Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Track at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Fast Track at LHR

Hello:
My wife and I are flying business class from CLT - LHR - BCN. We were wondering about the amount of time between our connection in LHR - BCN. I saw where there is a fast track that is available to first / business class passengers that let 99% of the people get through in under 5 min.

Has anyone ever done this? Do we have to go through security again or do we get to go to a separate line? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Dthorne1918
Hello:
My wife and I are flying business class from CLT - LHR - BCN. We were wondering about the amount of time between our connection in LHR - BCN. I saw where there is a fast track that is available to first / business class passengers that let 99% of the people get through in under 5 min. Has anyone ever done this? Do we have to go through security again or do we get to go to a separate line? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Some vital informotion missing, but...

Assuming this is AA from Charlotte and BA to Barcelona, you will both land and depart from Terminal 3.

You will NOT enter the UK, instead you will do a transfer within T3. This involves a thorough security check. There should be a fast track line at the security check.

Once through, you can proceed to the lounges -BA Galleries Club, or also the AA Admirals Club, or both.

How long is your layover?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
I had a similar question - Do AA Biz Class flights from JFK get FastTrack at LHR T3? I will be in the UK for a couple days before heading to Norway.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by eyeNina
I had a similar question - Do AA Biz Class flights from JFK get FastTrack at LHR T3? I will be in the UK for a couple days before heading to Norway.
Yes
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Yes, and it is worth it during peak overnight flights when there are a lot of arrivals.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
Yes, and it is worth it during peak overnight flights when there are a lot of arrivals.
Awesome. Thanks, Samosa & wrp96!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:22 am

One big caveat - Fast Track is not always fast!

Even if the main Non-EU queue looks huge and scary, there are a lot more agents processing that queue. On the other hand, it's usually only 2-3 desks handling the Fast Track queue, and it only takes a few problematic cases before the line seizes up. I have frequently entered the main Non-EU line despite having FT access, and ended up coming out quicker than my fellow passengers who joined the FT line.

It is worth having a brief moment to assess which is likely to be quicker in the above context.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I saw where there is a fast track that is available to first / business class passengers that let 99% of the people get through in under 5 min.

Has anyone ever done this? Do we have to go through security again or do we get to go to a separate line? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
The figures you quote is for going landside to airside. As you are transferring you will follow the Flight Connections signs, transfer from T3-T5 and then clear transit security using the Fast Track queue. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-lhr-t5.html#

Originally Posted by stargold
One big caveat - Fast Track is not always fast!

Even if the main Non-EU queue looks huge and scary, there are a lot more agents processing that queue. On the other hand, it's usually only 2-3 desks handling the Fast Track queue, and it only takes a few problematic cases before the line seizes up. I have frequently entered the main Non-EU line despite having FT access, and ended up coming out quicker than my fellow passengers who joined the FT line.

It is worth having a brief moment to assess which is likely to be quicker in the above context.
That is fast track immigration, applicable for non-UK/EU arriving passengers. The OP would transit airside using transit security.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by nux
That is fast track immigration, applicable for non-UK/EU arriving passengers. The OP would transit airside using transit security.
Noted, and thanks for clarifying that my comment only relates to FT immigration, not transit security.

She, however, was presumably asking about FT immigration:
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
Yes it is American Airlines. Our layover is only 1.5 hours, so by the time we get through security it will be time to board i assume.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it is American Airlines. Our layover is only 1.5 hours, so by the time we get through security it will be time to board i assume.
Possibly, it all depends on a number of factors.

As the plane approaches LHR, be proactive and have everything repacked (laptop, tablet, anything else you used on the flight) with the idea you want to be ready to move when the seat belt light goes off. Have passports and ongoing boarding passes in an easily accessible location.

Some crews will hold back coach passengers to allow business passengers off first; take advantage if possible. You don'the have to run, but don't be like molasses either.

Once past security, check the boards to see if your gate is posted yet -Heathrow sometimes waits to post the information. If not yet posted, you can make a judgment if you have time for a quick lounge visit. Otherwise, head for the gate.

BTW - the flight from CLT was almost two hours late this morning, the day before it was right on time. YMMV.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think there are also some reports of using AA fivestar service at LHR in AA forum
IIRC one person got a car transfer between terminals, but not guaranteed/published
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dthorne1918's transfer is wholly within T3, so car transfer would not be a factor for him.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I also have a question concerning a connection:
We are flying on August 23rd with CX from HKG to LHR, 3 pax, in J. (EU citizens)
Arriving T3, 18.10 pm.

From terminal 4 we have a separate connecting flight with KLM from LHR to AMS, 20.25pm. (separate ticket/booking, in Y)
Connection time is 2hr en 15 min.

This means we most probably have to go through customs in terminal 3, collect our baggage, then travel to terminal 4, and check in again.

Is this connection time realistic?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BIndair
I also have a question concerning a connection:
We are flying on August 23rd with CX from HKG to LHR, 3 pax, in J. (EU citizens)
Arriving T3, 18.10 pm.

From terminal 4 we have a separate connecting flight with KLM from LHR to AMS, 20.25pm. (separate ticket/booking, in Y)
Connection time is 2hr en 15 min.

This means we most probably have to go through customs in terminal 3, collect our baggage, then travel to terminal 4, and check in again.

Is this connection time realistic?
You might make it just in the nick of time but this is Heathrow so I wouldn't attempt this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.