Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need help: Start travel agency

Need help: Start travel agency

Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Question Need help: Start travel agency

Hi there,

I’m planning to start a travel agency at Toronto. I think this is one of the best place where I can get a good suggestion. I was working as a truck driver and now decided to start a business with my friend in partnership. As a travel agency, we need to advertise our business focused on targeted customers.

According to the current trend we decided to market our business through online. After studying the current marketing trends and suggestion of my friend who owns a restaurant achieved his goals by direct mail advertising from [name/link of business removed], Toronto. Do you think direct mail advertising is better than online advertising for travel agencies? I’m not sure about trying this method in a travel agency. Please share your opinion of choosing this stream of advertising or any other you prefer.

Thanks.

Last edited by jackal; Oct 21, 2016 at 10:39 am Reason: Spam link removed
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have no idea about which channel is better, since I throw away all flyers that come to my house/office without even looking at them, and I use adblocker software so I see no online advertisements either.

I would advise you to think very carefully about what type of travel agency you want to start. There are some reasonably high startup costs associated with GDS access, and you obviously need to be highly knowledgable about airfares and ticket mechanics. Will you cater for business or leisure travellers? If it's the former you'll need to break into a market where there are lots of professional suppliers, and if it's the latter you'll be expected to know a lot about the destinations you are recommending.

I wish you good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Danjo
I’m planning to start a travel agency at Toronto. I think this is one of the best place where I can get a good suggestion.
You'll need to be extremely competent. The only reason I still use travel agencies for certain trips is that they can resolve any problem regarding reservations (be it tours, flights, hotels, cars, etc...) with the push of a button or a phone call, whereas OTA (online travel agencies) often refuse or make the process altogether time and cost expensive. If the service, you'll be offering is very basic, you'll not go far.

In any case, running a travel agency has become a very difficult market as people somewhat have gotten the idea, that booking on the internet is always cheaper.

Do you think direct mail advertising is better than online advertising for travel agencies?
To be frank: Mail advertising goes directly to the bin.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was working as a truck driver and now decided to start a business with my friend in partnership.
How much do you know about the travel business? Presumably you know how many travel agencies were wiped out by the Internet in the '90s and '00s. To succeed you will have to prove you can create more value for clients than they can create for themselves hitting Kayak hard. Your marketing channels are the least of your worries; your core value proposition is the main challenge.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Err... am I the only one who things that this doesn't really seem like a legitimate request for help by the OP, but simply to get people to click on the link and/or to help it with SEO? Otherwise, just ask generically about direct mail vs. online...

I suppose it could be a non-English native speaker trying to target similar IN Toronto, but the OP is doomed to failure if he or she thinks that online advertising would work in competition with direct channels and OTAs who spend millions on online advertising.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Err... am I the only one who things that this doesn't really seem like a legitimate request for help by the OP, but simply to get people to click on the link and/or to help it with SEO? Otherwise, just ask generically about direct mail vs. online...
Good eye. One of the least obvious spam links I've seen in my time here.

Link removed. Spam is not allowed on FlyerTalk.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.