Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by Hartmann
My receipts always show an add/collect.
But the issue date does change, so you can qualify for date-limited promotions.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Had to HUCA 2 times before an agent didn't try pushing a change fee onto me. I mentioned GG BUYUP to the first agent multiple times and her response was: "I know what that is, but I'm only allowed to waive the change fee if you're buying up to a different class, for example from economy to business, or business to first". She apparently even 'got a supervisor' and confirmed that the change fee would still apply.

Didn't push it with the second agent, just said thank you and hung up.

Third agent priced it correctly, didn't even mention a change fee, applied the GPU's, and even told me my position on their waitlist.

When in doubt, HUCA.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Had to HUCA 2 times before an agent didn't try pushing a change fee onto me. I mentioned GG BUYUP to the first agent multiple times and her response was: "I know what that is, but I'm only allowed to waive the change fee if you're buying up to a different class, for example from economy to business, or business to first". She apparently even 'got a supervisor' and confirmed that the change fee would still apply. ..
Agrees with what it is believed that GG BUYUP states. Which does not include upfraring to a higher fare in the same cabin.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Third agent priced it correctly, ...
correctly?? -- per what policy??
You got lucky with an agent willing to waive policy.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Had a similar experience today.

Booked via our corporate engine. Called to upfare to A, the lowest first cabin available on my flights. Was told that there would be a difference in fare and a change fee due to the fact I booked it through a TA. I wasn't looking at this thread at the time but I'll call back and see if they will waive the fee.
Originally Posted by simmang
This exact situation has happened to me (fee applies because ticket issued by TA). I hung up and called right back and the second agent processed the change without a change fee.
Similar no-go recently on a corporate TA fare. 4 agents + 1 sup all said 'no, because this is an agency ticket' and if it was not then they could absolutely do this. I told them this was silly since they are wasting the money I was willing to give them ... they understood but said it was no longer possible. Wonder if this is a recently problem. These are corporate discounter fares ...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Called in last month on a ticket that was 2 weeks out because R opened up and I was willing to upfare from K->W to grab it on the spot
No issues and agent took a few minutes and was really nice because
Agent: "I also had them price out the return and its only an extra $56 for the full round trip if you wanted to try waitlisting on the return as well"
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I've currently got a rtn ITIN booked for August for MCO-SFO-HKG.
Outward booked in U with a GPU applied and cleared SFO-HKG
Rtn booked in P

I would like to try to upfare to B on the outward ($386 for 4680 extra PQM's and more chance of MO-SFO clearing), but P is no longer available for the return as it had a 50 day advance purchase requirement.

If I try to upfare, will the return have to be repriced to a Z fare, or can they just upfare the one direction, notwithstanding hoping to get the change fee waived as well. Altrnatively, is it better to wait until the night before and try to SDC.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Richym99

I would like to try to upfare to B on the outward ($386 for 4680 extra PQM's and more chance of MO-SFO clearing), but P is no longer available for the return as it had a 50 day advance purchase requirement.

If I try to upfare, will the return have to be repriced to a Z fare, or can they just upfare the one direction, notwithstanding hoping to get the change fee waived as well. ....
Ticket changes prior to travel re-fare the entire itin.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ticket changes prior to travel re-fare the entire itin.
If that is true, then would adding on a return sector (prior to travel) to a one-way flight require a change fee?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
If that is true, then would adding on a return sector (prior to travel) to a one-way flight require a change fee?
yes -- but does hurt to ask fr a waiver (and expect a no, be pleased with a yes).

Also check if a separate OW return might be cheaper.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Does anyone know if you can use a TCV to upfare under this program? For example, my employer books economy, can I use my TCVs to upfare into business on the outbound leg to Europe?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Does anyone know if you can use a TCV to upfare under this program? For example, my employer books economy, can I use my TCVs to upfare into business on the outbound leg to Europe?
My initial gut reaction was to say no.. because the T&C's say it's for the purchase of the electronic ticket. But, at the same time upfaring a ticket isn't really excluded anywhere as long as another TCVA wasn't used to purchase it in the first place..and if you are having the ticket re-issued (not simply buying an upgrade)...then it's kind of the same thing.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...Conditions.pdf

So I don't know.. never tried.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Pay fare differential economy to first - reimbursement

My university is willing to pay for economy. I see a flight (United) where first is not much more expensive. I'd like to purchase first, but the university will only reimburse economy price.

I know that many airlines (United included) offer an option to buy-up to the first class. I fear that the cost of this buy-up from economy W fare class to the advertised A fare class will be more expensive than the actual advertised fare difference.

For sake of clarity, an example:
W-fare price: $200
A-fare price: $300

Is it possible that after buying the above W-fare, the buy-up offer is (for example) $225, which is significantly more than the $100 difference?

Does United (or other airlines) offer an option/workaround for such a thing where the intent of the flyer is to pay the fare difference, but the flyer must document the economy portion as the reimbursable portion? In otherwords, I'm happy to pay the $100 myself, but I'd rather not pay the $225 buy-up amount.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Can't you call United and ask them to split the fare across two cards? The first being your university card and the balance to your personal card. You just have to give them the paper trail that shows the price of your economy ticket and then balance, which you will pay personally.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
My university is willing to pay for economy. I see a flight (United) where first is not much more expensive. I'd like to purchase first, but the university will only reimburse economy price.

I know that many airlines (United included) offer an option to buy-up to the first class. I fear that the cost of this buy-up from economy W fare class to the advertised A fare class will be more expensive than the actual advertised fare difference.

For sake of clarity, an example:
W-fare price: $200
A-fare price: $300

Is it possible that after buying the above W-fare, the buy-up offer is (for example) $225, which is significantly more than the $100 difference?

Does United (or other airlines) offer an option/workaround for such a thing where the intent of the flyer is to pay the fare difference, but the flyer must document the economy portion as the reimbursable portion? In otherwords, I'm happy to pay the $100 myself, but I'd rather not pay the $225 buy-up amount.
Can you show the particulars to Accounts, buy the A ticket @ $300 and just expense the $200 cost of the W?
I work at a corporation, I could do that with explanation. I couldn't provide a receipt for $200 and expense $300 however.
Similarly, I've expensed my meal but paid for the wife's. I just marked up the receipt and provided an explanation on the ER.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Maybe screen shots of each transaction along the way may be of use....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.