Search

Help getting from Beijing to Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin Velocity Gold
Help getting from Beijing to Melbourne

Hi all

I need to work out how to get 2 seats from Bejing to Melbourne on either the 29th or 30th of January 2017. I have a decent amount of QF and Virgin Australia points if needed but can't see many decent options even when being creative with searches for both points and revenue fares. Do any savvy members have any ideas to help?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
$550USD/person seems rather reasonable for the flight.

As for points you're looking to fly less than 2 months from now which is very restrictive for award flights.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Late January is a peak time for travel as many people finish annual leave and/or start university/school in Feb. And 26th Jan is a public holiday. But Sunday 29th & Monday 30th may be few days after the peak.

FT does not have a secret source of low price fares or secret award availability.
Have you tried to look for awards on the QF or VA web sites?
Or other airline web sites or google flights?
Look for the long fights between major airports first.

VA has limited ff partners, so is may only be SQ. Look for PEK-SIN & SIN-MEL separately.

With QF you may be better trying to SYD on China Eastern Airlines (MU), a QF partner, or an other airline. Then a SYD-MEL domestic flight, but transiting at SYD is best avoided.

Edit
Chinese New Year is 28 Jan 2017 Saturday, so that makes it harder
Many Chinese residents of Australia will be going back to Aussie after spending new year with family

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 8, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Trying to find award seats from/to China during Chinese New Year will be like finding a needle in haystack. Forget it. Book the suggested revenue tickets which seem to very reasonable. Do it now before the fare increases.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin Velocity Gold
Thanks for the advice! I ended up booking a J class award seat from Beijing to Singapore via Hong Kong with Cathay and a revenue seat with Jetstar from Singapore to Melbourne. All up Just over 50k QF points and $260AUD.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dudditz
Thanks for the advice! I ended up booking a J class award seat from Beijing to Singapore via Hong Kong with Cathay and a revenue seat with Jetstar from Singapore to Melbourne. All up Just over 50k QF points and $260AUD.
That's a good outcome for 2 people.
Is JQ SIN MEL economy or business (JQ style = ~ PE)? JQ8 at 20:00 - 06:20 will hard going
Scoot also offer some good priced business (= ~ PE) fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.