Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

(Newbie) can sonmeone get fares lower than those advertised at ExpertFlyer?

(Newbie) can sonmeone get fares lower than those advertised at ExpertFlyer?

Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Question (Newbie) can sonmeone get fares lower than those advertised at ExpertFlyer?

I have recently started exploring cheaper travel, and I am confused about the fares advertised at Expertflyer and those available at booking sites like Kayak.

I am interested in flying one-way, business class, from NYC to BOM on 08/18/2017. My plans may change, so I am also mindful of cancellation penalties while I book my ticket.

Expert Flyer tells me that the lowest price is offered by KU under fare code C21DAPOW at USD 1551 in class "B"

Kayak and Vayama tell me that I can book flights 118 followed by 301 for $1451.22 ( $1451 fare + 0.22 tax ). What's going on?

Making things more confusing, a travel agent offered me Virgin Atlantic flight on same route for $1973, when I see that the lowest fare published by VS is way higher.

I'm certain I have missed a critical point here, if there is already a trhread on such anomaly please point me towards it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Bhaiyyu.

While there are a lot of features at ExpertFlyer I like, I can't make useful sense of their Fares, and they just about never match reality. I don't know where they're getting them from, and I don't how they're supposed to be used. (The info Expert Flyer gets in general is the kind of info that goes to travel agents, but travel agents may know about rules for determining actual fares, while Expert Flyer displays raw Fares information, which doesn't typically make sense to me. So I just ignore it mostly.

The one thing I use EF Fares info for is to figure out which booking codes (K L V S G etc) are lower fares for a given airline and which are higher fares, so that I can make sense of the Availability page (which may not always sort the codes in order of decreasing price). The main thing that causes fares to change from day to day or week to week or whatever is fare code "buckets" being used up or being reloaded. If I'm interested in tracking fares on EF, I have to learn which fares seem to correspond with which fare code "buckets" by comparing Availability on EF with fares on Kayak.

FYI, the main thread for ExpertFlyer questions is in the Travel Tools forum (in the Travel & Dining, as opposed to Miles & Points, section of FlyerTalk):

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.