Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC New York Times Square Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I have a reservation at this hotel (IC RA) for a deluxe room and a reservation at the Andaz 5th Avenue (Hyatt Diamond). Cost is similar. I tried to use a suite upgrade at the Andaz, but the splash suites are not available.

Which one would you stay at? Thanks!
For a few dozen reasons Andaz 5th Avenue
for a few good reasons just to start off with
First you have a Diamond breakfast benefit which is substantial IMHO (lemon pancake with Orange maple syrup to die for)
Second the Andaz 5th Ave is very well managed and will upgrade you further at arrival if they can or even by request as available the next day
You may end up saving a suite upgrade and getting a good set up as I have in the past

The IC TS is a nice enough but routine hotel with mediocre management not terrible at all but blah/Its all about the revenue and milking the cow as much as they can
Some of the team is incompetent and rude at the IC TS others fair enough
Something that takes a special talent as I find New York hotels in general do a good job even in limited service properties

In addition I value Gold Passport points far more than PC points
For airline miles or redemption. And you can take 1000 points at check in to kick off your stay
My rule of thumb IC Times Square on points when everything else is to high or if it is 300 dollars a night
Otherwise no way for me
Those are just opening thoughts and my 2 cents

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Thank you very much, 777 global mile hound! Andaz 5th Avenue it is.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Thank you very much, 777 global mile hound! Andaz 5th Avenue it is.
My pleasure
I think you will be very pleased.
The team is generally friendly can do
Have rarely ever encountered rudeness
They have a custom departing farewell amenity of a chocolate cracker or some other silly gesture but its thoughtful
At check in you can request a beverage sparkling or still water
Its all very civilized and a personal experience in a great location

IC Times Square doesn't value loyalty award reservations but revenue first
Andaz award redemption customers get the same level of recognition as do revenue

IC Times Square management flat out told me in writing
If you are booking on points you will be our last priority as a Royal Ambassador if someone books on revenue right up to the last minute and is of the same status
They did assign me a high floor guest room.
IC Times Square suites are bogus.
Large corner rooms they try and pass off as suites.
Perfectly nice as a large room goes but not as nice as Andaz true suites
Even the non suites at Andaz 5th like the lofts are nicer than IC so called studio suites
If you don't get a suite at Andaz press for the loft room its very suite like just a tad smaller. Good set up
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
My pleasure
I think you will be very pleased.
The team is generally friendly can do
Have rarely ever encountered rudeness
They have a custom departing farewell amenity of a chocolate cracker or some other silly gesture but its thoughtful
At check in you can request a beverage sparkling or still water
Its all very civilized and a personal experience in a great location

IC Times Square doesn't value loyalty award reservations but revenue first
Andaz award redemption customers get the same level of recognition as do revenue

IC Times Square management flat out told me in writing
If you are booking on points you will be our last priority as a Royal Ambassador if someone books on revenue right up to the last minute and is of the same status
They did assign me a high floor guest room.
IC Times Square suites are bogus.
Large corner rooms they try and pass off as suites.
Perfectly nice as a large room goes but not as nice as Andaz true suites
Even the non suites at Andaz 5th like the lofts are nicer than IC so called studio suites
If you don't get a suite at Andaz press for the loft room its very suite like just a tad smaller. Good set up
I never understand why people care about big suits, you are on vacation so staying in your room isn't top priority. \

Because you have had bad service doesn't mean other have, having just returned from NYC and stayed at IC TS again, I was ok with the service and our room. Would leave about 815am and return at 4pm, shower, change and go back out and return again at mid-night or so. Like the K-cup coffee maker and we would bring our own coffee since they don't stock what we like. I like the location of IC TS, again never had a problem here.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I never understand why people care about big suits, you are on vacation so staying in your room isn't top priority. \

Because you have had bad service doesn't mean other have, having just returned from NYC and stayed at IC TS again, I was ok with the service and our room. Would leave about 815am and return at 4pm, shower, change and go back out and return again at mid-night or so. Like the K-cup coffee maker and we would bring our own coffee since they don't stock what we like. I like the location of IC TS, again never had a problem here.
I am pleased to hear about your satisfactory stay at the IC Times Square
Its a nice hotel. I think you may have misunderstood my criticism
Its not to say the IC Times Square is a bad hotel (though I have experienced much rudeness with the front door folks on occasion
as well as some select very friendly can do individuals.
The poster here asked for direct elite recognition comparisons between the two properties when paying the same price
I took my own vast experience at both properties and shared my opinions.
It wasn't to trash the hotel but to say the hotel is less generous with recognition compared to a competitor the poster asked about

To reflect further on your question
Folks/Frequent Travelers care about suites because it affords them the luxury of more space (especially when traveling with others)
When earning a top tier status by staying 50 to 100 nights a year its a very valued amenity by the lions share of frequent travelers.
That has been documented in most survey's and social media
A visit to the SPG forum and Hyatt will demonstrate just how much members value these perks as available or offered.

