e-Ticket with connection + how airports work

Subscribe
Hello, all.

I'm due to take my first ever flight alone in a few weeks. I am using an e-ticket and have a connection (Heathrow > Keflavik > Montréal). It is with IcelandAir.
My main question is this: If I do online check-in before going, will I need to print off two separate boarding passes for the Heathrow > Keflavik and Keflavik > Montréal legs of the journey, or is it just one for the entire journey?

Also, and I know I may be asking a bit much here, but if anybody would be willing/bored enough to provide a bullet-point steps guide to assist my journey (be as condescending as you like ), I would be most appreciative. I'm a total air travel rookie and, although it may seem understandably ridiculous to some of you, I'm a little anxious about what I'm supposed to do once arriving at each airport.

Thanks, everyone. This is an invaluable community!
Are you on the 13:10 flights from LHR with a 1h55m transit time before departing for YUL at 17:05?
If so, this is PLENTY of time to handle the transfer so feel good about this itinerary. The vast majority of tickets today are e-tickets. Having a printed out copy of your itinerary is always a good idea and having the email on your phone as backup is good too.
-At LGW check-in you will present your passport and your boarding passes will be issued.
-At KEF you'll go through passport control before proceeding to your next flight but bags will go on to YUL. The airport is relatively efficiently setup for this.
-At YUL you'll go through immigration & customs.

Do you have/require an eTA (electronic visa)?
Presuming this was all booked under one trip, you will have one BP for each individual segment of your journey, 2 in total. Allow your self plenty of time, as sometimes the queue in LHR could be long depending on the time. I can;t comment on the other 2 airports as I have not traveled through them. However, I suggest you check on line the airports respective websites and get yourself familiarized with the airport layout, which terminal operates the departure/arrival of the carrier and how to transit within terminals.
A few thoughts:

If you haven't already then look up your itinerary on the IcelandAir web site and make sure that the details are as you expect them to be. Fill in any information, such as passport details, that may be missing. They may want a mobile number and an emergency contact.

Check-in online but don't worry too much if you can't get boarding passes. The airline will want to see your passport at the airport and may want to force you to visit the check-in desk even if you aren't checking a bag.

Allow plenty of time before the flight because nothing is worse than starting the trip with waiting in long lines followed by a mad dash to the gate.

Once you have done what you can, relax and go with the flow (or lack thereof) as there is no point in fighting it! Have a good trip.
Quote: -At LGW check-in you will present your passport and your boarding passes will be issued.

Do you have/require an eTA (electronic visa)?
Hi, thanks for the guide. Appreciate it! This is the exact flight time I have too, yeah.
If I do the online check-in, is this the equivalent of going to the check-in desk at the airport? As in, will I print my own boarding passes at home? Also. in the event something happens to my printer, will I still have the option to print it at the airport?

Quote: Presuming this was all booked under one trip, you will have one BP for each individual segment of your journey, 2 in total.

I suggest you check on line the airports respective websites and get yourself familiarized with the airport layout, which terminal operates the departure/arrival of the carrier and how to transit within terminals.
Thanks for clarifying the ticket situation! I'll definitely try to find the airport layout too. Good idea.

Quote: Check-in online but don't worry too much if you can't get boarding passes. The airline will want to see your passport at the airport and may want to force you to visit the check-in desk even if you aren't checking a bag.

Allow plenty of time before the flight because nothing is worse than starting the trip with waiting in long lines followed by a mad dash to the gate.

Once you have done what you can, relax and go with the flow (or lack thereof) as there is no point in fighting it! Have a good trip.
Thanks. As I asked above, does this mean I can check in online and, if there are any issues (such as my printer breaking), I still will have the opportunity to get them at the check-in desk? If I email it to my phone, is it like a barcode I can use as a boarding pass?
I'll be at the airport about six hours before my flight, due to coach times. This should be more than enough, right?
I'll certainly have a good trip... providing I actually get there, haha.

Thanks again, everyone.
6 hours ahead of time? The check-in counter opens 3 hours before the flight.

If you are able to check-in online and are not checking a bag I'd find something to do outside of the airport in the general area and once checked-in I'd spend the 30 pounds to access a lounge for some food & drink as LGW is essentially a giant mall.

Not sure if they have any issues with reprinting boarding passes at the check-in counter as those tend to be more of a low cost carrier rule.
Quote: 6 hours ahead of time? The check-in counter opens 3 hours before the flight.

