Search

Help for accruing Cathay tier points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:38 am
NDD
Original Poster

Talking Help for accruing Cathay tier points

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I'm new to the site so a little slow on everything.

Was wondering if anyone can help, I need to accrue Cathay tier points to keep my gold status and would like to know what's the best route to take between UK and Asia to build them up?
Happy to stopover as I understand, you get more points for this?

I will be eternally grateful for help...

Thanks,
NDD
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NDD Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by NDD
..Was wondering if anyone can help, I need to accrue Cathay tier points to keep my gold status and would like to know what's the best route to take between UK and Asia to build them up?
Happy to stopover as I understand, you get more points for this?
Your question is very open ended. What time and/or money limits?
Do you live in the UK?
Why Cathay Pacific Marco Polo / Asia Miles ffp?

Have a look at the CX forum, and the top sticky threads. You will get help there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...polo-club-487/
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:16 am
NDD
Original Poster

Am based between London and Hong Kong and travel between a few times per year.

FFP?

I suppose I could fly any of the OneWorld fleet but though it's best to stick to one airline??
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDD
Am based between London and Hong Kong and travel between a few times per year.

FFP?

I suppose I could fly any of the OneWorld fleet but though it's best to stick to one airline??
FFP = frequent flyer program.
Abbreviations are used a lot on FT. You will used to them

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades.

Earning miles from non flying activities is easier with an airline of your home country.

The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same.

Without knowing anything about yout travel profile and ffp objectives, BA or CX ffp may be best for you
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Have a look on the CX Cathay forum linked above
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I have a similar problem in that I am France based at the moment but will be UK based in the future and all my travel is eastwards (usually to NZ via HKG). I chose Asia Miles as all my travel so far has been CX or CX/NZ but that means liitle or no opportunity to collect Asia Miles on non-airline purchases. My only option otherwise is BA/Avios with a UK credit card to accrue points but I have no wish to travel via BA as it is rapidly becoming UK's 3rd low-cost carrier. There's always Amex but there are few places that will accept this card in France.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Judging from your post on "keeping gold" I will assume that with some effort you may be borderline renew for Gold?

My 2 cent is that MPC is only valuable at silver then, for your case:

- you won't be getting 4 vouchers, which, let's face it, would only be useful if you are based HKG instead of LON.
- you are far better off with say, Finnair or BA, (the former even offers life-time OWE and OWS), than CX, who's gotten ever stingy on club points, requiring you to spend much more to reach same rank compared with other OW carriers / FFPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.