Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Johannesburg Sandton Towers Master Thread (no longer an IC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Thumbs up IC Johannesburg Sandton Towers Master Thread (no longer an IC)

There doesn’t seem to have been a report on the IC Sandton Towers for ages so I thought I would add one having just stayed there for the first time in many years. I booked a Points Break night (only because it’s the first time I have ever seen a hotel I could use offering PB, so I did the company a favour).

Arrived at about 9pm and was greeted by the very friendly bellboys and my car was taken to be valet parked. At check-in I was asked to fill in my particulars on the guest card. Very odd, I said, given this was booked online and details are all held in my PC account. I also waved my Ambassador card as proof of my claim. (Later I noticed that the pre-printed guest card was annotated with “reward stay” or some such, so very puzzling how my information failed to transfer.) Much typing ensued and I was then told that in recognition of my status I had been upgraded to a corner room. Yay!! From my last stay I recall the regular room was rather small but I didn't expect the upgrade on a PB rate.

A credit card imprint was taken (for ZAR750 – what exactly did they think I would be doing for the next few hours?) and the facilities explained (gym, restaurant etc.). Around this time a waiter appeared with a tray of champagne flutes containing OJ. Very nice OJ, it transpired. I mentioned that I was waiting for the return of my car keys and the receptionist wrote out a parking voucher which cost ZAR45 for the 1 day. She also asked if I would be using the internet and gave me a free wi-fi voucher. The wi-fi speed turned out to be merely adequate but quite acceptable at the price.

While I finished my juice the valet returned with my car keys and I went up to the 26th floor. The hotel is built around a central atrium and has an understated look that is smart but anonymous and not likely to excite or offend anyone. The next day I did see that 2 floors are closed off for renovations but I have no idea how far this has progressed and how many floors are done.

The room was of a slightly odd shape but I found it very user friendly. Off the entrance lobby is the marble bathroom and a walk-in cupboard with plenty of drawers, hanging space, safe, robes and slippers. The bathroom has a single vanity but is quite spacious with a large shower stall. And excellent water pressure! The amenities were a peculiar mix of Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet (the shower gel), Elemis (the soap, shampoo etc.) and Molton Brown (shower cap and sewing kit).

Bedroom is long with windows running the full length but they are only from waist high and cannot be opened for fresh air. There is a very comfortable bed with copious pillows and great individual reading lights in addition to bedside lamps. ^ Opposite is a large working area with an L-shaped desk that incorporates the beverage centre. In between there is an armchair and ottoman with standing lamp. There is a large flat screen TV but I didn’t use it. (Might it be a bit far for comfortable viewing from the bed?)

The beverage centre includes a Nespresso machine ^ with several flavours of coffee. There were also dinky little packs of UHT milk – never seen them before and although UHT isn’t my favourite it beats that powder rubbish hands down. Didn’t look into the mini bar – sorry. I was given fruit (a banana and a huge, very crisp and tasty apple) and there were 2 small bottles of water (still & sparkling) in the bathroom. There was also a welcome letter under the door... addressed to mr & mrs somebody or other and explaining the benefits due to elite guests.

The fruit made a handy breakfast snack (I had a breakfast meeting at 9 so didn’t use the restaurant). I went down, gave my keys to the valet parking chap and went to check out. The only charge was my parking which I paid cash and I was out in 2 minutes. My car took a few more minutes but I was asked again if I had been attended to and it transpired that it was a manager was keeping everyone on their toes. Everyone was as friendly as only Jo’burg people can be.

All in all a wonderful stay – apart from the glitch on the guest card (and that could be PC web site’s fault) everything was great. Can’t believe it cost me only 5000 points! But I would be happy to recommend it at the usual rates too.

PS Rather bizarrely the 5000 points have been redeposited in my PC account. I assume it will be picked up an rectified but it is further evidence of some systems/process screw-up between PC and the hotel.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
There were also dinky little packs of UHT milk – never seen them before and although UHT isn’t my favourite it beats that powder rubbish hands down. Didn’t look into the mini bar – sorry.
I'm there next week, so nice to see your timely report - thanks! And nice to see someone else not obsesed with mini-bars
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Useful report, Cheetah_SA. We have a PB stay coming up so I value your comments. ^

We were there in the summer on a 2nd-weekend-night-free voucher. Trying to check in on the ground floor, we were redirected to the club floor where they were prepared for us with prefilled-in details. We got a suite, the internet voucher and club access, which was great for breakfast with cooked food available on request.

I guess we'll go up to the club floor when we arrive to see how much of this will be replicated.

(Still trying to work out whether to drive or get a taxi to the Wanderers for the Test ...)
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
(Still trying to work out whether to drive or get a taxi to the Wanderers for the Test ...)
I'd get a taxi - mainly to obviate the hassle of parking and as it's not far. Perhaps the hotel can organise a car to take you?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Thanks, Cheetah_SA. Yes, I can see it makes a lot of sense.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I stayed here last week. The hotel is okay, but as an Ambassador, I thought it a bit low on the amenities scale.

Just three pieces of fruit. No other amenity. The last day I was there, I was awakened by the electricity going off. I use a CPAP machine to sleep, so one the electricity goes off, I'm not sleeping. I had stayed up a bit late the night before, so was sleeping in late. NOT.

No notice or anything. After I complained about it, they sent up a letter dated the day before. No newspaper that day either.

Compared to the free night I had a at JNB airport IC, the Sandton location was far, far behind.

