Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

PHL-NAN using AA or BA Feb 2017

Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

NAN=Nadi, Fiji (or course)

I just got off an hour-long call with AA trying to work out this trip. Advice needed!! I can use either AA or BA miles. I need to be in NAN on Feb 11, 2017, but am ok arriving a few days early, and leave NAN Feb 18, but can leave a few days later. Prefer business class but will do economy if need be.

AA was able to get me there in economy for 40k miles, which is decent, but the return is a nightmare and costs a lot of extra miles because of having to combine awards. They are using Fiji Air and AA. I haven't tried BA yet, and I suspect it will be a lot more miles than AA just because of the distance.

Anyone have any more creative ideas for the routing? I really want business both way, but want to try to keep it to the 80k award if possible.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Look at buying a short hop ticket to Sydney, Auckland, Hong Kong, Tapei or Beijing (seasonal) and then miles home from there.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA does not fly to Fiji if you're asking that, and going via Asia/Europe will cost you a lot more miles.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Was hoping a ba partner might or I was missing something obvious. Plan b is go via Australia or New Zealand. I'm bringing a friend so am considering using ba b1g1f award if I have to use more miles and plan b. I am aware that b1g1f is ba metal only.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With AA miles or BA avios you are looking at similar flight options. But FJ is not a BA partner.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Look at buying a short hop ticket to Sydney, Auckland, Hong Kong, Tapei or Beijing (seasonal) and then miles home from there.
As above. Flights from Australia or New Zealand can be cheap (in economy)
http://www.airportsfiji.com/international_airline.php
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=S...avy&MAP-STYLE=
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:39 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by erdoran
They are using Fiji Air and AA. I haven't tried BA yet, and I suspect it will be a lot more miles than AA just because of the distance.
FJ isn't a BA partner so I doubt if BA can help. I assume that AA checked on routing through HNL (1 of only 2 options with FJ.)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Paid fares from NZ & east coast Australia are cheap. It may be easier to get an award to AKL, SYD or BNE and separate paid ticket between there and NAN.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by erdoran
Was hoping a ba partner might or I was missing something obvious. Plan b is go via Australia or New Zealand. I'm bringing a friend so am considering using ba b1g1f award if I have to use more miles and plan b. I am aware that b1g1f is ba metal only.
Again, BA does not fly to Fiji.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.