Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador > InterContinental Hotels Group Stay Forum
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 19, 10, 10:38 am   #1

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG RA, Marriott Gold
IC Shanghai Puxi

Going there in mid April. Has anyone stay there and can give some feedback?

TIA
Motion122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 10, 5:03 am   #2

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
I'm just back from a five day stay at the IC Puxi, and had also stayed here in December. I am Ambassador Platinum, and on my last visit had booked a club room. Previously I had a non club room booking.

Building
The hotel is a new build, and there was no expense spared in the fit-out, with marble everywhere. The common areas are very well appointed, really elegant and luxurious. One excellent thing is that the hotel fittings have a real Chinese feel – you know you are in China. Many five star hotels miss this completely, going for a global feel, rather than a local feel.

Rooms
The rooms are very comfortable. On both stays I was upgraded, once into a corner deluxe room, and once into a suite. The decor is modern, stylishly comfortable and practical. In particular, the suite was well designed and I used all parts of the room. One could live there for a month except for the tiny wardrobe and general lack of storage.

The bathroom was impressive, circular bath, separate wet-room shower, and separate electronic toilet. Bizarrely the tiny wardrobe is in the bathroom. Two design oversights - There are no hooks or rails to hang things up in the bathroom, and the toilet roll holder is too small to hold toilet rolls!

In the suite, there are two massive plasma TV’s that turn on when you come into the rooms, (incorporating a DVD and ipod dock), a full size desk, great for working at, with a comfortable office chair. High speed(ish) internet is wired, with no wireless in the rooms (something that seems the norm in Chinese hotels). There are no hooks to hang your coat or bag in the room.

In the non suite room, there is one plasma TV, same large desk and chair. Unfortunately the DVD players in the rooms don't play European DVD’s - probably only Chinese region play, so useless for foreign guests.

Dining
Dining options are varied, but extremely expensive. The quality of the food doesn’t match the price (up to 1,000 Yuan for 2 including beers) and the restaurants are very quiet, resulting in no atmosphere. I have eaten in the Chinese and Japanese restaurants, where the food is good, but you are almost the only guest. The main restaurant’s food isn’t good enough for a five star hotel. Breakfast in the main hotel is the usual bland flavours- nothing memorable.

Room service is slow, but of good standard – the club sandwich particularly good.

In one of my business meetings outside of the hotel, when I was asked where I was staying – the response from my client was – “great hotel and we recommend that guests stay there, but the food is really expensive, and not very good”. Perhaps the hotel has to get its dining act together or be tainted with this mantra forever.

Club Lounge
Not only does the hotel have a club lounge, but a club building – a mini hotel in its own regard, which is well worth the additional price. Staff here are excellent, remember your name and your requirements. The food and drinks in the two floor lounge are of good quality and are well presented. Evening drinks are free flow, with a good range of snacks. There is a small meeting room which can be hired, but there are plenty of quiet areas for meetings.

Concierge
Very poor. The concierge only seems to be interested in selling you overpriced tours, and not answering the questions you ask – a request for a train ticket results in a 10 minute ‘too late to book train – how about a tour?... out come the brochures, followed by ‘how about taking a car and driver for the day?’ and finally when pressed admitting that the very train ticket that was too late to be booked is available after all.

This type of thing happened twice on a five day stay. So much for the Intercontinental ‘this is my city’ insight they promote so much. This pushy unpleasant approach is what I would expect from a three star hotel, not five star. By contrast, the advice from the staff in the club area was unbiased, helpful and not self-serving.

The immediate surroundings of the hotel leave a lot to be desired. Right behind the hotel (Club rooms) is a block of housing that can be best described as approaching slum conditions. This will probably be knocked in about three months for another round of building, as most other blocks immediately around the hotel are already knocked. The area around the station isn’t the most upmarket in the city, but is safe to walk around, as long as street hawkers don’t annoy you too much.

The hotel is well located however, with Shanghai central train station a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and central Shanghai is a 5 minute taxi drive away. Wherever you stay in Shanghai you have to take a taxi to your destination anyway, so this hotel is no less badly positioned than any other supposedly ‘central’ hotel. Just don’t stay here if all your business is in Pudong, or if it’s just a PVG airport overnighter. However it could be handy-ish for SHA airport.

Summary
Perfectly appointed, well located hotel with world-class Club facilities. Let down by expensive, soul-less dining and a concierge more interested in commission than providing you with insight into the city. I will probably stay here again, but eat out, and ignore the concierge.