IC Times Square thinks its appropriate to give out large corner rooms put in a silly screen between the bed and a small sofa and call it a suite upgrade for their best customers.
Some folks may be fine with it others not especially those coming from other IHG properties or competitors
I stayed for years with IC Times Square since opening and certainly enjoyed some of my stays there overall
However Id say less on recognition and more that is a nice enough hotel hard product wise.
They are the best property for certain that IHG has ever had in New York City.
I think I speak for many when I say that as a former Royal Ambassador for many years there is far greater expectation than a non elite member might have or a Platinum(non Ambassador)that has no Ambassador status.In that regard when the hotel guest doesn't
have an elite expectation the hotel may indeed be highly satisfactory for what you get.

As an IC goes IC Times Square is still somewhat inferior business culture compared to the IC Boston or IC San Francisco who are outstanding
So for those reasons IC Times Square IMHO pales in comparison to a number of other 4 star properties in NYC
It starts at the top with their management/ownership.
In addition though not part of the program there is no published breakfast benefit or one offered to frequent guests
Also no club lounge to be upgraded or pay up for and a front of the house that has been rough around the edges
Ill refrain here from the unusual acts of rudeness I have seen here on occasion in the decades of living in and visiting New York City
Even the rough around the edges Grand Hyatt has better Union doormen and front of the house assistance

I wouldn't hesitate to go back
as I have stated before
Though It would be far from the top of my list
My suggestion to you would be to try some other programs and properties You may find you are missing out on a lot of exceptional opportunities in recognition and overall experiences.
And of course you cant go terribly wrong with the IC Times Square property.
Its really about the elite perspective and direct comparisons to other programs and their branded properties
Cheers
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
[B]
To reflect further on your question
Folks/Frequent Travelers care about suites because it affords them the luxury of more space (especially when traveling with others)
When earning a top tier status by staying 50 to 100 nights a year its a very valued amenity by the lions share of frequent travelers.
That has been documented in most survey's and social media
A visit to the SPG forum and Hyatt will demonstrate just how much members value these perks as available or offered.
I'm a 150 a night SPG person and yes getting a suit is nice, but I don't put a lot of emphasis on how much a hotel chain values me by how often I'm in a suite. Many times when I check into a SPG property I'll decline a suite when I'm working, I don't need that big of a room. I'm PLT with IHG because of thier CC, what I do like is lounge access and free breakfast, those are my two most valued perks. I'll switch some of my stays to haytt to get diamond next year, wont be hard for me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:55 pm

Breakfast Recommendation

Staying at the IC TS for one night this week.

Other that the hotel itself; any recommendation for a place close to the hotel for breakfast ?

Thx..

Rich
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, PC Platinum Elite Ambassador, Marriot Rewards Gold Elite, Starwood PG, HH
Originally Posted by rich1955
Staying at the IC TS for one night this week.

Other that the hotel itself; any recommendation for a place close to the hotel for breakfast ?

Thx..

Rich
Westway Diner on 9th (out of hotel, turn left, turn left onto 9th and about 10 yards along). Good range of breakfast staples and not eye watering $ wise. Gets a good mix of tourists and locals alike in there. The Starbucks on 8th got a lot of trade with people doing a coffee run as well.

Last edited by Blackjackburger; Nov 19, 2014 at 12:38 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks..

Went to Westway Diner when we arrived and also the next morning for breakfast.

Good food, fast service and reasonable prices.

Will go there again when in the area..

Rich
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:50 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Hello fellow FT Peeps!

I have never stayed at the IC in Times Square. I have read so many negative things about it from those who have; thus, I do not have my hopes up given that I'm not going to be a revenue-paying guest.

I booked two nights in April using the "2 Free Nights" from the last IHG Promotion--a stellar redemption considering the cash price is well over $400/night for the nights I'll be there.

I booked one room (TWO DOUBLE BEDS DELUXE), and am bringing a couple friends with me. What is the best way to inquire about upgrading to a suite? Will they UG me automatically based on my Ambassador Platinum status? I've read the previous 10 pages in this thread and it seems like they may or may not.

Should I email the hotel to ask about paying for an Upgraded suite (and if so email them now or closer to the check-in date)? With four of us I'd like as much space as possible given how small NYC hotel rooms normally are.

Also, do they have Double Bed rooms on the higher floors? What exactly should I be asking if I inquire about any paid upgrades in regards to room type and/or floors?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 355F1; Jan 25, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 355F1
Hello fellow FT Peeps!

I have never stayed at the IC in Times Square. I have read so many negative things about it from those who have; thus, I do not have my hopes up given that I'm not going to be a revenue-paying guest.

I booked two nights in April using the "2 Free Nights" from the last IHG Promotion--a stellar redemption considering the cash price is well over $400/night for the nights I'll be there.

I booked TWO DOUBLE BEDS DELUXE and am bringing a couple friends with me. What is the best way to inquire about upgrading to a suite? Will they UG me automatically based on my Ambassador Platinum status? I've read the previous 10 pages in this thread and it seems like they may or may not.

Should I email the hotel to ask about paying for an Upgraded suite (and if so email them now or closer to the check-in date)? With four of us I'd like as much space as possible given how small NYC hotel rooms normally are.

