Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to FCO in June...Too early to book?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

LAX to FCO in June...Too early to book?

There's a nonstop flight for $824 on Alitalia in June. I use websites like Momodo , Skiplagged, and Scott's Cheap Flights regularly and I know sometimes you can find airfare say for $500.

My understanding is the summer time typically has expensive flights. Not sure if $824 is a great deal, so so deal, or awful deal. It's either June or December based on my work schedule.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If I had my choice I'd go in December to avoid the masses that will descend upon Rome in June.
Many airlines don't load in their discount fare buckets in the first month or so. The fare isn't not bad but it isn't the lowest you'd necessarily see for summer travel.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

The airfare was actually more expensive in December. I know June will be more crowded, but I would have more time to travel. I would also like to see the Alps-probably in Austria, do Germany's Romantic Road, and then do Turin, Rome/Naples for a week (this is my 3rd trip to Italy and just want to see the things that I just didn't have time for). Probably a 2-3 week trip. I am now stressing that Alitalia will be going bankrupt!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Before or after June 23?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by JustineG
There's a nonstop flight for $824 on Alitalia in June. I use websites like Momodo , Skiplagged, and Scott's Cheap Flights regularly and I know sometimes you can find airfare say for $500.

My understanding is the summer time typically has expensive flights. Not sure if $824 is a great deal, so so deal, or awful deal. It's either June or December based on my work schedule.

Thanks
If you wish to receive helpful advice, you will need to be much more specific. THe price that you cite is excellent for travel in this period, if the flights are RT. But do you wish to return from Rome, or from an airport in Austria or Germany? Without knowing these details, it's impossible to offer helpful suggestions.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Before or after June 23?
leaving before the 23rd, returning after. 27th
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
If you wish to receive helpful advice, you will need to be much more specific. THe price that you cite is excellent for travel in this period, if the flights are RT. But do you wish to return from Rome, or from an airport in Austria or Germany? Without knowing these details, it's impossible to offer helpful suggestions.
just straight LAX TO FCO roundtrip like what the title says
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. But I am concerned about the viability of Alitalia.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:50 am

Personally, I would not count on Alitalia. It's better to overpay a little than get an unpleasant surprise later.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
just straight LAX TO FCO roundtrip like what the title says
I read and understood the title, but your reply to a later response raised some questions on my part regarding your plans for a return flight.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. But I am concerned about the viability of Alitalia.
Originally Posted by AWARDBird Team
Personally, I would not count on Alitalia. It's better to overpay a little than get an unpleasant surprise later.
This was my thinking as well.

Google Flights is showing a VS/BA itinerary that goes LAX - LHR (VS) - FCO (BA) - LHR (BA) - LAX (VS) for $845 and I verified it is bookable via Expedia/OTAs. I'd personally snag that one for the extra $20 instead to avoid any Alitalia issues.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

You guys think they will file bankruptcy?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You guys think they will file bankruptcy?
They already did in both Italy and the US...

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/ali...us-bankruptcy/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/b...y.html?mcubz=0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.