Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help! new here. DL flights NYC to Thailand (suggestions)

Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Hi there,

For the first time ever I have reached gold medallion status because of my new job and the frequent travels. I decided I may as well keep it going and see how I can best maximize my flights.

My girlfriend and have time of between August 19 (evening or later) until September 1. Ideally we were looking at going to Thailand. I would buy her ticket with my miles.

I have spent the weekend trying to figure out how to find mileage run options, or at least explore the most miles/cheapest costing flight options. I was hoping someone here could either point me in the right direction, make suggestions or help me out!

Appreciate it.
MRL
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Firstly, welcome to FT.

You'll have to follow sections such as the mileage run forum and sites such as secretflying.com which seems to gets a lot of its posts from the above mentioned forum.

It's July and you're hoping to earn and redeem a ticket to a pretty popular far off destination for August to September? Your expectations may be too high.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

appreciate the welcome and starting point! I will check this out.

I'm truly open to all destinations, perhaps Thailand is not the best location. Is it unlikely to find good options for this time-frame?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Award space is limited within most programs. Some do have anytime awards but they require high amounts of mileage in comparison. The cost of the ticket may be more attractive in the end. Awards generally open up 330 days ahead of time and you're competing with others to get those awards. North American Summer is peak family travel time which make awards harder to get and waiting until within a month can be very difficult. It's not impossible but it typically is more difficult.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

okay thank you. This website secret flying is fantastic but I haven't seen many deals with Delta. Are there other resources similar that may have Delta options?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:52 pm

Also remember you can earn and redeem on SkyTeam members and the other partners Delta has.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../airlines.html

I'm not a Skyteam person so don't know Delta prevalent websites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.