Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA to JFK less than 4 hours for int'l transfer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

LGA to JFK less than 4 hours for int'l transfer

If I land on time at LaGuardia Terminal D at 6:15, am I going to make a 10pm Terminal 8 JFK international flight?

I have global entry (so I hit the precheck lanes if they are still open when I get to JFK).

Cab?
Airporter?
What else to know?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gidklio
If I land on time at LaGuardia Terminal D at 6:15, am I going to make a 10pm Terminal 8 JFK international flight?

I have global entry (so I hit the precheck lanes if they are still open when I get to JFK).

Cab?
Airporter?
What else to know?
You could walk there in that time frame Assuming you meant 10 am. I would just take a cab. You should have plenty of time.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JumboJet
You could walk there in that time frame Assuming you meant 10 am. I would just take a cab. You should have plenty of time.
Uh, no. That's not "6:15 a.m." It's "6:15," followed by a clause that begins with, "am I going ....'
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

thank you, comma-reader @guv1976.
Yes, obviously I would make it in 16 hours. Will I make it in under 4?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:28 pm

Yeah you can make it.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cab?
Airporter?
What else to know?
How soon is this trip? If it's April or later, are the Mets playing a night game at home that night?

Any checked baggage to claim?

If the answer is "no" to all of the above, the LGA-JFK express bus should be fine, as would the Q70 SBS bus to Jackson Heights, followed by the E train to Sutphin/Archer/JFK Station, and then the AirTrain to your terminal. Unless you are looking to save a few dollars, I would just take the express bus.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

This will be before the baseball season begins.
Not expecting to have to pick up a bag at LGA. (If I did, would the time difference be enough for this to fail?)
Not expecting to have to check a bag at JFK.

Strong consensus among facebook friends on this question (6-1 among those speaking out) is that I would be fine, but given the timing and perceived slowness of the lanes at JFK, I should probably stick to cab rather than airporter. And for $20 difference, they're probably right.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

This will be before the baseball season begins.
Not expecting to have to pick up a bag at LGA. (If I did, would the time difference be enough for this to fail?)
Not expecting to have to check a bag at JFK.

Strong consensus among facebook friends on this question (6-1 among those speaking out) is that I would be fine, but given the timing and perceived slowness of the lanes at JFK, I should probably stick to cab rather than airporter. And for $20 difference, they're probably right.
I agree. A cab is more convenient. Worth it to me.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboJet
I agree. A cab is more convenient. Worth it to me.
That very much depends on how long the taxi queue is at 6:15 pm.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
No one can predict the future. You might make it, you might not. It's definitely closer than most people would recommend. One thing others haven't asked about is which terminal at JFK, as some have longer walks through the terminal than others. Also, is your airline out of JFK a Precheck participating airline? Not all foreign carriers do.
It doesn't seem like there's much to offer you but good luck and take a cab.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move your post to the New York, NY forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information post.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Adam1222
No one can predict the future. You might make it, you might not. It's definitely closer than most people would recommend. One thing others haven't asked about is which terminal at JFK, as some have longer walks through the terminal than others. Also, is your airline out of JFK a Precheck participating airline? Not all foreign carriers do.
It doesn't seem like there's much to offer you but good luck and take a cab.
If no one can predict the future, how is it that you can predict that it "definitely [will be] closer than most people would recommend"?

If the OP's arrival into LGA is on time, I can predict the future: he will comfortably make his connection. This is a no brainer.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Cab?
Airporter?
What else to know?
if your BP doesnt have Pre-check printed on it no pc.

Last weeks flight from and back to PHL didnt have PC on them even thou my # was on the res,TSA says everyone will be denied every so often, 1st time for me since they started with PC back when. so if you have 2 different tkts (PNRs) JFK may be there even if the flight to LGA didnt have it or vice versa
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Blumie
If no one can predict the future, how is it that you can predict that it "definitely [will be] closer than most people would recommend"?

If the OP's arrival into LGA is on time, I can predict the future: he will comfortably make his connection. This is a no brainer.
For one thing, OP almost certainly doesn't have a connection but two flights on two separate tickets. Depending on the airline for the JFK flight, if he does not arrive in time that whole ticket will be cancelled. I agree that four hours is enough to make this work, but the question really is will he have four hours? OP needs to understand the consequences of having booked two tickets.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could it be arrival into LGA on DL and depart from JFK on AA, of course on two separate tickets?

LGA has some nasty road construction in front of the terminals, so there could be bad traffic jams right at the airport. Moreover, 6:15 pm is still rush hour on the outskirts of NYC.

It could be worth it to arrange for a reliable car service so that there's no risk of a long taxi line or half hour wait for the airporter bus.

ADDED: Has the OP checked MCT for his/her combination of airlines? That gives some idea, although it doesn't apply if there are two separate tickets.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.