Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC or JMB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC; JMB
BAEC or JMB

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is already covered.. but I couldn't find it.

I fly roughly once per month from Japan to Europe with work. Domestic (JP) in Y and other legs are generally M. Domestic and HND-LHR are JAL; European connections with BA.

I am silver with BA, and have no status with JMB currently.

My questions is twofold:

1) Am I better building up status with JAL? (note that BA only give 50% milage for M, whereas JMB gives 70%)

2) If I do switch to crediting my flights to JMB, can I still use my BAEC silver status perks (i.e. use the lounge until I reach sapphire with JAL)?

A side-note - my silver status card got delivered to my U.K address. Assuming I don't register my FFP at check-in, can I just give my BAEC number until I pick the card up? Or do I physically need the card?

Thanks in advance..
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I can't comment on the best place to credit but:

- You can use your BA Status, even if you're JMB is on the booking. Sometimes they require to have your BA number on the ticket to "unlock" the perks but you can always ask to change it back to JMB before you take the flight (I usually do this in the lounge). OW rules apply for most lounge access so that would be OK.

- I've only had to show my physical card in 3rd party lounges but recently the digital version of that card is accepted as well. (Some lounges / agents might always be difficult but the digital card has the same "validity" as the plastic one).
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fp7100
I fly roughly once per month from Japan to Europe with work. Domestic (JP) in Y and other legs are generally M. Domestic and HND-LHR are JAL; European connections with BA.

My questions is twofold:
1) Am I better building up status with JAL? (note that BA only give 50% mileage for M, whereas JMB gives 70%)

2) If I do switch to crediting my flights to JMB, can I still use my BAEC silver status perks (i.e. use the lounge until I reach sapphire with JAL)?
What is your criteria for better?
What do you want from a ffp?

If awards are an objective earn to burn is what matters. Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn between ffp’s. 10,000 frequent flyer miles in 1 ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 frequent flyer miles in another ffp. Each airline ffp has different rules for using (burning) those miles/points for awards and different copay/surcharge $$ fees

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. FFP’s are for the medium to long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)
Be mindful of expiry http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Just put your ffp number in the reservation. Physical cards have little use now, but very occasionally are needed.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by fp7100
I'm new here, so forgive me if this is already covered.. but I couldn't find it.

My questions is twofold:

1) Am I better building up status with JAL? (note that BA only give 50% milage for M, whereas JMB gives 70%)

A side-note - my silver status card got delivered to my U.K address. Assuming I don't register my FFP at check-in, can I just give my BAEC number until I pick the card up? Or do I physically need the card?

Thanks in advance..
Personally I think BAEC offers more collectively, but if you earn and burn your miles I see the appeal of JAL. I would personally stick with BA.

Regarding the card, you are often asked to present the card but having it on the booking should be OK. When your card is on the booking, your status is printed on the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.