, some will get 1,000, some will get 1,500, some will get 2,000 and some will get more than one of the above. And I won't get any.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:05 am

My guess is that many entrants will get 500 points, some will get 1,000, some will get 1,500, some will get 2,000 and some will get more than one of the above. And I won't get any.

GOOD ONE.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by notebookgrail
Folks, Here is the picture from day 4. See if you can figure the place.

I think it is Aruba.
how were you able to get this before friday?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:01 am

I went with Arashi, Aruba. Strictly based on the image, if you were standing in Arashi facing SE, the lighthouse would be to your immediate right with the Hooiberg volcano appearing in the distance. However, it is possible i put more thought into this than whoever desinged the clues.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
For the lighthouse to be on your right, you would have to be north of Arashi Beach almost to the dunes. You cannot see Hooiberg from there.

That aside, there are no moorings near Arashi. They are farther south by the Fishermen's Huts.

Another clue is the natural bridge in the center - which collapsed several years ago!

Finally, if the lighthouse was on your right as depicted in the picture, the ocean would be on your left.

All in all, an easy one. Waiting to see the next ones!!!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:04 am

My guess is that they told us to be specific because in some other cases there might be more than one place with the same name.
So if you see a photo of an Eiffel Tower don't write Paris only if you believe it is Paris, France, because:

There are fifteen American municipalities named "Paris," and more than a few have chosen to erect Eiffel Tower replicas to pay homage to their French namesake.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/6995

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Sep 11, 2010 at 4:55 am
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:23 am

I also received the bulk email one day after the contest started. Jee, thanks, Priority Club.

I've gone with
Arikok National Park, Aruba, Netherlands

for 3 days now.

It's based exactly on their suggested wording when you enter the contest - park, state, country.

I guess we'll see Monday...good luck all!
Why did you guess the same thing 3 days in a row? If you were right the first day you win. If you were wrong you win noting. I would think the best thing to do is change your answer every day.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by Jasondart
Why did you guess the same thing 3 days in a row? If you were right the first day you win. If you were wrong you win noting. I would think the best thing to do is change your answer every day.
Perhaps I did not understand correctly, but if you guess the correct answer on a given day, you get the number of points FOR THAT DAY (1500, 1000, 500, etc.)

Or does someone else have a different concept of how this works?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Perhaps I did not understand correctly, but if you guess the correct answer on a given day, you get the number of points FOR THAT DAY (1500, 1000, 500, etc.)

Or does someone else have a different concept of how this works?
I can't copy and paste from the flash application, but the FAQ includes:

You can only win one daily prize per week - based on the first day that you guess correctly.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Motors
Clue 2: Home to two indigenous species of birds
For the record, the clue in all its glory says "indigenious [sic] birds".

Presumably not secretary birds.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: Not Worthy...
Argh... "Come back Monday to see if you have won." Really, we can't verify a correct answer until Monday?

Frustrating, but love the promotion so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.