Beach Vacation from Europe over New Year's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I'm beginning to plan for me and my girl-friend's Xmas vacation.
We can leave December 25 or 26 and would need to be back by January 3.
We can start from basically anywhere in Europe and would like to go someplace warm (beach destination). Some culture/history would be nice, we're not that interested in going to Dubai, for example (and besides, it's not that warm in December).

Last year I bought discounted business-class tickets to Puerto Rico (about 1000 € per ticket).
But now we have collected some miles, so I'm thinking about redeeming them instead.

I have (rough estimates):
- 300k German Amex Membership Rewards points.
- 220k Avios
- 40k Aegean miles
- 50k AirBerlin Topbonus miles
- 70k SPG starpoints

Is there anything in particular you would recommend us to look for, which is good value or where it's likely that award space will open up?
We would like to fly business or first class.
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
- 300k German Amex Membership Rewards points.
Note to USA-based readers: German Membership Rewards is not the same as the USA version. The transfer ratio to most airline partners is 5:4, rather than 1:1, and the list of partners is different. See here:

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.d...erOverview.mtw
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you for pointing that out!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
How about somewhere in Southeast Asia using CX or SQ miles?

Or possibly somewhere in the Southern US / Caribbean if you can find award availability?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oman?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could try 70K starwood (= 210K marriott) in asia ?

~500K airline should be able to get you 2 J/F
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for my late reply, I have been traveling.

Hmm, I guess my question was too broadly worded.

Of course I can choose a destination, then see if there is award space and then book it.
I don't want to waste all my points though, so I was hoping somebody would be able to make a suggestion like: "Book Iberia MAD-SCL on Avios because it's a redemption sweet spot at only XXX miles. Award availability is usually good, if the cabin is not fully booked, they release more award seats two weeks before departure."

I would be flying in high season, so I guess there won't be a lot of award seats.
And like I said, I don't want to just burn all my miles, I would like to use them in a smart way.
Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I don't want to waste all my points though, so I was hoping somebody would be able to make a suggestion like: "Book Iberia MAD-SCL on Avios because it's a redemption sweet spot at only XXX miles. Award availability is usually good, if the cabin is not fully booked, they release more award seats two weeks before departure."
There's no secret FT formula for great redemptions. Over the Christmas holidays there are essentially three groups of people:
  • Those that stay home or travel home
  • Those traveling to colder areas (ski resorts, snowy regions, etc.)
  • Those escaping the cold

And as the South of Europe/North of Africa is too cold around that time of year for group #3 , you'll be looking at the Middle East, Southern USA, Asia and the southern hemisphere, i.e. places that will be in high season.

And while you have a large amount of miles, they are unfortunately split up. It's going to be difficult (i.e. pretty much impossible) to use Avios, Aegean and TB miles together. More to the point, I don't see the reason to split up OW miles on two FFPs.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

The Topbonus miles come from their credit card and Topbonus miles can also be redeemed on EY.
But I do have a couple Avios and Amex points...?
Shouldn't those be enough? I could also buy one ticket and redeem miles for the second one etc.
I really think the biggest issue will be finding award space?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:08 pm

Traveling on the 25th might give you some options using an award - but returning on the 2nd will be near impossible booking this late.

I'd check paid flights as business cabins tend to be light at that time and there may be some good deals.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Apologies for my late reply, I have been traveling.

Hmm, I guess my question was too broadly worded.

Of course I can choose a destination, then see if there is award space and then book it.

I would be flying in high season, so I guess there won't be a lot of award seats.
And like I said, I don't want to just burn all my miles, I would like to use them in a smart way.
Thanks!
If you can wait until mid-February....Norwegian Air begins service between Scandinavia/London and Buenos Aires.

Initial pricing is as low as $300rt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.