Wiki Posts
Search

Lax-icn-tokyo-icn-lax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Lax-icn-tokyo-icn-lax

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me some advice on utilizing my Ultimate rewards points, United points, and spg points.

Travel dates: End of October 2018- Early November 2018 (Maybe 10/28/18-11/12/18)
Points accrued:
95,380 United miles
134,993 UR miles
89,428 SPG pts

Flights: Very flexible
10/27/18 LAX-ICN: * I do not need to stop for long. Just enough time to drop off my baby with my in-laws who could meet me at ICN.
10/30/18 ICN-TOKYO:
11/6/18 TOKYO-ICN: I would stay for a week?
11/11/18 ICN-LAX

I was thinking maybe united flight which would cost about 200K Ultimate reward points + $191.12 for 2 people? Are there any better options? I wished United still had the stopover thingy then I would save about 60K points!

Also are there any recommendations for hotels in Japan (specifically Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) using ultimate reward points ~30K or utilizing 89,428 SPG pts? We prefer budget friendly hotels~

Thank you in advance for your opinions/tips!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:26 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this is more of a general question about how to use points to travel rather than Japan as a destination, I am going to move this to the Information Desk.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Also, when would the earliest date be to book the points for Oct-Nov 2018?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
~330 days out plus or minus a few days depending on system updates. Booking early is key. If you're new to award bookings it may be advantageous to pay to use an award booking service but you also have several months to learn...so start reading up on the United Airlines, SPG & Chase UR programs in the stickies of those specific forums.

Originally Posted by celee818
Thank you! Also, when would the earliest date be to book the points for Oct-Nov 2018?
Seems like you'd be better off tax, miles & logistically doing 2 tickets. LAX-ICN return and SEL-TYO return. The infant will have a cost in miles and/or taxes if sitting on your lap and of course even more if infant is getting his/her own seat.

Also with award tickets and international flights it's always best to minimize problems such as trying to board a flight from SEL-TYO without an infant even though one is listed. It's more of an avoid any hassles and save the money/miles than anything.

With UA award tickets you'll have to fly via SFO to get the lowest level awards vs a Partner award such on OZ (Asiana) that will be direct but more miles. Same for the return leg.

As for the hotels it is generally best to use the SPG points if you don't have to use them towards getting a flight. SPG and Marriott's merger opens up a lot of opportunities. Points can be transferred between the two programs. Finding the "best" deal is just a matter of searching and figuring out value. Tokyo and Osaka are large cities so research travel times and locations of what you want to do while there.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jun 13, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:51 pm

KE allows Two ICN stopovers on a roundtrip. So your itinerary is perfect with KE miles. Transfer Chase UR (and SPG if needed) to KE and it will cost 70k per person (and 7k for a baby). There might be a fuel surcharge but it won't be too much.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
KE allows Two ICN stopovers on a roundtrip. So your itinerary is perfect with KE miles. Transfer Chase UR (and SPG if needed) to KE and it will cost 70k per person (and 7k for a baby). There might be a fuel surcharge but it won't be too much.
Thank you so much for this information! Saved me a lot of points
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Korean is a great call. One major caveat - you can only use KE miles for immediate family members and must fill out this form before booking for anyone other than yourself. I recommend filling it out ASAP so you can have it all set when you go to book your flights later this year.

https://www.koreanair.com/content/da...ation_Form.pdf

Hotel-wise, Hyatt Regency Tokyo is the best value hotel in Tokyo IMO (stayed there twice and enjoyed both time - no it's not the famous Park Hyatt but it's perfectly good for it's purpose and Shinjuku isn't a bad area to be as a jumping off point). It should be 12k/night or 6k + $75 for C&P so you could get at least 2 nights on all points and possible a 3rd if you get an additional 6 UR between now and when you start booking (or if you do C&P you can of course get more).

Hyatt Kyoto is also highly touted (never stayed there) but its 20k or 10k + $125/night on points.

Marriott and SPG also have some good hotels in Kyoto / Osaka / Toyko. Again never been so can't recommend any specifically but just don't forget to check out Marriott and the fact that you can transfer between SPG and Marriott at a 1:3 rate (so your 90k SPG is worth 270k Marriott).

I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Ginza - very well located (especially if you are there for the first time as I was on that trip and wanted to be near Tsukiji) but rooms are quite small. I've also stayed at the Sheraton Miyako Hotel and it was very reasonable (6k SPG + $110 USD) - hotel is a bit dated but again functional as a jumping off point. There's a brand new Courtyard Tokyo Station that's supposed to be quite nice as well though again small rooms.

One very last thing to consider - 270k Marriott (aka 90k SPG) is enough to get a Marriott Travel Package http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi - the downside is you get a 7 night award certificate which may be too long for this trip. The upside is you get a large number of KE/UA miles.

Last edited by Duke787; Jun 14, 2017 at 6:32 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Duke787
Korean is a great call. One major caveat - you can only use KE miles for immediate family members and must fill out this form before booking for anyone other than yourself. I recommend filling it out ASAP so you can have it all set when you go to book your flights later this year.

https://www.koreanair.com/content/da...ation_Form.pdf

Hotel-wise, Hyatt Regency Tokyo is the best value hotel in Tokyo IMO (stayed there twice and enjoyed both time - no it's not the famous Park Hyatt but it's perfectly good for it's purpose and Shinjuku isn't a bad area to be as a jumping off point). It should be 12k/night or 6k + $75 for C&P so you could get at least 2 nights on all points and possible a 3rd if you get an additional 6 UR between now and when you start booking (or if you do C&P you can of course get more).

Hyatt Kyoto is also highly touted (never stayed there) but its 20k or 10k + $125/night on points.

Marriott and SPG also have some good hotels in Kyoto / Osaka / Toyko. Again never been so can't recommend any specifically but just don't forget to check out Marriott and the fact that you can transfer between SPG and Marriott at a 1:3 rate (so your 90k SPG is worth 270k Marriott).

I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Ginza - very well located (especially if you are there for the first time as I was on that trip and wanted to be near Tsukiji) but rooms are quite small. I've also stayed at the Sheraton Miyako Hotel and it was very reasonable (6k SPG + $110 USD) - hotel is a bit dated but again functional as a jumping off point. There's a brand new Courtyard Tokyo Station that's supposed to be quite nice as well though again small rooms.

One very last thing to consider - 270k Marriott (aka 90k SPG) is enough to get a Marriott Travel Package http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi - the downside is you get a 7 night award certificate which may be too long for this trip. The upside is you get a large number of KE/UA miles.
Wow, thank you so much for this extensive review. Uou are the best!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.