If you are able to check-in online and are not checking a bag I'd find something to do outside of the airport in the general area and once checked-in I'd spend the 30 pounds to access a lounge for some food & drink as LGW is essentially a giant mall.

Not sure if they have any issues with reprinting boarding passes at the check-in counter as those tend to be more of a low cost carrier rule.
Yeah, I was probably worrying a bit when I booked my coach, thinking about possible motorway disruption and stuff. Nevertheless, I can't change it now.
I'm checking a bag too, but I don't mind sitting around in the check-in desk area until it's time. It'll allow me to soak it all in and chat to some staff.

What are the advantages of accessing the lounge? I mean, as opposed to getting food/drink in the regular areas of the airport.

Finally, do I NEED to check-in online? Do you think I could forego this and check in at the desk?

Sorry if all this sounds stupid, but I'm simply clueless as to how all this works. I have flown before, but with my family when I was young.
Definitely check in on line as early as possible, usually 24 hours before the flight. This will give you a "better spot in line" in case the flight is oversold, etc.

You may not be able to get a boarding pass at home as the airline may want to physically verify your passport and other paperwork. Don't worry about that, you'll be at the airport in plenty of time for the agents to take care of it.

Have a great trip!
You do not need to check-in online as you'll be there right when check-in opens. One upside is they open up more seats for selection at check-in but you'll also be able to request a seat at the check-in desk. The desk is manned by Menzies Aviation staff like many other airlines at LGW.

Advantages of the lounge are it's a quiet, calm place to hang out with generally complimentary food, drink & wifi instead of paying for each item. The views can be quite nice for plane watching also depending on the lounge. You can read reviews on such sites at loungebuddy.com I personally avoid the No. 1 North terminal lounge after a poor experience with the staff.

Nothing wrong with asking questions.
Quote: Definitely check in on line as early as possible, usually 24 hours before the flight. This will give you a "better spot in line" in case the flight is oversold, etc.

You may not be able to get a boarding pass at home as the airline may want to physically verify your passport and other paperwork. Don't worry about that, you'll be at the airport in plenty of time for the agents to take care of it.

Have a great trip!
If you do print a pass at home you should still be able to load it on your phone. They will quite probably give you another paper pass at the airport after they have checked your documents whatever you do!

If you can buy into a lounge then you have a quieter and more comfortable place to wait. You could probably do as well for food and drink for the money outside. There may be lounges you can access before check-in, otherwise you won't get great value after check-in and going through security! You may not be able to access a lounge if you are under 18.

It's actually quite amusing to watch people at airports, though it may pall a bit after six hours!
Quote: If you are able to check-in online and are not checking a bag I'd find something to do outside of the airport in the general area and once checked-in I'd spend the 30 pounds to access a lounge for some food & drink as LGW is essentially a giant mall.
The OP seems to be flying from Heathrow, of which the same has often been said
FYI: the lounge before check-in is GBP35 for up to 3 hours and the one after check-in is the same price with no time limit. Both offer food, drinks, showers, and WiFi:
http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guid...rvices/lounges
You can read more about the lounges if you open the booking page.
Opps my bad.

Quote: The OP seems to be flying from Heathrow, of which the same has often been said
This is excellent information, although I'm the last person who needs to be removed from an oversold flight, haha.
I'll certainly look into all your suggestions and will print off my online check-in tickets for LHR > KEF and KEF > YUL (and keep them stored on my phone) anyway as a safeguard. I guess this would be the most sensible thing to initially do and then simply ask a staff member what they'd like me to do once I get there.

No idea how I'm going to print anything off for the return trip, but hopefully I can get it stored to my phone or something.

This has been reassuring. Thanks, all!
Quote: No idea how I'm going to print anything off for the return trip, but hopefully I can get it stored to my phone or something.

This has been reassuring. Thanks, all!
For the return, you can always check in on line in the hotel computer, assuming you are staying in a hotel. You can also do a mobile check in provided you have access to wifi. Do not stress too much on this, as numerous people have the same issue every day. You could download the ICELAND Air app on your mobile and use this to check in for your return as well. I presume you will be checking in luggage on your return, hence you have to see the counter anyway. As usual, give your self time for this. Once you start your trip, you will get the idea on the process.