Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE for 2016 posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion thread.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by afcal72
Hello
I am travelling MIA to LON and back to MIA after a stay, using my Milesaver AAdvantage miles for the flight payment.

The flight out is booked up, but the day I need to return (16th October) I cannot get a return flight that lands on the same day in Miami (or anywhere close) using the Milesaver price tier.

I don't have enough miles left for the Anytime miles so I am a little stuck.

I have tried a search using a wider selection of airports and a few other obvious search methods but to no avail.

Also I have BA "Avios" which are Oneworld but that system is totally void of any flights at all on that day.

Does anyone watch the Miles system enough to know if they add seating availability, in which case I will risk waiting a few days to book.

Any advice is appreciated.
Search aa.com for SAAver seats from anywhere in Europe to MIA. (You might also check aa.com for award availability on AB DUS-RSW. ) If you find anything, see if you can tack on your LON-XXX flight to the same award. You could also use your Avios for the positioning flight; doing so will use up some Avios, but probably will yield a significantly lower cash cost for the trip.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold,BA Exec,OneWorld Ruby,HiltonH Diamond,Omni Platinum,Virgin Flying Club
Smile

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I can see availability to JFK and ORD but no reward flights onward so you would have to look at a cheap cash ticket.

Thank you ExpatSomchai. I just booked a 30k AA Award flight on a 777-200 V2 leaving mid afternoon into JFK giving me a couple of hours in JFK to switch onto a cash ($156)Jet blue flight down to where I need to be. I should be at home in bed before the clock ticks to the top.

Thank you for the other suggestions to. I will be certain to look at the SAAver flights in future. Guv1976 when I get my head round what you are doing there with Air Berlin I will surely be enlightened for future work rounds.

Thanks people!

Check out www.skiplagged.com on for some cash flight deals . They use a concept of booking destinations beyond your hub destination to save money. Works well on mobile apps like android or ios.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
By 'a couple of hours' do you mean two? That likely isn't enough to go through immigration (unless you have GE), get your bags, change terminals, and check into your JetBlue flight. You may face buying a new flight to MIA.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:12 pm

Any tips for booking AA Milesaver award FLL/MIA to OGG

Hello, I've been saving AA miles forever and finally have almost enough for 2 (off-season 20,000 each way) tickets to Maui. I would like to go for 10 days during labor day 2017. It is still more than 330 days out and I've been checking AA each day trying to understand how their award ticketing works. I almost never see available tickets for 20,000. Are they booked at midnight and gone each day before 6am or do they randomly release them after 330 days? Any tips you can give me to help me get tickets would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by debp
Hello, I've been saving AA miles forever and finally have almost enough for 2 (off-season 20,000 each way) tickets to Maui. I would like to go for 10 days during labor day 2017. It is still more than 330 days out and I've been checking AA each day trying to understand how their award ticketing works. I almost never see available tickets for 20,000. Are they booked at midnight and gone each day before 6am or do they randomly release them after 330 days? Any tips you can give me to help me get tickets would be most appreciated. Thank you.
You need to be realistic with your expectations. You want to fly during a holiday weekend, just like everyone else want to. The odds are against you. Best bet is to set yourself an expertflyer alert 330 days out when you plan to fly. Also, I suggest you get more miles as well, with AA dynamic award pricing, saver miles might be more on holiday times.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:39 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I will keep checking each day and hope for the best. Maybe one of these days I will get lucky. Do you happen to know what time (EST) the seats become available?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:47 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
American has recently gone to a more demand-driven pricing structure for its awards such that true "low" rates are often not available. For example, I've seen on one domestic route I was stalking for awhile that 12.5k one way ("low" coach domestic) was never made available and ended up booking at 15k one way.

I don't believe they are as much in the routine of releasing seats on awards when the schedule opens, unlike some other carriers. You'll probably find it necessary to spend more miles.

Also consider, though, that Alaska flies to Hawaii and no matter how you get there from MIA/FLL you've got at least one stop. You might find better luck with MIA-SEA-HNL. Those can be searched and booked on AA.com. I believe it would require an overnight stop in Seattle, at least on the way there, based on the current schedule.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dll
American has recently gone to a more demand-driven pricing structure for its awards such that true "low" rates are often not available. For example, I've seen on one domestic route I was stalking for awhile that 12.5k one way ("low" coach domestic) was never made available and ended up booking at 15k one way.

