Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Nonstop to Japan from US West Coast or NYC (award)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi -
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I have a bunch of Amex points and I am looking to fly biz class from either NYC or the West Coast to Tokyo. Anyone have a sense for which carrier would a) offer the best biz class experience and b) which would likely have the most award seat availability? I know it may not be the same answer for each. Trip is in 2 months from now - mid-October.

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:19 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I'm going to send this to the Information Desk forum as it's not specifically related to travel in Japan, but rather which airline to use.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You're a bit late to the redemption party looking for Sept-October. In general ANA is the best for US-Japan/Northern Asia redemptions but you're going to have to check most/all of the programs to make sure at this point. ANA gives you access to Star Alliance members and I'd say ANA is better in J than UA & CA which are the 3 major operators on that route.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:49 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If the ANA award is for > 1 PAX then the extra PAX MUST be in the same close family and registered in the owner's ANA account. ANA rule.

BTW, I love ANA Business and First!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Any experience on the ANA waitlist? It is a risk because they wont waitlist us without miles in the bank, but once I make my Amex transfer the miles are stuck there.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think anyone can give you the sort of concrete advice that would make you feel comfortable pulling the Amex trigger. I feel your pain, but I can't see this being any better than 50/50.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Note that SQ flies LAX-NRT nonstop also. Not sure how SQ's redemption rates and surcharges on this route compare to NH's.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Any other advice on alternatives that are a nice product to Tokyo from either NYC or LAX? How is the United biz class?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:53 am
Suspended

Nowhere near in the same league. I suppose you need to ask yourself if it's really the worst thing in the world to have your points stuck in either SQ or NH. You'll probably use them at some point.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Actually, this is not a business trip. It is a celebration trip - so its a one off for me. I wont be back to Asia on business, so the miles are likely in lockup.

As an aside, I am using a tool called Expertflyer to search award seats - but Cathay is not an option. Any good advice on trying to search their award seats?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Actually, this is not a business trip. It is a celebration trip - so its a one off for me. I wont be back to Asia on business, so the miles are likely in lockup.

As an aside, I am using a tool called Expertflyer to search award seats - but Cathay is not an option. Any good advice on trying to search their award seats?

NH and SQ miles are redeemable on UA domestic flights too, in case availability to TYO does not open up after you transfer your points in.

Why are you interested in CX award availability? I thought you only wanted nonstop flights from the U.S. to Tokyo.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I did/do - but I would rather have a great experience with a stop vs. a mediocre one that is non-stop. The extra hours are worth it. Again, its a celebration trip vs. having to get there at a certain time or state of mind for work.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

My point was that, as long as you were not saving your MR points for something else, you may as well have them in a FF account. As pointed out, you can still redeem on any *A carrier (in this case).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, I get your point. But the issue is this: lets say we put all the miles in a UA account and shoot for ASA waitlist and dont get it. I have no backup plan - I am not interested in buying a coach ticket, and I dont want to use points for coach. So ideally, I would know that I have a seat somewhere - even with a stop - and then put the miles in. I did this once about 4 years ago on China Southern via Delta. I was living in Atlanta and so Delta was a no brainer.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I did/do - but I would rather have a great experience with a stop vs. a mediocre one that is non-stop. The extra hours are worth it. Again, its a celebration trip vs. having to get there at a certain time or state of mind for work.
Well, then, you have other options to consider, including Korean via ICN using DL miles, and Asiana via ICN using NH/SQ miles. If you're departing from NYC, you might even be able to use TK via IST using Aeroplan, NH, or SQ miles, depending on routing rules. But make sure that you carefully look at each program's cash surcharges, if any.

And, of course, with either CX miles or BA Avios, you can look for nonstop award flights on JL. But BAEC's redemption rates are likely to be higher than the other programs' rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.