Fast Track at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Track at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by BIndair
I also have a question concerning a connection:
We are flying on August 23rd with CX from HKG to LHR, 3 pax, in J. (EU citizens) Arriving T3, 18.10 pm. From terminal 4 we have a separate connecting flight with KLM from LHR to AMS, 20.25pm. (separate ticket/booking, in Y) Connection time is 2hr en 15 min. This means we most probably have to go through customs in terminal 3, collect our baggage, then travel to terminal 4, and check in again.
Doubtful, given the very short layover.

As you stated, you will enter the UK at T3 immigration, then collect the bags. Customs (assuming nothing to declare) is usually just walking through the marked door. You are now in T3 Arrivals.

Next, you would make your way to the Heathrow Central station (bags on rolling carts) and take the next Heathrow Connect shuttle train bound for T4. Trains leave every 15 minutes and the train journey takes 6 minutes. No charge, and no ticket is needed - just get on board.

When the train arrives at T4 lower level, you take the lift up to T4 Departures for KLM checkin.

The two time complications are how quickly the bags take to arrive on the belt at T3, and, more ominously, the time needed for Y checkin at KLM.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 3, 2016 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

As you stated, you will enter the UK at T3 immigration, then collect the bags. Customs (assuming nothing to declare) is usually just walking through the marked door. You are now in T3 Arrivals.

Next, you would make your way to the Heathrow Central station (bags on rolling carts) and take the next Heathrow Connect shuttle train bound for T4. Trains leave every 15 minutes and the train journey takes 6 minutes. No charge, and no ticket is needed - just get on board.

When the train arrives at T4 lower level, you take the lift up to T4 Departures for KLM checkin.

The two time complications are how quickly the bags take to arrive on the belt at T3, and, more ominously, the time needed for Y checkin at KLM.
Not to mention going thru security without Fast Track.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BIndair
I also have a question concerning a connection:
We are flying on August 23rd with CX from HKG to LHR, 3 pax, in J. (EU citizens)
Arriving T3, 18.10 pm.

From terminal 4 we have a separate connecting flight with KLM from LHR to AMS, 20.25pm. (separate ticket/booking, in Y)
Connection time is 2hr en 15 min.

This means we most probably have to go through customs in terminal 3, collect our baggage, then travel to terminal 4, and check in again.

Is this connection time realistic?
To be precise, you don't have a connection at all. You have two separate flights. If you do not get to your KLM flight in time, it, along with any other flights on that ticket are immediately cancelled. If your CX flight is on time you might make it, if it is late you probably won't. There is no way I would risk this at LHR. Either take a much later flight or spend the night in a hotel and go out the next morning.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be precise, you don't have a connection at all. You have two separate flights. If you do not get to your KLM flight in time, it, along with any other flights on that ticket are immediately cancelled. If your CX flight is on time you might make it, if it is late you probably won't. There is no way I would risk this at LHR. Either take a much later flight or spend the night in a hotel and go out the next morning.
I know right

It'd be especially dumb if BIndair booked a multi-city and then missed the first leg LHR-AMS which voids all segments in that booking.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:33 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Not to mention going thru security without Fast Track.
Security is not going to be an issue, as they would only go through it after checkin at T4. If they meet the checkin cutoff they will have no problem getting on the flight.

Immigration at T3 may be an issue however.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the replies, was really helpful.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

FWIW: we did this yesterday, and made the 'connection' to T4 in time, even had half an hour to spare
But then again, this was the very last time I booked two separate tickets with such a tight time schedule.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Fast Track at LHR Question

Hello:
My wife and I will be traveling to BCN with a stop in LHR. We are flying business class on AA730 into LHR T3, and connecting to British Airways also located in T3.

Is it as simple as getting off the plane and finding the new gate for our BA flight to BCN, or do we go through a security? I've heard of purple signs that you head towards for connecting flights?

Just trying to get ready for our first international trip with a short layover.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When you get off the plane, you will follow the purple signs for flight connections, which will take you to the security checkpoint. Because AA frequently uses the farthest gates at T3, be prepared that this could be quite a walk. You will then reclear security (security will be similar to the US in that your large electronics and your liquids bag need to be taken out of your carryon, but you do not have to take off your shoes, unlike in the US) and then be back in the main terminal.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will not clear immigration, but beware that, depending on the time of day, fast track may not be all that fast if you're connecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.