Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with award flights to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Do not know if it always happens but on Delta, they seem to have recently released some low level award seats to Australia at their 110k level for J, which seems to be the cheapest now.

A few months ago I booked tickets at 390k each and just moved my itinerary a few days and got seats for 220k each, leaving August 29 and returning Sept 12. Paid the $150 change fee but worth it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I've been looking on Qantas for the LAX-AUK segment and found a few flights on Fiji that might work. I've got a couple questions hopefully someone who's done this before can answer...

1. I also found CLT-LAX on AA site for the same date as the LAX-AUK, Since Fiji can't be booked via AA's website, when I call, will they be able to combine the segments?
2. I've read some reviews about Fiji Business Class and seems like it's OK, but not great. Should I go ahead and book since there is availability or should I wait for either AA or other metal?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
AA should be able to piece it together but do yourself a favor and book a flight to LAX with a good buffer or even an overnight before your flight down under. Flight times may change on either carrier between now and then & delays may happen which could create a headache on such a trip. The hotel would be on you if you spend a night before in LAX.

FJ is an ok J class. You'll enjoy yourself as long as your expectations aren't on level with SQ or NH's J product. From reviews it seems more enjoyable than BA J. Book what you can find now and if you find better you can change which may involve additional costs .
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DVDBob
I've been looking on Qantas for the LAX-AUK segment and found a few flights on Fiji that might work. I've got a couple questions hopefully someone who's done this before can answer...
1. I also found CLT-LAX on AA site for the same date as the LAX-AUK, Since Fiji can't be booked via AA's website, when I call, will they be able to combine the segments?
2. I've read some reviews about Fiji Business Class and seems like it's OK, but not great. Should I go ahead and book since there is availability or should I wait for either AA or other metal?
Enjoy you LAX-AUK flight if you find one

With AA & QF phantom availability is often shown. Often discussed on AA.

There are several AA thread on this topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

FJ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

QF http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Was able to find a decent itinerary down to AUK via AA and Fiji metal, that wasn't phantom. Return flights from SYD seem to be on Cathay or Emirates, to either SFO or DFW, but no SAAver awards yet back to CLT. I'd likely not have enough miles anyway for 2 tickets, so was likely going to try 1 award and 1 paid flight. However, looking at prices for business, I could probably buy miles for a little bit more than a paid ticket, get bonus miles, and then do a AAnytime award for the 2 tickets. Does this make sense or should I wait and see what opens up over the next few months in SAAver? I'm only considering buying due to the large bonus AA is offering until Jan 4.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
We took a cruise from San Francisco to Auckland and then a Air New Zealand flight to Sydney. We got flight from Sydney to Newark on September 17 for 40 K miles on United.
FWIW, e very careful about overweight carry on on the Air New Zealand or Virgin Australia flights. A cruisemate got socked for about $300 in excess carryon fees.

DD
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
FWIW, be very careful about overweight carry on on the Air New Zealand or Virgin Australia flights. A cruisemate got socked for about $300 in excess carryon fees.

Are you sure it was carry-on fees? I am not aware of any carry-on fees with VA or NZ, just limits. Checked baggage fees are more common (although I don't know how you'd get to $300 worth).
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Are you sure it was carry-on fees? I am not aware of any carry-on fees with VA or NZ, just limits. Checked baggage fees are more common (although I don't know how you'd get to $300 worth).
Air NZ charges NZD 200 for first additional bag and NZD 200 for over 23kg (under 32kg), so that would be about USD 300 FF status worth a fair bit in excess baggage charges. VA is cheaper (AUD 260 for overweight extra bag). You are quite right about there being no carryon fees, it is either included or becomes checked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.