Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

looking up checked bag tracking

Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:37 am
Original Poster

So my bag actually arrived before me. It would have been nice to figure that out myself, but I cannot figure this baggage ID number they talk about. I had initially gone through Austrian, and there is 4 digits and then 6 digits, but putting it into OS or UA websites didn't yield anything.
The agent scanned it, but I read only Delta's app had that capability.

Anybody know how to track your bag? Most airlines have a website through worldtracer, but if you look the File Reference they give as an example usually begins with letters, whereas mine is all numbers.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
What was your first carrier for the bag check?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

OS to AC to UA.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldTracer

"The tracking number format is AAABBNNNNN, where AAA is the airport's IATA-Code, BB is the airline's IATA-Code and NNNNN is a 5-digit tracking number. For example, the tracking number PHLDL19676 is from Philadelphia International Airport, flew on Delta Airlines, and has the tracking number of 19676."

Having looked at some examples I have, the tracking number appears to be 6 digits rather than 5 digit. If they are all numbers remove the first 4 digits which are the airline code (0257 if OS).

If your bag arrived before you why do you need to track it?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldTracer

"The tracking number format is AAABBNNNNN, where AAA is the airport's IATA-Code, BB is the airline's IATA-Code and NNNNN is a 5-digit tracking number. For example, the tracking number PHLDL19676 is from Philadelphia International Airport, flew on Delta Airlines, and has the tracking number of 19676."

Having looked at some examples I have, the tracking number appears to be 6 digits rather than 5 digit. If they are all numbers remove the first 4 digits which are the airline code (0257 if OS).

If your bag arrived before you why do you need to track it?
Great, thanks! I didn't know the format.

Oh, because my bags didn't arrive on my flight, so I was wondering where they were. It would have be useful to know (before even getting off the plane) that they were there, somewhere off to the side, and saved me an hour (waiting for the bags to finish off-loading, not finding them, waiting in line for the UA agent).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.