Rating 4/5.
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 9:56 am   #3

also closed metro, 5 mins walking distance
jonathonmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 10, 1:56 pm   #4

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG RA, Marriott Gold
Thank you very much for the review! I look forward to my stay in April.
Old Mar 23, 10, 10:59 am   #5

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Got upgraded to a huge suite with a big bathroom. Lots of high-tech gadgets in the room.

Yes, they have a separate building for club guests (Wow). The only downside is that the breakfast at the main building is better and you have to walk to the other building if you want to have breakfast.

This is probably the nicest IC in Shanghai in terms of hardware, for now. Let's wait and see how the IC Expo turns out.
TravellerOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 10, 6:03 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline View Post

Yes, they have a separate building for club guests (Wow). The only downside is that the breakfast at the main building is better and you have to walk to the other building if you want to have breakfast.
RA gets comp breakfast or only club guests?
Old Mar 23, 10, 7:01 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald & Sapphire; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Ambassador; CarlsonConcierge; AirMilesGold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline View Post
Got upgraded to a huge suite with a big bathroom. Lots of high-tech gadgets in the room.

This is probably the nicest IC in Shanghai in terms of hardware, for now. Let's wait and see how the IC Expo turns out.
Yes, can you please clarify. As an RA did you get Club access and a room in the Club building?
Shareholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 10, 11:23 pm   #8

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Yes, can you please clarify. As an RA did you get Club access and a room in the Club building?
I was there on 1st of March. Though I booked the lowest room, my room was upgraded to the room on the club tower.

I guess that the standard room on the club tower is a huge suite, and of course, my room was it.
yasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 10, 3:09 am   #9

Programs: UA Plat
Just stayed here for the second time for a few days. Looks like everything is up and running more or less since my November stay.

I booked a Premier room and got upgraded to the Club room in the Club Tower, same as my first time. Had breakfast at the lounge, which has two buffet stations. There were 3 tables around 9AM when I went. Didn't try the breakfast in the main wing, which is more extensive and has more Chinese dishes.

The Club room is spacious and as Gold Ambassador, given a fruit plate and a bottle of local wine. They also give you a red plasticky trinket as a gift. Internet was free also.

I have tried the Japanese restaurant and agreed that it's pricey. There are so many good restaurants in SH that I suggests going out of the hotel.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again due to the value for money. The location is good and a short cab ride from many places in Puxi.
TPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 10, 5:45 am   #10

Just check-in at the Intercontinental Puxi.

Very bad impression from the start. No offer to help with my bags, but was in a hurry to get me out of the taxi cab so someone else can get in it.

I was told non of the RA benefits apply on points stays. Anyone else experience the same?

Will have a better look at the rest of the property tomorrow.
Old Jul 3, 10, 2:17 am   #11

Does anyone have a contact for this hotel?
I was trying to organize airport transportation and a couple of specific needs for a future stay but writing to general email address resulted in no response after a week...

Thank you
maclover
maclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 10, 2:31 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
Does anyone have a contact for this hotel?
I was trying to organize airport transportation and a couple of specific needs for a future stay but writing to general email address resulted in no response after a week...

Thank you
maclover
concierge dont tend to reply emails at all. i did get one regards to the airport transport. it's RMB600 for the cheapest one way ride. it's half price or 1/3 if you jump into a taxi. (have the hotel name and address written in chinese)

i do have the jpg file of a list of the car types i can PM you.
Old Jul 6, 10, 8:33 am   #13

Had a Club Room with F&F rate.

Great hardware: room is huge in size and I really loved the design, the big sofa and the round bath tub. Best room we had in Shanghai.

Location: ok, there are better locations, but subway is very near. Other places we tried (such as Intercontinenal Shanghai Expo or Park Hyatt) weren't nearly as convenient.

Service: Not good. Several issues, quasi nonexistent concierge, lack of problem management training. It gets even worse at the Intercontinental Expo.
FlyingSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 1:55 pm   #14

Programs: UA Platinium, M&M, SPG, Marriott Gold
stayed there twice so far - rooms are spectacular but as previous posters have mentioned service is really subpar and has even declined since my first post - I will consider other hotels on my upcoming stays in Shanghai

As an example of the subpar service - we approached the concierge to ask him about the shuttle to the expo and his first response was why we didn't make reservation? The bus left 10 minutes later more than half empty - I felt like in a hostel
appenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 10, 4:08 pm   #15

Programs: SPG Plat, PCR Plat Amb, MR Gold, HH Silver, AA Plat
Anyone has their email?
wobbly wings is offline   Reply With Quote