Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Red-eye transcon on United vs. Virgin America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello FT, this is my first post ever on FlyerTalk, so please forgive any faux pas.

I am planning for my once in a blue moon transcon (SFO-Dulles;economy) flight on the company tab. I am an Alaska MVP and Silver on United, so trying to decide between a red-eye on United or Virgin America.

I earned United Silver only recently through a status match, so am still trying to figure out how the upgrade process works.

If an upgrade to business class on United is at all likely, I would choose United. If you just LOL'd at the idea of business class upgrade, than I would prefer Virgin America. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks for reading!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:32 pm

There is plenty of information on UA upgrade odds in the UA forum.

But this is how I would rate those odds:
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Agree that a Silver elite's chances of upgrading on an SFO-IAD redeye are nil. The route is extremely popular with elites. There are routinely 40-50 people left on the upgrade list after the last business class seat is filled, and many of those people are Golds and Plats. Even 1Ks can't count on an upgrade on this route.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Agree that a Silver elite's chances of upgrading on an SFO-IAD redeye are nil. The route is extremely popular with elites. There are routinely 40-50 people left on the upgrade list after the last business class seat is filled, and many of those people are Golds and Plats. Even 1Ks can't count on an upgrade on this route.
Thanks so much for the reply! Really appreciate it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The one upside to UA is economy+ which you can purchase beforehand or gamble and hope for a complimentary selection at check-in.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The one upside to UA is economy+ which you can purchase beforehand or gamble and hope for a complimentary selection at check-in.
There is a better chance for the OP to score an E+ seat.

OP, when you check-in, you can review your seat selection, and if any E+ seats are available, feel free to change it from your E seat (no additional cost).

I have had good luck scoring E+ upgrades lately on transcon flights. Mind you, most of them are on the popular EWR-SFO route, and many are ps flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.