It is quite interesting trying to navigate the restroom with no real light.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
... The hotel is okay, but as an Ambassador, I thought it a bit low on the amenities scale.

Just three pieces of fruit. No other amenity. ...
Stayed at the end of December and as a Plat Amb (not RA) had a bottle of this wine as well as fruit and water, so it might be a good idea to check, people there are so friendly that they'll probably dispatch something regardless of status etc.

Apparently this IC will be where FIFA will put up its senior staff for the World Cup in June.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

So here I am again 18 months later – how time flies! This is again an award booking but this time at the full 40k points rate and not a Points Break. The other difference is that last time I was Gold Amb and now I’m Plat Amb.

Everyone is super friendly as usual. I waltz up to the front desk at 5pm and am told I will be checking in at the Club lounge on the 27th floor. Sounds promising! I am shown to the lift by a young man named Gift (very appropriate) who puts his card in the slot presses the button and I’m off to the Club lounge. Very friendly, efficient and charming check-in. Asked if I want a drink or if I'll wait for cocktails at 6 and I opt for the latter.

My room is on the top, 28th, floor and is again a corner room as I described previously. Everything looks iexactly how I remember it – except of course I have a somewhat better view of the fast dwindling day and the brown haze that hangs over Joeys in the winter. Bath amenities have now changed to a brand called Zenology – never heard of them.

And here are the gifts/freebies:
- fruit: a rather green pear, a big apple and a huge naartjie (mandarin orange)
- A bottle of Tokara Zondernaam cab sauv 2008 (pretty decent mid range stuff)
- Two small bottles of water, one still, one sparkling
- A 210g box of Sally Williams macadamia and almond nougat
Who said they were mean with amenities?! This is an award stay after all. What do they give RA’s? Apart from the mini bar – which I’ve now sussed for their benefit: 7 assorted spirit miniatures, 4 Castle beers, ˝ bottle of white wine, various mixers, juice , a Toblerone, jelly beans and Pringles.

Internet is also free again. In fact my access voucher says it is valid for 7 days.

So... once again I am a very happy chappy. Hope to see what the lounge offers later and tomorrow if I get a chance, and I might try the restaurant.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
- A 210g box of Sally Williams macadamia and almond nougat
Who said they were mean with amenities?! This is an award stay after all. What do they give RA’s?
Yes, I and others have posted about this property in the RA thread recently. But it's worth mentioning here that this is one of my favorite IC's. I also got the Sally Williams goodies. Two different kinds on two recent stays. I think one was nougat and the other Turkish Delights. Both yummy.

I have to say it is quite generous that they give Ambassadors Club access on award stays! I'm always on paid stays, but always get Club on standard bookings. And a nice suite upgrade.

Have they opened the Gautrain to Centurion and beyond yet? That will mean more stays at this IC for me.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

I went to the club lounge at about 18:45 and it was occupied by 1 other person. It is very small with (very comfortable) seating for a dozen people all at tables. I discovered shortly thereafter that there is an identical mirror image section on the other side of the glass enclosed lifts - which whiz up and down right next to the lounge from time to time. The setting is very cosy and welcoming. Each section consists of a pod overhanging the atrium so although it is small and clubby, (like a smart, miniature pub) it also shares the spaciousness of the atrium and doesn't feel cut off because the sounds of the lobby way down below are faintly audible. There is a staircase from the 28th floor straight to the club lounge which is rather nice. Food offerings were interesting, varied and generous. I had wine which was the same Tokara as my gift in the room.

In the morning I just walked through on my way to checkout and the lounge was empty but again a very generous buffet was laid out with hot and cold items.

I ate in the hotel's only restaurant, The Atrium Restaurant, and was very pleased with my meal especially the Atrium salad which is a very successful mix of fruit and greens. Some caveats: my companion is vegetarian and they have precisely one vegetarian main dish on the menu - a butternut risotto. When she asked for extra cheese it was not Parmigiana. It was also quite cold on a Jo'burg winter's night, pretty unavoidable I suppose as it is very difficult to heat a place that sits below a 20 story atrium.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Have they opened the Gautrain to Centurion and beyond yet? That will mean more stays at this IC for me.
Yes, it opened last month some time. I believe the Rosebank, Park Station section is due to open soon too.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:27 pm

Brief review IC JohannesBurg Sandton Towers + some pics Club room

Just posted a brief review with some pictures of my reward stay on May 21 (30K points at that time!) on my travel blog:

http://travel.bart.la/2011/07/18/int...andton-towers/

Enjoy!
Old May 3, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Thinking about staying here.
How does one get from JNB to the hotel?
How far are the parks (for the safari) from the hotel?
Old May 3, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
Thinking about staying here.
How does one get from JNB to the hotel?
How far are the parks (for the safari) from the hotel?
From the airport you can take a taxi, or the Gautrain which stops a short walk from the hotel. The train is much cheaper, but you would have to lug your bags a bit.

I don't know about any safaris in Sandton/JoBerg? It's a big city you know.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
Have gotten mixed impressions from the two properties - which is the best bet for a one nighter in Jo'burg this property or the airport property?
Old May 3, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarmyArnie
Have gotten mixed impressions from the two properties - which is the best bet for a one nighter in Jo'burg this property or the airport property?
The IC Sandton is better in every way, but if the objective is just sleep and fly, then the airport property is nice and comfortable and across the street from check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.