Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Seoul Seongbuk (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Holiday Inn Seoul Seongbuk (Master Thread)

I've stayed at this hotel 30+ times over the last few years and have been upgraded (as a plat) to a suite on nearly every occasion. There is one suite on each floor and it is room *15, very spacious with a corner sofa, large bed and very large bathroom. There is also a bottle of red wine waiting for me in the room along with a bowl of fruit and some nuts. If you are platinum and are staying on a paid rate (I have been on a few reward stays here too and then only been upgraded 2 out of 4 times) then you will almost certainly get this upgrade.

There's no pool or gym here, but there are lots of restaurants near to the hotel and a gym in the building next door. The staff are exceptionally helpful and have given me customer service way beyond the call of duty on several occasions.

Most of the people staying in the hotel are Korean, with the occasional busload of Japanese tourists and visiting academics for the university.

The hotel is in North East Seoul so is a few tube stops from the centre, bus is fairly close to Myeongdong and Namdaemun. There are two tube stops within 5 - 10 mins walk, Gireum and Seoul University.

There is an excellent rice cake (chap sa dok) shop just around the corner. If you want some rice cake, then PM me for directions. There's also a very good barber across the road (legitimate) where you can get a massage, shave and haircut for around $15. They even clean your shoes for you while you're not looking. Again, PM me for directions if you are interested.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
Agree that this is a clean, attractive, and comfortable hotel with helpful staff. I found the rooms nicer than the larger HI downtown (stay was in early 2007). Would definitely stay here again during a future visit to Seoul.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keihin_242
Agree that this is a clean, attractive, and comfortable hotel with helpful staff. I found the rooms nicer than the larger HI downtown (stay was in early 2007). Would definitely stay here again during a future visit to Seoul.
For info, the other HI (near Mapo) became a Best Western a few years ago, now the Seongbuk property is the only HI in Seoul. There are two other IHG hotels though, both IC's next to each other near Coex. I've stayed at both IC's and I still prefer the HI, despite the lesser facilities.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I had two stays here last April (1 night & 3 night), upgraded to the corner suite with bottle of wine and fruit both times. Also got a welcome drink voucher for the bar. Service is excellent, room very clean. Also had a colour fax/copier in room which came in handy. Would definitely stay here again, also stayed at IC at COEX but prefer the HI. Take the bus from the Gireum subway and get off almost outside the hotel. The hotel's own website gives good directions. Airport bus stops outside as well.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:00 pm

Agree with previous posters. We stayed there last year as well as the year before and found it a quite pleasant hotel. Clean, upgraded on every occasion.
Close to everything with public transportation. Highly recommended.
Old May 8, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: LH SEN;Accor Plat.;IHG-RC Gold and some others
Have been there a few Days ago and can also confirm upgrade to Suite, Bottle of Red Wine, Fruits, Nuts, Voucher for Welcome-Drink and also got a Voucher for Breakfast. Printer/Fax in room was also very useful.

Really a nice Place!

Originally Posted by Doug_1970
There are two tube stops within 5 - 10 mins walk, Gireum and Seoul University.
Man, You walk fast!! I am not slow but it takes me between 15 and 20 min to walk from Hotel to Korea University tube stop.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by STR-MVD
Man, You walk fast!! I am not slow but it takes me between 15 and 20 min to walk from Hotel to Korea University tube stop.
The walk is not pleasant to the University station. Also, Gireum station is much nearer. If you take the back streets, max 10 minutes I'd say.

Like all here, always get *15 with all goodies.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allenkeys
The walk is not pleasant to the University station. Also, Gireum station is much nearer. If you take the back streets, max 10 minutes I'd say.

Like all here, always get *15 with all goodies.

Sorry folks, I have to disagree. Although I do recognise the trivialness of the subject matter.

The Korea University stop is on the same road as the hotel, you just come out of the hotel, turn right and keep on walking. I find it a very pleasant walk.

Gireum station is not 'much nearer' than the University station. Although I haven't counted each step and compared the distance, I would be surprised if they weren't almost the same. University station may be slightly further away, but there is the added inconvenience of the traffic lights when you walk to Gireum (and also making sure that you don't accidently end up in the red light district).

