Go Back   > >

Old Mar 20, 17, 10:51 pm   #1
Original Poster

Good price per mile?!%@

After reading a ton of articles online I decided there is no real answer to this question. Haha. I bought and economy round trip ticket for $627 from ORD to Bangkok with UA in May. I have never found a ticket this cheap in the 3 years I have been flying this route. Using a milage calculator it came to like 3 cents for mile. This is bad right? I shouldnt pay more than like 1.3 cents per mile. Now if I could have qualified for and airline credit card would have helped. Or upgraded to business class it may have brought the mile price down. Also the time of year I fly can be more expensive which would result in a higher price ticket lowering the value of my miles. All I am saying is it all depends on the person and the situation. I have never ever seen a price this cheap for my ticket and yet some people would say I got a bad deal! Paid to much per mile. I just don't believe all the travel articles could even begin to claim what the average price per mile should be.
Alster2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 17, 10:59 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alster2015 View Post
After reading a ton of articles online I decided there is no real answer to this question. Haha. I bought and economy round trip ticket for $627 from ORD to Bangkok with UA in May. I have never found a ticket this cheap in the 3 years I have been flying this route. Using a milage calculator it came to like 3 cents for mile. This is bad right? I shouldnt pay more than like 1.3 cents per mile. Now if I could have qualified for and airline credit card would have helped. Or upgraded to business class it may have brought the mile price down. Also the time of year I fly can be more expensive which would result in a higher price ticket lowering the value of my miles. All I am saying is it all depends on the person and the situation. I have never ever seen a price this cheap for my ticket and yet some people would say I got a bad deal! Paid to much per mile. I just don't believe all the travel articles could even begin to claim what the average price per mile should be.
Mileage runs are often hard to do these days because of the spend component that has been imposed by some US airlines.

Take UA for instance. If you had got the flight for $100, you might have only gotten a handful of miles. The price you got seems like a decent deal. 1.3 cpm might be what the miles are worth, but don't get caught up on that. Enjoy your trip and decent deal.
Jaimito Cartero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 8:11 am   #3

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Enjoy your trip and decent deal.

From not that far to the north (MSP), I'm very grateful every time I see 5 a mile. IM(not very)HO you did superbly well.

Now think incredible street food, massages, cooking schools, silk, and all sorts of other unique and wonderful sights and sounds and smells.

I bought and carried with me the Lonely Planet guide book. Used it a lot. Found a very convenient Airbnb place to stay. Bought a week pass on the Skytrain. I'm ready to go back just thinking about it.
Romelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 7:34 pm   #4
Original Poster

I agree with both you. I just got caught up in all the articles and tips. I can just look at a flight anymore and know if it is a good deal for me. If I had excellent credit and a good amount of savings I could do a lot better. So I am not saying everything I read wasn't useful. Maybe someday my financial situation will improve and I can apply what I learned.
Alster2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 17, 3:06 pm   #5

Programs: HH Gold
$627 to Bangkok is a decent deal - no one will tell you that this is a bad deal. Air prices are (and have been) remarkably low from the U.S. to Asia the past couple of years. I suspect it is due to the Chinese carriers which are often low priced.
jbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote