Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I don't know if this is helpful, but I've been to Arenal. Unfortunately the top of the volcano is obscured in my pic, but take a look at the Lodge's photos. Let's see what Jaimito Cartero has to say.

View from Arenal Observatory Lodge [May 2007]
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:57 am

I am sold, too...Turrialba Volcano National Park, Costa Rica

Look at the pic here:

http://packagecostarica.com/blog/?cat=3

Seems to be the same vulcano
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:17 am

Red face

I'm certainly no expert and have been very reliant on everyone's input so far (thanks!). But for this week, I thought I'd speak up.

I think this one can be narrowed down in two ways:

The picture points to Turrialba Volcano whereas the written clue points to
Arenal Volcano. As in previous challenges, it is the written clue which points to the correct answer, and despite my high hopes that a very advanced team of experts put together each weeks set of pictures and clues, I also realize that it's very unlikely. It is highly probable that their "expert team" has put in the search terms "costa rica volcano" in ShutterStock and spit out a few pretty images to throw on there. In defense of the written clue, as someone has already mentioned, the Wikipedia entry for Arenal Volcano specifically notes both its daily and nightly activity.

I will probably go with 'Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica' today and see what the written clue (and additional images) point at tomorrow.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: all
Irazu or Arenal?

I submitted IRAZU VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK, COSTA RICA. Confidence level: 50%.

As of now I think it's a virtual toss-up between the two volcanoes, Irazu and Arenal:
- The images are taken on Irazu; Arenal is in the background.
- Both Irazu and Arenal are somewhat active, with major eruptions in 1965 and 1968, respectively. Arenal is currently more active.
- Both are located in their own national park. The Arenal National Park is larger.
- Irazu is closer to the capital, San Jose (I have no data on NP popularity).
- Irazu is higher (3432 m vs. 1670 m). It's so much above Arenal that the image of the latter looks like an aerial photograph.

I'm gambling that a superfluous "National Park" does not matter, even if they were looking for the volcano only.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Possibly today is just going to be an outright guess between a few. From limited research and help on here, it looks like the POV is from Irazu Volcano, which is looking on to Turrialba Volcano. But is the mystery location the viewpoint or the view?

I'm thinking Turrialba is too far away to add any more detail, and Irazu seems more famous. From Google Maps it seems possible that one could see Turrialba from Irazu. Also I can see more clues for Irazu such as 'a sight of two seas', 'one of the highest summits', 'both the plants and water are green', and 'the way is through San José'.

Last edited by Motors; Oct 5, 2010 at 2:55 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: all
oops

Ok, please ignore most of what I said. The volcano in the background is not ARENAL, it's TURRIALBA. Turrialba is about as high as Irazu (3340 m) and their national parks are of comparable sizes. Turrialba is currently less active (but still active).

It looks like gold for Irazu, silver for Turrialba and bronze for Arenal, at least until the next clues. :-)

Last edited by morepork; Oct 5, 2010 at 2:51 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:51 am

a spanner in the works...

I follow the arguements re specific volcanos - however as one pster has pointed out - the picture points to one volcano - the clue to another -

moving on from this 'active both day and night' seems an odd thing to say about a volcano - theres no reason to suppose that a volcano should switch off at a certain time of day- an active volcano is an active volcano

perhaps the clue refers to a destination resort on Costa Rica -e.g a google search on the terms throws up San Jose as 'teeming with activity day and night'

what do you think?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:35 am

Lightbulb Night tours available

This website is just one of a couple I came across that offered night tours to the active volcano in Costa Rica http://www.arenalvolcanotours.com/tours/index.htm
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:36 am

How the heck do you guys get to this so quickly - got up, went to gym came back logged on and you already have two or three possible answers.

this quote from the Arenal Observatory Lodge website at
http://www.arenalobservatorylodge.co...no-history.php

"Arenal Volcano has maintained nearly constant activity ranging from soundless explosions with large mushroom-shaped clouds of ash overhead to booming explosions sending hot rocks nearly a kilometer into the air to pyroclastic explosions highlighted by rushing gases and flowing lava pouring down the side of the volcano. For visitors to Costa Rica, volcano viewing is the most promising at Arenal – no other volcano has been this consistently active."
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: BA, Airmiles, BMI, HH (Gold), Hyatt (Plat), IHG (Plat Amb), Marriott (Silver), A Club
I've gone with Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica.

Thanks to all those who have narrowed down the search. ^
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by SWANSRUS
I follow the arguements re specific volcanos - however as one pster has pointed out - the picture points to one volcano - the clue to another -

moving on from this 'active both day and night' seems an odd thing to say about a volcano - theres no reason to suppose that a volcano should switch off at a certain time of day- an active volcano is an active volcano

perhaps the clue refers to a destination resort on Costa Rica -e.g a google search on the terms throws up San Jose as 'teeming with activity day and night'

what do you think?
The vegetation from the Irazu shutterstock picture is looking into the lake at Diego de la Haya Crater. "The unusual bright greenish yellow coloring of the lake at Diego de la Haya Crater is caused by rainfall dissolving the minerals along the craters walls"

http://www.tourism.co.cr/costa-rica-...u-volcano.html

After last weeks multi location pictures of Sabah and with the 2 volcano's so far, I was thinking of a town or city where there would be IHG (5) or Hotel Anywhere (85) hotels, as Costa Rica would be too wide for a location and San Jose is not too far, but thinking of keeping it wide with TURRIALBA IRAZU VOLCANO NAT PARKS, SAN JOSE COSTA RICA.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:10 am

Lightbulb Clues for week 5

This is what has been discovered so far:
The photo for the week was most likely taken from:
IRAZÚ VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK (highest peak) gives the impression of an aerial view.

Looking at:
TURRIABLA VOLCANO (corrected)

Word Clue of Active both Day /Night most likely references:
ARENAL VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK

Last edited by Submariner682; Oct 5, 2010 at 5:01 am Reason: misspelling
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Monkey & Minkey
I've gone with Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica.

Thanks to all those who have narrowed down the search. ^
I'm going with this one too as I think PC would go with the most famous tourist attraction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arenal_Volcano You guys are great, the pics only been up a few hours!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Submariner682
This is what has been discovered so far:
The photo for the week was most likely taken from:
IRAZÚ VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK (highest peak) gives the impression of an aerial view.

Looking at:
TENORIO VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK

Word Clue of Active both Day /Night most likely references:
ARENAL VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK
From http://www.tourism.co.cr/costa-rica-...u-volcano.html it says:

"On clear days, it is possible to see the two oceans and most of Costa Rica from the top of Irazu."

From http://www.tourism.co.cr/costa-rica-...oes/index.html it lists 6 volcano's that are most popular - including Arenal, which I take your point, as it has nightly Lava flows, but haven't we identified the picture from Irazu as being Turriablu?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:54 am

you are correct Mick163

Originally Posted by Mick163
From http://www.tourism.co.cr/costa-rica-...u-volcano.html it says:

"On clear days, it is possible to see the two oceans and most of Costa Rica from the top of Irazu."

From http://www.tourism.co.cr/costa-rica-...oes/index.html it lists 6 volcano's that are most popular - including Arenal, which I take your point, as it has nightly Lava flows, but haven't we identified the picture from Irazu as being Turriablu?
When I cut/ pasted the info I grabbed the wrong NP. Thanks for the catch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.