Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

air canada 787 or delta 767 in J?

Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

i'm flying to istanbul this summer and these two airlines are almost exactly the same price and duration. both flights are in business. i flew to istanbul last summer in delta's A330 which i was very impressed with but have never flown delta's 767 or ac's 787. all else being equal which would you choose?

*oh and i know this is a long shot, but is there anyway to book the air canada flight from United? i have a $1k voucher with them.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where are you flying from and how many connections are involved?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where are you flying from and how many connections are involved?
Tpa-Toronto- ist

Or

Tpa - jfk - ist

The total trip time is almost identical. The price is within a few dollars. I was very impressed with deltas catering and the lounge at jfk last year. Never experienced air canada
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:55 am
Suspended

I think it's pretty much a crapshoot. AC's new business class seats are quite nice, have a look at the AC forum for that. The hassle of transiting through Canada both ways may be a little frustrating, though.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I think it's pretty much a crapshoot. AC's new business class seats are quite nice, have a look at the AC forum for that. The hassle of transiting through Canada both ways may be a little frustrating, though.
Why is transitioning through Canada a hassle? I'm leaning towards air canada because their hard product seems better.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by omaralt
Why is transitioning through Canada a hassle? I'm leaning towards air canada because their hard product seems better.
Because you'll have to clear immigration, which you wouldn't have to do otherwise.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Because you'll have to clear immigration, which you wouldn't have to do otherwise.
Good point. Hadn't considered that. Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:27 am
Suspended

I don't know if you'll have to change terminals at JFK, but if you do, clearing Canadian immigration, assuming you can enter Canada, might even be faster. But is another formal step.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know if you'll have to change terminals at JFK, but if you do, clearing Canadian immigration, assuming you can enter Canada, might even be faster. But is another formal step.
The DL 767 isn't as nice in business class as the A330 seats, although you have a table next to you for more space--staggered seats versus herringbone.

At JFK, DL uses T2 and T4 which are connected airside by a bus. However, chances are that the TPA and IST flights will both use T4. There are lounges in both terminals, with the T4 lounge having a SkyDeck.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The DL 767 isn't as nice in business class as the A330 seats, although you have a table next to you for more space--staggered seats versus herringbone.

At JFK, DL uses T2 and T4 which are connected airside by a bus. However, chances are that the TPA and IST flights will both use T4. There are lounges in both terminals, with the T4 lounge having a SkyDeck.
Thanks. I've seen pictures of the 767 seats and they appear nice except it appears tight around the feet. But I was really impressed with delta last year on this same route (surprised as to why they changed the plane from an a330 to a 767?) and the lounge with the sky deck was also very nice. Their catering was also surprisingly good. The maple leaf lounge doesn't seem as nice honestly. I'll just stick to delta
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
You may not be aware but the transit desk (USA>INT'L) has been relocated within Terminal #1. No longer have to walk to the end of the pier via moving sidewalk and back track. It is a quick u-turn at the top of the pier and no more than a 5 minute procedure - infinitely much easier than JFK given the scope of DL's operations there.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: most of them
The DL 767 business class seats are very tight. I flew JFK-MAD on that product last year. The service was pretty good, but even as a fairly small person I felt cramped.

The AC 787 looks like a very nice product to me. If I had to choose that's what I would pick.

You shouldn't need to clear immigration and enter Canada on the outbound. There's a transfer checkpoint, so especially if you are connecting AC-AC you should be fine. I flew DCA-YYZ-HND last spring and it was very easy. No real line at the transfer checkpoint. Still a lot of walking in general though. I'd rate the Maple Leaf Lounge at YYZ ahead of the DL club at JFK as well.

The system on the return is a little more convoluted since you will clear US immigration and customs at YYZ. But I think you will also need to enter Canada first so make sure there's plenty of time on that connection unless you have Global Entry.

As for using the voucher, you can see if the AC flights are UA codeshares in which case I'd imagine that it might be possible. That's probably a good question for the UA forum
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:59 pm

From my experience, you cannot use a UA voucher on any star alliance partner, but YMMV...Where are you based? One thing that was very convenient w/ transiting through YVR last year enroute to SFO was the fact that my partner could clear US customs w/ me in Canada, and he didn't have to wait in the enormous line for non-US passport holders. Of course that may not be an issue for you, but I found the whole clearing US customs in Canada thing to be very convenient.

I'm assuming you are coming back from IST at some point, which is why I'm offering the above information...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.