FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   How to best track your FT interests? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1813570-how-best-track-your-ft-interests.html)

mymilesandpoints Jan 7, 2017 8:54 am

How to best track your FT interests?

hi guys - i try hard to follow UA threads here on this page and the SPG page because I'm trying to focus on UA this year (trying to go up from UA Gold), and i'm a SPG plat member.
How do folks here manage to keep track of all the threads and replies all the time? I often get lost keeping track of even my own replies. I tried turning on email alerts but it only emails me AFTER i've logged back in to flyertalk again, but I can't go on flyertalk at work (i work in finance, they ban message forums), and have to sneak on my phone just to refresh flyertalk so they send me emails. Is there a better system that you guys use to keep track of flyertalk posts?

NewbieRunner Jan 7, 2017 1:12 pm

Thread being moved to Information Desk.

NewbieRunner Jan 7, 2017 1:13 pm

Do you subscribe to the threads within the UA and SPG forums you are particularly interested in? If there have been new posts those threads should appear under 'Subscribed Threads' every time you log in.

FirstInFlight Jan 7, 2017 2:10 pm

Try the IFTTT app - which let's you build recipes to receive FT update alerts

mymilesandpoints Jan 7, 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 27721724)
Do you subscribe to the threads within the UA and SPG forums you are particularly interested in? If there have been new posts those threads should appear under 'Subscribed Threads' every time you log in.

i try to do that but they get confusing because well, first it's confusing to get there. under quick links there are "My Threads", and then far below there is "Subscribed Threads". I think i get a little confused as I only get to go on flyertalk every once in a while, and not every couple hours. So i don't use that function a lot.

When I do find Subscribed Threads, it also gets tough to track as some threads are bolded, some are light blue, and then some are normal blue. Not sure what they mean sometimes and how do they arrange the order? Is it by last reply?

Anyway, sound like i just need to be more familiar with these options. On the mobile device I think the layout's slightly different too and sometimes you click on a specific link, it brings you to page 55 of 57 for some reason, and you wonder if that's "last read" for you, but it almost never is, and then i'll have to keep scrolling down and page 57 will eventually appear.

i'm beginning to sound like i'm an amateur with technology now.. so i'm going to stop here haha. but would love to hear how other people keep track of flyertalk, especially some of the moderators since you guys have way more threads to read and track.

mymilesandpoints Jan 7, 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight (Post 27721961)

as for the IFTTT app, i use it very rarely for the Amazon Echo and syncing it up with my lights and alarms. So for example, when its 7am in the morning and my alarm goes off, the lights in my entire apartment light up.

How do you use it with IFTTT for flyertalk? Does Echo say something when there's a reply on your thread?

NewbieRunner Jan 7, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints (Post 27722081)
i try to do that but they get confusing because well, first it's confusing to get there. under quick links there are "My Threads", and then far below there is "Subscribed Threads". I think i get a little confused as I only get to go on flyertalk every once in a while, and not every couple hours. So i don't use that function a lot.

When I do find Subscribed Threads, it also gets tough to track as some threads are bolded, some are light blue, and then some are normal blue. Not sure what they mean sometimes and how do they arrange the order? Is it by last reply?

Anyway, sound like i just need to be more familiar with these options. On the mobile device I think the layout's slightly different too and sometimes you click on a specific link, it brings you to page 55 of 57 for some reason, and you wonder if that's "last read" for you, but it almost never is, and then i'll have to keep scrolling down and page 57 will eventually appear.

i'm beginning to sound like i'm an amateur with technology now.. so i'm going to stop here haha. but would love to hear how other people keep track of flyertalk, especially some of the moderators since you guys have way more threads to read and track.

What I failed to mention was the use of My FlyerTalk button in top right. It's the first thing I click when I go to FlyerTalk. Your subscribed threads with new posts since you last logged in should appear under "Subscribed threads". Click the down arrow to the left of the thread title to go to the first "new" post.

Bolded thread titles mean there are "new" posts since you last accessed the thread. Light blue threads mean there are no new posts.

Mwenenzi Jan 8, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 27722482)
What I failed to mention was the use of My FlyerTalk button in top right.