I don't believe they are as much in the routine of releasing seats on awards when the schedule opens, unlike some other carriers. You'll probably find it necessary to spend more miles.

Also consider, though, that Alaska flies to Hawaii and no matter how you get there from MIA/FLL you've got at least one stop. You might find better luck with MIA-SEA-HNL. Those can be searched and booked on AA.com. I believe it would require an overnight stop in Seattle, at least on the way there, based on the current schedule.
Can also route MIA-SAN-HNL/OGG, MIA-SFO - (overnight ground transfer) - OAK/SJC - HNL/OGG. If you wanted to double-connect, you could even avoid the overnight if you left FLL or MIA in the morning; Alaska has evening flights from SEA/PDX/SAN to OGG/HNL.

To the OP's original question (sort of) -- AA, unlike some other carriers, doesn't have a set time at which they release award space for X days ahead. Inventory release occurs at what can seem to the consumer random times; you just have to keep looking.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by debp
Please read the Wikipost at the top of this page; we have merged your query into the existing thread on this (MileSAAver) topic. /Moderator
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:09 am

Thank you for your help! American Airlines lets me search FLL and MIA on both AA and Alaska Airlines so that helps. I am hoping to get there with only one stop (dreaming big) but I am realistic that I may have to have 2 connections and use more than 20,000 each way. I also found flights on Delta from MIA with one stop and FLL with 2 stops so maybe I will have to use Delta one way and American one way. I will continue checking and hopefully one day I will get lucky and my hard work will pay off.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I am hoping to find some insight from some of you experts… In short, the wife and I turn 40 next year and I want to surprise her with an int'l trip she won't forget. I would like for us to see Europe (would be first time for both) and I want to use AA mile and at least have a flatbed seat- F or J.

Some parameters:

-Depart next summer after/on 7/15/17 for 7-10 days
-600-700k AA miles to burn
-Out of BUF, but JFK/YYZ/ORD are also easy departure points for us
-Italy/Paris/London would be nice

I just cant seem to find awards without a massive surcharge. i.e., $2200 on BA, + 230k miles. Anyhow, if you were looking to book this, are there any itineraries that stick out? Thank you.

I am hoping to find some insight from some of you experts… In short, the wife and I turn 40 next year and I want to surprise her with an int'l trip she won't forget. I would like for us to see Europe (would be first time for both) and I want to use AA mile and at least have a flatbed seat- F or J.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 1, 2018 at 10:26 pm Reason: Remove original post title
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:22 pm

Also- I would like to preserve some miles if I can. I know that I can get F on AA 773 for 175k each way, pp, but if there are better options, I would like some help.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
First off, avoid using BA under any circumstances if you are redeeming mileage. That's how you'll avoid those ridiculous fees.

Secondly, my suggestion is first, determine exactly what you want to do (i.e. which airport you want to fly into and out of)...then work from there to find the best mileage deals, realizing that mileage availability is constantly changing (for better or worse).
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:36 pm

Thank you Matt. The best option I am seeing is JFK-FCO in J, 772 for 230k and $70 in taxes. I don't think Ive seen much better options. Im sure its fine for us but I guess what would be helpful, is this a good value? J on a 772 for that price? I fly 200+ segments a yr but its domestic regionals and all so I have no basis for long haul.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Daisymonster
Thank you Matt. The best option I am seeing is JFK-FCO in J, 772 for 230k and $70 in taxes. I don't think Ive seen much better options. Im sure its fine for us but I guess what would be helpful, is this a good value? J on a 772 for that price? I fly 200+ segments a yr but its domestic regionals and all so I have no basis for long haul.
The J on 772 is a very decent product, lie flat. Some people don't like it, though, there's a slight shakyness to the seat, but I've never had any problems with it. Service is, well AA service.
Are you EXP? Cause then you can have those booked for now and if saver come up for the flight, then you can rebook into saver awards.
Also, F v J on AA 77W is not worth the price difference since the seats aren't very different and the old 777 should be completely out of rotation for TATL flights by your trip.
The 77W J is easily the best J seat in AA fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.