Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort (Master Thread)

Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
I apologize for the impression that I was "throwing a tantrum" by capitalizing the request for the written reference. I am used to using text messages on my phone which is the only way to emphasize wording and forgot that I could use bold here in this forum. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to see where this rule is written that differs from what I read.

These forums on FT can sometimes get personal and sound like an attack...which I've always found odd. If someone else has a different opinion or experience at a brand that is a favorite of someone, that doesn't necessarily need to get personal...it's just a different opinion, experience, or at times frustration coming out from someone who has had a stressful experience. During those times we are not all at our best...and I'm the first to admit I get frustrated and stressed during travel and have taken that frustration to this board in search of an answer or to share my experience. It is at those times I do not always write as dispassionately or considerately as I should. For that again, I apologize to anyone who was offended.

Now to explain the reason I continued to ask for the written rule:

Many frequent travelers have standard operating procedures and this board not only discusses the actual rules but in many cases the "best practices" to include standard operating procedures. I also understood that this program was recently revamped when it changed its name from Priority Club to IHG Rewards and simply wanted to be sure that information being shared was not only "the way we always did it", but also the actual program rules. Based on what I read and had shared earlier, the benefits page lists extended checkout and room upgrade among other things, but only lists the caveat "subject to availability" next to room upgrade. To most readers who don't actually pour over the fine print in the T&C (and I would say most customers do not actually read the T&C), this is at the least misleading. In other words, why mention it against one benefit and not any of the others?

I appreciate the info and being pointed to the T&C which state that Special Services including extended checkout are subject to availability. That was in fact the question I was originally asking and again, my apologies if I didn't ask that correctly.

I do maintain that for those customers new to this chain, that the benefits page is confusing and think IHG Rewards would be better off adding the footnote that these various benefits are "subject to availability" on the main benefits page, as they have done for the room upgrades benefit.

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by scubaccr

By the way, neither is the Late Checkout a Platinum or Gold benefit, it actually has always applied to basic PCR Club Member level along with free newspaper.

Here is the Proof (under)
IHG REWARDS CLUB GLOBAL MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glo...ber-tc#general
I have to say, It is inconsistent on the benefits page to mark some benefits that are subject to availability, as such, and not mark others. It just encourages confusion.

Mind you, the OP has consistently refused to address the reasonable question of what extended checkout time he had agreed with himself, when no such time is mentioned on the benefits page.

I guess we'll never know.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 6, 2013 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon

At SPG, yes I was usually asked if I wanted late check out...but not always asked. And on the occasions where I wasn't asked nor did I tell them I wanted it, I was called in my room and asked when I would be checking out...and when I said I would be checking out late as a Platinum I was NEVER given any grief about it. This experience was very different.
FYI SPG PLT 4PM late check out is NOT guaranteed at resort and convention hotels where it is based on availability.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by nlfmanager
Staying here in 2 weeks. Booked with award night, so not expecting much.

Any recent success w/ a guaranteed cash upgrade?
i had partial ocean view on my free annual night cert stay. was also honeymoon, tho, so that might have helped.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold & multiple hotel programs
Just some general data from my stay -

Recently traded in some Priority Club points for a room over the Labor Day weekend (8/31 9/3). As a platinum level, I was provided coupons for two bottles of water, a 10% off certificate for use at Macys (in the building) and a coupon book for restaurants and shops located in the Outrigger hotels. No chocolate covered macadamia nuts for me. Side note - they were aware of the platinum level as they thanked me each time I spoke with anyone at the front desk.

1117 (I think this is the room number) The first room was located directly across from the elevator bank. It was a king bed partial ocean view. It did have a decent view once you went out on to the balcony. It also overlooked a number of air conditioning units. Since I am a light sleeper, I asked to be moved away from the elevator. I was moved to

701 This room may or may not have been considered a partial ocean view. One could peek through the buildings and trees to see a bit of the ocean. The room was located over/next to the International Marketplace, which offered plenty of entertainment for the guests on this side of the building. Elvis impersonators, Hawaiian singers, etc. were easily heard with the windows closed. The entertainment did stop right around 10:00 each night.

Good thing to have ear plugs at this hotel. If you forget yours, they also sell them in the gift shop.