My FlyerTalk is top left on my sreen. (Laptop)
Quicklinks, which has subscribed threads and my threads on top right.

NewbieRunner Jan 8, 2017 2:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 27726352)
My FlyerTalk is top left on my sreen. (Laptop)
Quicklinks, which has subscribed threads and my threads on top right.

I was referring to the My Flyertalk button right at the top rather than the text link lower down.

Low Roller Jan 8, 2017 3:18 pm

I found things confusing when I first joined, but the myflyertalk button tends to sort everything out and shows any new action in your subscribed threads. Note, that if you're viewing it on a smaller screen the button may not appear as shown above, so just click the three bars in the upper left corner to bring up an expanded menu which contains the myflyertalk link.

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2017 5:16 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Low Roller (Post 27727114)
Note, that if you're viewing it on a smaller screen the button may not appear as shown above, so just click the three bars in the upper left corner to bring up an expanded menu which contains the myflyertalk link.

And if you use the mobile interface of FT this is where you find the link to My FlyerTalk after clicking the three bars.

lin821 Jan 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints (Post 27720660)
...I often get lost keeping track of even my own replies. I tried turning on email alerts but it only emails me AFTER i've logged back in to flyertalk again, but I can't go on flyertalk at work (i work in finance, they ban message forums), and have to sneak on my phone just to refresh flyertalk so they send me emails. Is there a better system that you guys use to keep track of flyertalk posts?

Have you tried the tips mentioned in the wiki of this sticky thread yet?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...-wikipost.html

And don't forget our Technical Support and Feedback Forum.

jackal Jan 10, 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints (Post 27722081)

MyFlyerTalk is immensely useful and is the main thing I use to access FT. In fact, if I type "f" in my browser address bar, the first thing my browser autocompletes is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php.

In the default MyFlyerTalk view, anything in "New Subscribed Threads:" is new and unread. I think everything there should be bold. That's the main and easiest way for you to follow up on threads you've posted to (or have subscribed to) to see if people have responded to questions you've asked.

By the way, be sure that your "Edit Options" (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profi...do=editoptions) is set to automatically subscribe you to threads you post in. Go to that page and look for the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" option. My preference is "No Email Notification" (which does subscribe you in MyFlyerTalk but doesn't email you when replies are posted), but if you don't visit FT regularly enough to follow the discussions in MyFlyerTalk alone, you may wish to add one of the email options. Just be sure that it does not say "Do not subscribe," or threads you post in won't appear in MyFlyerTalk.

If you click to view all of your subscribed threads, then you'll see both bolded and unbolded threads. Bolded means there are new, unread posts in that thread, and unbolded means that you've read everything in that thread. I'm not sure what "light blue" means--I don't think I've seen that before. Everything is by default ordered by most recent activity (most recent post), so the threads with the most recent activity will be at the top. You can resort them, I think, but I leave it at the default.

The mobile skin is under development and isn't quite perfect yet. At some point in the future when you have a little more experience with it under your belt, if they still haven't fixed the issue you're reporting, you might want to report the issue you're seeing in the Technical Issues forum that lin821 linked in the previous post. I personally don't use the mobile skin as I prefer the full interface (less constricting and more familiar), so I am not that familiar with the issue you're reporting, but I will say I think I've noticed some odd and similar behavior, so I do believe you that it's acting up.

Aside from automatically subscribing to threads you post in (as directed above), you can also manually subscribe to threads you find interesting so you can keep up with them in MyFlyerTalk. You can also do the same for forums, and then the forums you subscribe to will appear in MyFlyerTalk so that you can easily click to the ones that interest you rather than wading through all of them in the main forum view.

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight (Post 27721961)

I do have a couple of IFTTT recipes that pull from the RSS feeds of some of the forums here on FT and email me an alert (i.e. new threads posted in the Mileage Run Deals forum), but a) that is probably a very advanced use-case and not one I would recommend for a newbie to FT and b) that is actually now mostly useless now that the option exists to receive instant email notifications of new threads posted in a given forum (IB turned that function on a few weeks ago).

SquarePeg Jan 12, 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 27726908)
I was referring to the My Flyertalk button right at the top rather than the text link lower down.

Never even noticed that button before, been using the link. Thanks!