Man, You walk fast!! I am not slow but it takes me between 15 and 20 min to walk from Hotel to Korea University tube stop
Are you sure that you're not stopping at Dunkin' Donuts on the way, or taking a particulary tortuous route ?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Doug_1970
Gireum station is not 'much nearer' than the University station.
OK, 'much nearer' is not fair. It is probably down to my personal preference. I hate the walk down to the university station and therefore it just feels much longer.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by tobegold
I had two stays here last April (1 night & 3 night), upgraded to the corner suite with bottle of wine and fruit both times. Also got a welcome drink voucher for the bar. Service is excellent, room very clean. Also had a colour fax/copier in room which came in handy. Would definitely stay here again, also stayed at IC at COEX but prefer the HI. Take the bus from the Gireum subway and get off almost outside the hotel. The hotel's own website gives good directions. Airport bus stops outside as well.
Well, I also like HI, but prefer IC Coex now that Coex has opened the club lounge with nice spread of food in the evening.

Originally Posted by STR-MVD
Have been there a few Days ago and can also confirm upgrade to Suite, Bottle of Red Wine, Fruits, Nuts, Voucher for Welcome-Drink and also got a Voucher for Breakfast. Printer/Fax in room was also very useful.
Currently staying at the hotel, just a regular room on the 8th floor. I did get a bottle of red wind and a fruit basket. But I didn't get the drink/breakfast vouchers. I have to call the front desk for vouchers. Lots of local restaurants near the hotel.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Hi seongbuk seoul - airport

I will be staying here in October and would apprecaite the information on the Airport bus to the hotel, where to find it at the airport, the bus number, how much, and how to know when to get off and how to walk to the hotel.

This is my first trip to Seoul. Any suggestions for a few days visit?

Thank you
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I stayed there 2 and half years ago. Ask the information desk when arriving at the airport, the bus stops right outside the hotel. The same bus goes to both ICN and GMP airports on the way to the hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Walk out of the airport, and directly out of the door are the bus stops to downtown. There are two ticket booths selling tickets, (you will see them if you walk up or down the bus stop area) ask for Holiday Inn Seoungbuk, it will be 14,000 KRW and they will tell you which bus stop to go to (it was 10A a few weeks ago). The bus runs every 20 minutes during the day, but goes down to every 30 minutes if it is very early or late. It starts around 5:00 am and finishes around 10:00pm. The buses don't have numbers but you will need to get a bus to Dobong - the staff loading luggage into the bus will make sure that you get on the right one.

The Holiday Inn stop is the one after Korea University, if you sit somewhere near the front of the bus, you will clearly see the Holiday Inn on the left hand side of the road as you approach the stop. If you tell the driver you want Holiday Inn Seongbuk he will also indicate to you where to get off.

The bus takes about 90 minutes to get to the hotel as it goes via Gimpo, but it's still better than getting a taxi (and getting scammed) or taking the train and having to change onto the metro.

Enjoy the hotel - it's a great Holiday Inn, with lots of Korea restaurants in the sidestreets around it. See the thread on this hotel in the group stay forum.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I just returned from (an excellent) stay here.

Last post about said it all.

I just wanted to say that I agree as well that the bus
is the way to go.

It is a long ride, about 90min exactly as said
but a taxi would not be THAT much faster, there's
just a lot of traffic in Seoul. Plus I heard the taxi
goes as high as 100,000 won so that's a big price difference.

And the train is no better option because you have to
connect to the metro at Seoul station, which takes
time, and the nearest metro station, Gireum, is about .6mi
from the hotel so you have to walk or take a cab
(though cabs are super cheap, it was 2400 won to the metro
from the hotel) so anyways just wanted to sat another vote
for the airport limousine bus. Oh and the front desk at the holiday
inn sells tickets for the trip to the airport on it.

Also quiet hotel, I had a good stay. Only negative is the distance
to the nearest metro but again its only about a $2 cab ride
so its not that bad escpecially since the hotel was about 1/3
the price (atleast for my dates) of the two IC's in seoul
that were at COEX which is a metro stop. For that huge a savings
I can live with some $2-3 cab rides ! (unless you really need the luxury
of an IC)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bump. Any recent experiences? Particularly Platinum treatment?

Thinking about burning some IHG points and this seems a much better deal, even for a tourist, than the ICs in Gangnam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.