Also, do they have Double Bed rooms on the higher floors? What exactly should I be asking if I inquire about any paid upgrades in regards to room type and/or floors?

IC Times Square is far for being a bad hotel, and I do not understand bad reviews. It is a solid business hotel, with convenient location (if you like being in Times Square, which is not my case).

As Royal Ambassador, I always have been upgraded from cheapest room to junior suite (but never to Manhattan suite).

Not quite sure to understand
- how people will stay in every room (2 or more)
- if you expect an upgrade to suite for each room or in place of the 2 double rooms).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by 355F1
Hello fellow FT Peeps!

I booked TWO DOUBLE BEDS DELUXE and am bringing a couple friends with me. What is the best way to inquire about upgrading to a suite? Will they UG me automatically based on my Ambassador Platinum status? I've read the previous 10 pages in this thread and it seems like they may or may not.

I've stayed at the IC Times Sq many times, and been treated pretty much the same whether booked direct as a revenue customer, through a third party/ travel agent or as a non-revenue customer (the last visit was redeeming the free weekend night certificate that came with my Ambassador Gold renewal).

I've always had an upgrade there, though they haven't always done it automatically, despite calling ahead to make sure they have my Ambassador number in the booking. They'll only upgrade 1 room category in my experience, so if a suite is more than that you may well have to pay (though I'm not Platinum, maybe it's different for them).

I like the IC Times Square. The staff there have never been rude to me in all my stays, though the friendly service can be a little haphazard on occasion (aforementioned failure to have Ambassador number in booking, Ambassador amenities not in room etc). I would stay there whenever the price is reasonable, though of course there are many excellent options in NYC.

Can't help about the double bedded rooms on high floors, I always have a king bedded room.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Jan 24, 2015 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by nicolas75
IC Times Square is far for being a bad hotel, and I do not understand bad reviews. It is a solid business hotel, with convenient location (if you like being in Times Square, which is not my case).

- if you expect an upgrade to suite for each room or in place of the 2 double rooms).
The location is perfect. We are going to a rave at the Best Buy Theater one block away.

I booked ONE ROOM with DOUBLE BEDS. I was hoping to get a bigger room since there will be 3-4 of us, whether I get an UG or if I have to pay.

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I've always had an upgrade there, though they haven't always done it automatically, despite calling ahead to make sure they have my Ambassador number in the booking. They'll only upgrade 1 room category in my experience, so if a suite is more than that you may well have to pay (though I'm not Platinum, maybe it's different for them).

Can't help about the double bedded rooms on high floors, I always have a king bedded room.
I don't know what the levels for rooms are but I think the only thing above the DOUBLE BEDS DELUXE (which is what I booked into) is the Sky View rooms on the top floors. So we will see.

I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel with two beds, either. So that's why I have no clue about them or which levels they assign to King Bed vs. Doubles.

I've only stayed at the W in NYC. Just last year I switched all my travel (100 nights/yr) to IHG and Best Western for those very remote small towns I sometimes work in for weeks at a time.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75

As Royal Ambassador, I always have been upgraded from cheapest room to junior suite (but never to Manhattan suite).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hard product or the location of this hotel
Certainly an acceptable choice compared to some others in the Times Square area
The service can be dissapointing and the restaurant extremely dissapointing along with highly indifferent hosts with attitude who think they are doing you a favor to seat you
The night restaurant team is somewhat better but the food continues to dissapoint based on the extraordinary dining opportunities available in NYC

The rooms are small for a luxury hotel and royal ambassadors get a long corner room that they call a studio suite so some may think they are in an actual suite
That's all they do here other than published benefits
It's simply not a hotel exceeding expectations just meeting the bare minimum standard on average

Ambassadors get the typical small room perhaps high floor or better view but nothing more upgradewise typically in most hotels you couldn't get on Priceline
IHG Platinums must remember they are entitled to nothing in InterContinental hotels other than free wifi I believe
IHG is the rare program that keeps all brands in its program separate from the InterContinental brand at time of recognition regardless if we like this or not
Any gesture at all is at the kindness and mercy of the hotel
To the hotels credit when they are slow enough they have tried to please Platinums as they can
Though some have certainly been completely satisfied with their stays based on personal expectations
One is expected to sign up as an Ambassador and pay or earn Royal Ambassador status if you choose to stay a lot

Based on other competing programs one may or may not be impressed as an elite member
IMHO I think that is where the hotel gets a bad rap not that the hotel itself is bad but they offer little other than a decent quality room some with serious street noise if one is sensitive to the blaring sounds of the Big Apple
Also No club lounge,no exceptional restaurant to pay up too or get as a top tier Ambassador member let alone a mere Gold or Platinum
And of course everything costs $$$$$

Those who haven't earned elite status or purchased it are perhaps typically statistically more happy other than to get a key and a room! The expectation is simply lower
YMMV!
Ive had a number of highly satisfactory stays here

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:48 am

Excellent analysis 777 global mile hound we just stayed at the IC TC for over a week and it was the most disappointing IC ever ...the property itself is nice but as you said it's run as a profit unit instead of welcoming warm IC I have experienced everywhere else .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.