Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who do I flirt with to get an upgraded seat?

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I've heard and read that you can be nice or talk to someone nicely to get a possible upgraded seat. I have a few questions

1. Who do I talk to or have a better chance with? The person checking in my luggage and printing my boarding pass or the person working at the gate?

2. Would giving them a tip be a nice gesture just to thank them for working at such a late hour.. etc. etc..

3. Show up really early? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if no one booked them
Show up near boarding? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if they are open
Which is better?

Thank you in advance for any tips!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Really.
IAD_flyer and AWARDBird Team like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Well, it has worked at Hotels... I'm wondering if flights are any different. Does the worker have the power to move you if he/she feels like it?

I've heard of stories where someone was moved up just because he/she knew the worker.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Most of your posts are about this kind of thing.

Is is possible to get an upgrade or better seating if you know someone or are kind? sure. Is it the standard? No.

Airlines operate much differently thank hotels. Trying to bribe the staff with cash could go seriously wrong for you or for them.

Asking for a seat with nobody next to you is the most you should realistically hope for.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wear a blazer and cravat, call the check-in girl 'doll face' and slip her $20 and you're sure to end up in first class.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wear a blazer and cravat, call the check-in girl 'doll face' and slip her $20 and you're sure to end up in first class.
So that's your trick!

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If you're flying out of or connecting at JFK I know someone. Super friendly but you have to call ahead and chat her up though first - and she will want some favor from you in return:

Jenny, phone 867-5309
KChar, x2y, crabbing and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The odds for something like this to occur is rather low/non-existent. Sure, it certainly could have happened on the past to someone, be it for being nice, sweet talk its way to the agent, assisted the agent in some form, was having a bad day and the agent decided to help out, etc. Problem is that the odds for this to be manipulated in your favor is almost non-existing considering the # of people that travel every day who are caught up in similar situations and want to be upgraded just like you, elite travelers that are eligible for upgrades currently on wait list for it, last minute travelers that purchase bus/first class seats, displaced travelers that need to be re-accommodated due to travel disruptions on their designated flights.

This is one of those "urban legends" out there, as it typically starts with someone referring to another person who got upgraded. I myself, in all my years of travelling have not been the recipient of such, nor have I witnessed it or known someone that got it as well. I've have received un-requested upgrades, in AA, BA, B6, but that was due mostly because the flight was full and they had to move some travelers in order to accommodate others, I was also a low/middle level elite with them as well which certainly help out as most likely I would the next in line.

I see that what got you into FT was the thread on the $20 Vegas suite sandwich trick, coincidentally that was the same one for me as well. I can honestly say that I have indeed tried that trick as well and has worked for me, as much as I have seen others tried as well with different results. I also have received suites upgrades in Vegas without using this trick as well.

Seems to me that for better service/product in either airlines, hotels, car, etc. you are better off either booking what you want up-front, take advantage of deals, analyze/value the options available as sometimes the upgraded product could be cheaper, equal or a few $ more than the standard product. Patronizing a certain provider and becoming a member of their program. Companies like repeat customers and if they value your business they will show some love your way.

Good luck with your upgrade, it doesn't hurt to try, as the worst that can happen is they will say no.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:59 am
formerly PHLGrump

AA is super strict with this, in my experience. When I had no status, I used to go super early and ask really nicely, and it just never worked for me. Maybe I'm not cute enough
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:03 am

flirt with your parents to give you a higher allowance so you can book FC :P
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by scottsan
I've heard and read that you can be nice or talk to someone nicely to get a possible upgraded seat. I have a few questions

1. Who do I talk to or have a better chance with? The person checking in my luggage and printing my boarding pass or the person working at the gate?

2. Would giving them a tip be a nice gesture just to thank them for working at such a late hour.. etc. etc..

3. Show up really early? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if no one booked them
Show up near boarding? - I would be thrown into nicer seats if they are open
Which is better?

Thank you in advance for any tips!
Unbelievable. If you want an upgraded seat, pay for it.
OverThereTooMuch likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Trying to flirt to get something you haven't paid for is disrespectful to the employee. You might try being nice to someone just because it's the right thing to do but not because you want to get something from them that you are unwilling to buy yourself.

I used to get stuff like this as a female working in IT. Made me so mad.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Mmm Mmm good!
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Also, it's 'whom do I flirt with'...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Proper grammar is like flirting to me.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Also, it's 'whom do I flirt with'...
trooper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.