During the afternoon prior to my departure day, I did ask about the possibility of a late checkout. The manager on duty was at the desk when I asked, so he first advised that I would have to wait until the day of checkout. I then asked what the normal late checkout time would be (if offered). He decided to take a look at occupancy levels just to get a feel. Based on the occupancy level, he thought that a late checkout would not be an issue. He also offered a rate of $30.00 which would allow for a check out at 5:00 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just had a pleasant 1 night stay. Room was ready a bit early (approx. 1pm). Upgraded to POV on the 13th floor. The elevator and room # said 14xx, but it is the 13th floor. View was "ok-enough." Room was better than the Princess Kaiulani next door, at a lower price. Lobby was pleasant. A box of marginal choco-mac-nuts showed up in the room while we were out for dinner, with a thank you card. Front desk staff very nice. Outside oise at night was quite loud @ 10pm. (Arrival night in HNL is almost always an early bed night.) I'd stay there again.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:14 am

I'm looking to stay here on a Rewards Night in June with hubby and kids. The reservation system will only let me reserve a room for two people. Has anyone had a problem getting a room with two beds in a reward night?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Is this place worth 35K points or $250 per night?
Planning a 5 night stay in february?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Is this place worth 35K points or $250 per night?
Planning a 5 night stay in february?
I stayed here in the summer when on my honeymoon and it only cost 25k points a night. Is it worth 35k? I'm not sure. The rooms are nice and the hotel location is good, but it isn't amazing. If you only have points with IHG then I guess you have no choice, and if I were in the same position I would book here again, but if you are paying cash then I would look at some of the other resorts across the road such as the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian or the outrigger. They are right on the beach and had some nice restaurants.

I'm not sure if they are in the same price range as the HI, but if they are close on price then I would book there over the Beachcomber.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:43 am

I have the same experience and opinion as AgEngineer. I wasn't on honeymon though - just vacation
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by AgEngineer
I stayed here in the summer when on my honeymoon and it only cost 25k points a night. Is it worth 35k? I'm not sure. The rooms are nice and the hotel location is good, but it isn't amazing. If you only have points with IHG then I guess you have no choice, and if I were in the same position I would book here again, but if you are paying cash then I would look at some of the other resorts across the road such as the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian or the outrigger. They are right on the beach and had some nice restaurants.

I'm not sure if they are in the same price range as the HI, but if they are close on price then I would book there over the Beachcomber.
Thanks for the response. I do have the IHG points, so can afford it points wise. I would not pay cash for the stay, and if doing so, probably not at this property...but why pay $$ for a stay when I can MS.

I have stayed at the Hilton Waikiki, so understand that this HI is a city hotel, noise, traffic, blocked view, etc, etc. If I had enough HH points, I would stay at Hilton Waikiki, at least I am guaranteed high floor, ocean view with less buildings in front, and EL lounge in basement, but have used them all up in Cabo.

Still debating about the 35K/ night, at 25K I would do it.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In sub 200 price range Hyatt place would be a much better choice - spending 35k or even 25k on holiday inn seems like a waste unless you have no other plans for point use at all.. Paying 200+ is a complete waste of $
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
After reading this thread in its entirety and looking at the hotel IHG website (reading and photos), I still don't know the answer to this question

I take it this property is not a beachfront property. Question though, is how far is it from the beach. Website says 300 steps which means little to me, how far is 300 steps in yards?

What is between the hotel and the beach?

I don't have to be on beach front but being very close as in a sub five minute walk would be ideal.

I've booked this for spring break with my kids for $170 per night+ without a view

I don't see any resort tax, so I take it there isn't one?

I have zero status so I don't expect any upgrades or anything above and beyond exactly what I pay for.

that said and done; how is the wifi in this building? any particular rooms to ask for (my rez is: 2 DBL BEDS WITH BALCONY NONSMOKING)

I've also booked the Hyatt Regency on points but Ideally i'd like to save those points for something else. I do have the Hyatt Place booked at $177 as well. The reviews I've read are that those rooms are tiny, its a little out of the way and I'm just not too thrilled with what I read.

anyway, right now I'm 50/50 as to whether I stay here or not.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: US,HH
Take the escalator down to the street level, cross the street and there is a small pathway between the Royal Hawaiian and some other hotel. Super easy and takes about 2 minutes.

Wifi seemed to be fine, can't remember have any problems with it nor do I remember a resort fee, but it has been nearly 2 years since I've been there.

My daughter took several surfing lessons from the RH and I thought the location was very good. ABC store a short stroll away as well as tons of shopping and restaurants close by.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kellio33
Take the escalator down to the street level, cross the street and there is a small pathway between the Royal Hawaiian and some other hotel. Super easy and takes about 2 minutes.

Wifi seemed to be fine, can't remember have any problems with it nor do I remember a resort fee, but it has been nearly 2 years since I've been there.

My daughter took several surfing lessons from the RH and I thought the location was very good. ABC store a short stroll away as well as tons of shopping and restaurants close by.
ABC stores are only a short stroll away from everywhere in Honolulu! I've never seen so many similar stores so densely populated.

TrojanHorse - as Kellio says, the hotel is on a road (a bit like a hawaian version of the Vegas strip) and not the beachfront. There is a row of hotels and shops running between it and the beach. If you look on the satellite image on google maps it accurately shows you the location of the hotel. You can either cut through the Royal Hawaiian across the street, or leave the hotel and turn left, walk for 5 minutes and the beach comes up alongside the road.

I had a room with a view, and it wasn't anything majorly impressive, so I wouldn't worry about that. The wifi was quite good, but i couldn't connect to it on my iphone when the ipad worked ok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.