Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to European travel [AA ex-FCO]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

New to European travel [AA ex-FCO]

It's been over 20 years since I traveled to Italy. I have some questions about my return flight on American Airlines out of FCO Rome, Italy:

1. A. While in Italy (Rome) are we still able to print our boarding passes at a hotel the day before our flight or do we have to print them at a kiosk at FCO?
B. Can I assume that I am able to check-in online 24 hours ahead of time even if I can not print my boarding pass?

2. If I am able to print my boarding pass at either place, and I have no luggage to check, and am in business class am I able just to go to Security at Terminal 5? or do I have to go to the AA ticket counter (business class) and get my boarding pass, show my passport, and then go to security?

3. The AA ticket counter at Terminal 5 in FCO says it opens at 6:30 AM. Can I assume that the terminal actually opens at that time since I have read online that it doesn't open until 7:00 AM. Which is correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've alerted a MOD to consider moving this post to the AA forum.

You should be able to check-in and printout a boarding pass unless the AA computer system needs to verify your travel documents. The check-in process should open up 24 hours before departure time (locally).
Not familiar with FCO for AA so won't comment on that.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP is flying out on AA, we'll move this to the AA forum. Please follow the redirect to the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Having recently flown out of FCO on AA, here was our experience:

US airlines, including AA operate passenger check-in out of T5. We overnighted at FCO Hilton, which is connected to T3. There was a shuttle that had to be taken from T3 to T5 (2nd stop), which would also be needed if you're coming in from the city by train, so be aware of this additional step.

Once you arrive at T5, you will queue up for passport check first, and then be allowed into the check-in desk area. We were NOT able to do OLCI or print boarding passes ahead of time, but this seems to be rather random/spotty when departing from EU to the US, so YMMV.

Once you get checked in and drop off your bags, you will then go through official passport control and security and then be bused to T3 to wait for your flight/shop/lounge. When it's time to board, you'll go back downstairs, get on the bus and be taken to the remote stand for boarding.

The entire process is very annoying and inefficient, and I would allow at least an hour for check-in/passport control/security.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I fly out of there often on AA flights - last time was December 2015. While it is possible to print boarding passes at the hotel the day before, it's not necessary because you must check in at the counter even if you aren't planning to check a bag. There are at least three passport checks before boarding. I fly premium cabin so the check in line one or two deep at most. That said, I never transit that place in the summer, but mostly spring and fall.

The taxi will take you to T5. There is no PreCheck but the last time I encountered a long security line was in 2010 before the remodeling. The whole process has never taken me an hour but I always allow two hours. I don't travel on early flights so I can't help with airport hours.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k
I fly out of there often on AA flights - last time was December 2015. While it is possible to print boarding passes at the hotel the day before, it's not necessary because you must check in at the counter even if you aren't planning to check a bag. There are at least three passport checks before boarding. I fly premium cabin so the check in line one or two deep at most. That said, I never transit that place in the summer, but mostly spring and fall.

The taxi will take you to T5. There is no PreCheck but the last time I encountered a long security line was in 2010 before the remodeling. The whole process has never taken me an hour but I always allow two hours. I don't travel on early flights so I can't help with airport hours.
We were on an 11:25 flight to ORD in J. Other than the check-in line, which still took forever due to the agent working on some type of an issue of the customer ahead of us, there were no other premium/elite/fast-track lines that were made available to us. Passport control, security and boarding were all one giant cluster.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

OMG! I guess it depends on the day / time / problems with passengers, etc. as with every flight.

Thank you everyone for your information.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Be prepared to be significantly delayed....enjoy!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Just a couple of additions to what others have said.

The T5 terminal is far away from the other terminals. If you are arriving at FCO by train in the morning, you will need to take a shuttle to T5 (easy to do, though). Otherwise your limo or taxi will take you straight to it. It looks like-- and is--a concrete bunker.

After the passport check and quiz (did you pack your own bags?), you will be given a clear plastic bag into which you must put all of your small electronic devices and all of your chargers--phone charger, iPad charger, camera charger etc. That is, don't pack any devices or chargers. Have them handy.

T5 is a no-nonsense terminal with a coffee shop, restrooms and not much else in the way of amenities.

Yes, you can usually print ahead of time, and yes, you'll still have to check in.

Yes, there are speedier lines for Business Class, including a speedier line to get to the security machines, but all lines can be slow.

After getting through the security line, you go to passport control, where there's another line, and after that you wait in still another line for the bus to the remote gates. At the remote gates, there is plenty of shopping, and there are places to get something to eat or drink. The business lounges are there, too, and also a weird-looking room for smokers. The trip from the gate to your plane is on an escalator.

Buon Viaggio!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
In almost 1mm miles of flying in the last 10 years and over 50% international, (I know many others beat me out on this, but just saying) I have only missed one flight ever by my own volition: Yes FCO T5. FCO-PHL in paid J as an ex US CP. Give it time. I got to FCO almost 3 hours early but with returning a rental car, shuttle to the main terminals, rendezvous with the Mrs, then walk and find shuttle to T5 (both shuttle rides included a scheduled 5-10 min smoke break), that 3 hours widdled down to 100 min at check in and we didn't make it. In fact, we weren't even close: the next day (rebooked) we checked in at T-2.5hrs and we used almost every minute. Take a taxi up to T5, and I would give it almost 3 hrs to be safe.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Was the smoking break for you, or the driver?

"By my own volition" means that you decided to miss the flight - but then one wonders why you tried to catch it
Attached Images  
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

[QUOTE=Joanna2360;27169190

After getting through the security line, you go to passport control, where there's another line, and after that you wait in still another line for the bus to the remote gates. At the remote gates, there is plenty of shopping, and there are places to get something to eat or drink. The business lounges are there, too, and also a weird-looking room for smokers. The trip from the gate to your plane is on an escalator.

Buon Viaggio![/QUOTE]

The "remote gates" are actually T3 concourses G and H, IIRC. You will get bused from T5 (which is really just a check-in / security / passport control building, to T3 G/H, where you can shop, eat, and/or access a lounge. Then you will go back down to a bus gate and get bused to your aircraft at a remote stand in front of T5.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Was the smoking break for you, or the driver?

"By my own volition" means that you decided to miss the flight - but then one wonders why you tried to catch it
Late night writing: By my own determination to fly out of FCO with not enough time to spare - thus leading to missing said flight.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

And I was thinking 3 hours was too much time! Apparently not! We have a 9:40 AM flight and will be at T5 at 6:30 AM when AA's ticket counter opens (so it says on their website). Hopefully it will be open that early and we can begin the departing process ...

Thank you everyone for your input!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:24 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by akcae
...Then you will go back down to a bus gate and get bused to your aircraft at a remote stand in front of T5.
That is not the usual route. It's usually as Joanna2360 describes - you just descend the escalator and walk the jet bridge to the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.