Advice Required: Travel in J for less to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond; Hyatt - Platinum, Accor - Platinum, Marriott - GOLD; SPG - Gold;

Re: advise required

Dear all,

I am about to complete my studies and want to do travel in style to Australia. Currently have OW Gold status

Objectives:

- To tick Australia Continent
- Travel in Premium cabin if possible
- Cover new airports and experience new luxury airport lounges (F Lounges)

Proposed Itinerary

1. Lisbon via London to Dubai by BA for £380 in WTP
2. Abu Dhabi to Colombo by Etihad in J for 57,000 Etihad guest points plus 990AED
3. Colombo to Sydney by MA via KL in J for £953
4. Sydney to Brisbane by Qantas -18.000 Avios +£25

Summary

total spent in cash:£1565
points used: 17,000 existing Etihad points plus 40000 MR, plus 18000Avios
lounges: London Galleries First, Abu Dhabi Etihad Business lounge, Dubai - BA F Lounge, Colombo - have not explored options yet, Kuala Lumpur - BA and Qantas First Lounges, Sydney - BA Lounge, Brisbane - BA Lounge

Advise Required:

I would appreciate any input you guys might have to enhance this trip or if possible to travel even cheaper(cash wise). I am intending to take this trip beginning of September for 2-3 weeks. Very flexible from mid of August till 20th of September.
I have 100,000 Avios plus 47000MR points towards this trip

Thank you all in advance
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:14 am

There's probably better forums for this, but I need more info to move it to a more appropriate one. What is this "OW Gold"? Is it an airline?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
OneWorld alliance. There is a forum for that..

Australia under Oceania forum is a fair choice too.

Rasheed
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm moving this to the "Information Desk" board as it involves multiple carriers including non-Oneworld airlines.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My immediate thought is looking for QR J fares that are often around what you have as your current cash outlay.

For September I see OSL - DOH - AKL - DOH - OSL available for £1664 - so for 100 pounds you would save all those miles and earn a nice chunk of miles towards furthering your OW status.

You could then use Avios for the LHR - OSL flights on BA and the AKL - SYD flights on QF (and because of your OW Gold, you'd still get QF F lounge access on the SYD - AKL QF flight).

If I'm reading the BA charts correctly you'd be looking at 300 tier points in each direction plus 15141 Avios in each direction.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Is this proposed itinerary just to get to the BNE or are you stopping anywhere along the way?

Originally Posted by rashadik
Proposed Itinerary

1. Lisbon via London to Dubai by BA for £380 in WTP
2. Abu Dhabi to Colombo by Etihad in J for 57,000 Etihad guest points plus 990AED
3. Colombo to Sydney by MA via KL in J for £953
4. Sydney to Brisbane by Qantas -18.000 Avios +£25

Summary

total spent in cash:£1565
points used: 17,000 existing Etihad points plus 40000 MR, plus 18000Avios
lounges: London Galleries First, Abu Dhabi Etihad Business lounge, Dubai - BA F Lounge, Colombo - have not explored options yet, Kuala Lumpur - BA and Qantas First Lounges, Sydney - BA Lounge, Brisbane - BA Lounge
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is no such status as "oneworld Gold", so we can't advise about any Lounge access beyond that provided by your class of service unless you provide your airline frequent flyer scheme and status so we can "translate" - (oneworld status tiers begin at Ruby, and proceed upwards to Sapphire and Emerald. Emerald status would open many - not all - First Lounges to you.

Award travel to Australia is aspirational and difficult to get, but it sounds like you're finding the space you need. MH can often offer decent availability (I think you mean MH, because MA / Malev has ceased business).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond; Hyatt - Platinum, Accor - Platinum, Marriott - GOLD; SPG - Gold;
thank you

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Is this proposed itinerary just to get to the BNE or are you stopping anywhere along the way?
hey, no I am not stopping anywhere else, currently based in Portugal hence planning to start in Lisbon
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is no such status as "oneworld Gold", so we can't advise about any Lounge access beyond that provided by your class of service unless you provide your airline frequent flyer scheme and status so we can "translate" - (oneworld status tiers begin at Ruby, and proceed upwards to Sapphire and Emerald. Emerald status would open many - not all - First Lounges to you.

Award travel to Australia is aspirational and difficult to get, but it sounds like you're finding the space you need. MH can often offer decent availability (I think you mean MH, because MA / Malev has ceased business).
very valid point here, thank you for highlighting - it BA Gold (hence OW was used)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
My immediate thought is looking for QR J fares that are often around what you have as your current cash outlay.

For September I see OSL - DOH - AKL - DOH - OSL available for £1664 - so for 100 pounds you would save all those miles and earn a nice chunk of miles towards furthering your OW status.

You could then use Avios for the LHR - OSL flights on BA and the AKL - SYD flights on QF (and because of your OW Gold, you'd still get QF F lounge access on the SYD - AKL QF flight).

If I'm reading the BA charts correctly you'd be looking at 300 tier points in each direction plus 15141 Avios in each direction.
this is brilliant suggestion many thanks for your time to respond and so far one of the best suggestions Ive heard here.
I am currently Lisbon based for 6 months, and idea was to see some of my family in Dubai for a family reunion for 3-4 days and then head to Brisbane.
ME for some reason is very expensive for Australia and NZ and the only cheap route I can find is from CMB.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Lisbon is a great city I hope you're enjoying it and the region.

For ~£2100 you can do J on EK OSL-DXB, DXB-BNE using some points for your feeder flight. You'd fly on their 77W and A380. You can also be routed via SIN on the DXB-BNE segment. If you went this routing I'd suggest a few days also in SIN if you've never been or even if you have.

Going AUH-CMB-KUL-SYD-BNE is an interesting routing, even for a FlyerTalker. I personally would want some time in Colombo and Sydney unless you've done both before.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Lisbon is a great city I hope you're enjoying it and the region.

For ~£2100 you can do J on EK OSL-DXB, DXB-BNE using some points for your feeder flight. You'd fly on their 77W and A380. You can also be routed via SIN on the DXB-BNE segment. If you went this routing I'd suggest a few days also in SIN if you've never been or even if you have.

Going AUH-CMB-KUL-SYD-BNE is an interesting routing, even for a FlyerTalker. I personally would want some time in Colombo and Sydney unless you've done both before.
Hey, Lisbon is amazing City and surrounding Sintra is out of this world - really lucky to be here for there summer.
I am currently completing my studies and don't want go back to my employment with huge credit card bill - I would love to complete this journey under £1500 if possible, thats my target.

Colombo and Singapore and Sydney and Brisbane would be my first ever destinations.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hey, no I am not stopping anywhere else, currently based in Portugal hence planning to start in Lisbon
Colombo and Singapore and Sydney and Brisbane would be my first ever destinations.
So Colombo and Singapore and Sydney are not destinations? Or just transits?
MEL SYD can be cheap to buy with cash. Flight is about 60 minutes wheels up / wheels down.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:53 am

Spent too much time in Colombo airport in April of this year and it was quite possibly the worst airport experience I have ever had. The airport was under construction (closed 12 hours a day) and the scene was total chaos. So whatever else you do, don't plan a long layover there unless you know the construction is finished.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Originally Posted by AnnaMcD
Spent too much time in Colombo airport in April of this year and it was quite possibly the worst airport experience I have ever had. The airport was under construction (closed 12 hours a day) and the scene was total chaos. So whatever else you do, don't plan a long layover there unless you know the construction is finished.
Thank you AnnaMcD that's very helpful indeed, planning to fly to CMB with Etihad in J on points redemption from AUH 3hours layover then with Singapore Airlines in J to Brisbane for £890 in current sale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.