Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

How to get best rate/upgrade to business class on intl flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

We travel internationally all the time. We fly on different airlines usually grabbing the best deal. Sometimes we can get business class from ORD or LAX to europe for $3k round trip per person and we grab it.

But sometimes the prices are 10k per person and it is too much. I see all the people in business class and I shake my head because I know these people are not shelling out 10k on those tickets. Is this is all about loyalty programs?

I have taken the benefit of American's loyalty program and have been upgraded from coach to business for 25k miles + $350 (and my $800 ticket was now worth $6000). But there are no guarantees. We hate to flight coach more than 8 hours (even 4-5 is tough) and business class on long 15 hour flights is actually a very relaxing time to unwind.

So what's the secret? I am pursuing these forums and I see talk of how to squeeze out extra miles and getting the right credit cards, but I am looking to book business class one or two weeks before travel. I dont even mind doing it the day before and I have to admit I am appalled with the carriers when I see business class is 30% full with a price of 5k and my ticket is only $500. I would have easily paid $1500 or $2000.

Is there any secret or tips for someone that books days or weeks before travel (and is very flexible on dates), can take any airline, and is willing to pay a little premium for premium seats but cannot justify $5k vs $500. I know I am doing something wrong when the head steward would introduce himself to me on a few flights and thank me for the business. why me? I felt so special.. then I realize.. i might be the only schmuck paying $10k for two people to fly
Old May 1, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by rhunter
I see all the people in business class and I shake my head because I know these people are not shelling out 10k on those tickets.
They're not? I think you would be surprised.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:35 pm

If award space is available, you can frequently buy the required points for your trip. But not at the $500 price you want.

However, despite your disbelief, plenty of companies and individuals of means pay cash for business and first class travel. It's not uncommon.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oformula
If award space is available, you can frequently buy the required points for your trip. But not at the $500 price you want.

However, despite your disbelief, plenty of companies and individuals of means pay cash for business and first class travel. It's not uncommon.
So if award space is available, you are suggesting it may be less expensive to just buy the required points (even if I have few, or any) and book the way? Does that actually work? So instead of spending $6000 on a long haul flight maybe it is just a couple or few thousand?

And yes, I am in disbelief. That is why I posted. Out of approx. 10 international flights, 8 where I paid the prevailing full fare and two I used awards, why does the head steward go out of his way to personally greet me three times? Only one time did he greet someone else and it was just one other gentleman. I felt special the first two times and then the third time it hits me -- I have no status on the airline, I am not anyone special in their eyes, I am just the idiot that paid full fare. I feel like a sucker and that is why I am posting.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Airlines have premium cabins on international flights because they can sell them. When an airline has a premium product that they can't sell, they tend to readjust. For example, Lufthansa is cutting back on its First Class, and many other carriers have eliminated that cabin-- not because people didn't want award tickets, but because people were not willing to spend more on First than a solid Business product. Note that for a lot of people who travel long distances for work, paid business class is the standard.

You should also keep an eye on sales, even if they start in Europe. I'm using miles to go to Europe in July and back in September for example, and am using a $1200 business class ticket from Europe to DC round-trip for the other legs.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
My company has spent 10,000 to send me to China, so people do pay it.

Googleflights is your friend, and you just need to catch the tickets when they open up. Something else I have seen is that some airlines auction off the upgrades, they can have a minimum amounts but even an upgrade for 1000 is a good deal, right?
Old May 1, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you are based in Chicago you should start giving YYZ a look. Lots of cheap business class fares to all corners of the globe and you could use miles or cash for an easy positioning flight
Old May 2, 2016, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Think of it like this...

If there are 50 business class seats on a flight, all occupied, the airline will have sold them roughly normally distributed.

- 5 people will have paid $10,000 on last-minute full fares
- 10 people will have paid $7,000 on fares with restrictions and early-booking requirements
- 15 people will have paid $6,000 on corporate negotiated fares
- 10 people will have paid $4,000 on special sale/excursion fares
- 5 people will have paid with their frequent flyer miles
- 2 people will have been upgraded
- 3 people will be on staff travel

Adjust numbers according to route/airline/time of year/etc, but you get the idea
Old May 2, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
If you are based in Chicago you should start giving YYZ a look. Lots of cheap business class fares to all corners of the globe and you could use miles or cash for an easy positioning flight
YYZ looks pretty cool. Are you suggesting I take the short hop to Toronto and then take advantage of these fares?
Old May 2, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhunter
YYZ looks pretty cool. Are you suggesting I take the short hop to Toronto and then take advantage of these fares?
Yep exactly! Use miles or cash for to cover the short Y flight to/from YYZ and then take advantage of the cheap J fares from YYZ to get to your destination.

Just make sure that if the flight is priced in CAD that you use a no FX fee CC so you don't get hit with the FX fee if you are booking direct with the airline.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've flown on up PD (Porter) to YTZ (Toronto downtown airport) spent the night or even a long weekend and flown on cheap fares from YYZ. Even with the hotels and positioning flight it's often still cheaper by a margin. PD flies from MDW.

That $10k ticket is for your sequence of flights. LAX-LHR (9600$) is way more expensive than LAX-LHR-AMS 8200$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.