New Member Seeking Advice [Credit Cards]

Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

New Member Seeking Advice [Credit Cards]

Good evening all,

I just recently signed up for this board after months of reading and just getting into learning how to maximize credit cards for their travel benefits and perks. I'm not seeking to start churning and/or MSing, rather seeking to more or less "settle in" with a rewards system (Amex MR, Citi TY, or Chase UR).

My wife and I got married a little over a year ago and haven't taken a honeymoon. I would say my main goal would be to take as nice of a vacation for as little out of pocket as possible. We don't have any set dates, but she's talked about wanting to visit Hawaii or New York. I am located in Orlando by MCO airport.

In the past several months I've signed up for 3 Amex cards... August 2015 - Hilton Honors and BCP and last month I was able to take advantage of the 50k MR bonus for PRG. After a couple weekend hotel stays, I have about 55k HHonors points left and I am starting from scratch as far frequent flyer programs.

I have a $3,000 expense that I will be incurring in May and I figured this would be a great way to meet one or two minimum spends (and will be immediately paid off).

So now what I'm really trying to decide is, with a little over 50k MR, do I stick with Amex and take advantage of a 40k MR or even potential 100k sign up bonus and sign up for an Amex Platinum and maybe take advantage of the $200 credit for Delta gift cards? Not sure how I feel about the remainder of the annual fee, but might be nice to spend layovers or downtime in a lounge. Would a CSP with a 50k point sign up be more flexible and pair it with a Freedom card? Or would a Citi Premier with a targeted 50k TY point bonus be more flexible transferring to AA?

This is a great forum and I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Thanks!!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

What's more important to you, free airfare, or free hotel nights? For your two possible destinations, free lodging might be more important than free flights. I definitely would not redeem miles for award tickets between MCO and NYC.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome! I'm not sure what would be the better value. As far as a starting point for hotel points, I currently have about 55k HHonors points, which I know won't be much help especially in NY or Hawaii.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The Chase Hyatt card has a sign-up bonus of two free nights worldwide after $1,000 spend. The Chase Fairmont card has a sign-up bonus of two free nights worldwide after $3,000 spend. If each of you can get each card, that's four free Hyatt nights and four free Fairmont nights after $8,000 in spend.

Both chains have properties in both Hawaii and Manhattan -- but Fairmont will not permit two consecutive free nights (from the same card holder) at the Plaza in Manhattan.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Heel.

We're going to relocate your query to an audience tailored to this in Credit Card Programs.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Dewsk
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Welcome to FT.

1. You have undermined a major issue - your trip is designed for 2 persons. But the points/miles you earned is only enough for 1 person. When you plan, you have to take this (does your wife need similar bonus as well) into consideration as well.

2. DL's program@FT is known as SkyPeso to reflect its close-to-nothing in value in term of mileage redemption. Unless you are a DL elite (which I don't think you are), it may be wise to stay away from DL.

3. You have to be concentrate. Jumping around cards/programs will push your goals even further.

Originally Posted by Heel
So now what I'm really trying to decide is, with a little over 50k MR, do I stick with Amex and take advantage of a 40k MR or even potential 100k sign up bonus and sign up for an Amex Platinum and maybe take advantage of the $200 credit for Delta gift cards? Not sure how I feel about the remainder of the annual fee, but might be nice to spend layovers or downtime in a lounge.
For AMEX, you have done enough damages. So it may not be a wise idea to apply with AMEX for further.

As you say you are starting from scratch in term of FFPs, you basically are a casual traveler. Unless you can justify the AF paid, it may not be wise to focus on the lounge benefit.

In the U.S., many lounges can be accessed with a fee.

Would a CSP with a 50k point sign up be more flexible and pair it with a Freedom card? Or would a Citi Premier with a targeted 50k TY point bonus be more flexible transferring to AA?
It all depends on the airlines you choose.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Welcome to FT.

1. You have undermined a major issue - your trip is designed for 2 persons. But the points/miles you earned is only enough for 1 person. When you plan, you have to take this (does your wife need similar bonus as well) into consideration as well.

2. DL's program@FT is known as SkyPeso to reflect its close-to-nothing in value in term of mileage redemption. Unless you are a DL elite (which I don't think you are), it may be wise to stay away from DL.

3. You have to be concentrate. Jumping around cards/programs will push your goals even further.

For AMEX, you have done enough damages. So it may not be a wise idea to apply with AMEX for further.

As you say you are starting from scratch in term of FFPs, you basically are a casual traveler. Unless you can justify the AF paid, it may not be wise to focus on the lounge benefit.

In the U.S., many lounges can be accessed with a fee.

It all depends on the airlines you choose.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree that Delta Skymiles hold little value, and even with a Delta AMEX, I wouldn't be maintaining an elite status with Delta. Can you elaborate on your comment regarding doing enough damage with AMEX? Is the the amount of cards opened in the short amount of time you're referring to? I don't think I would have any issue to sign up for another MR earning credit card or charge card with AMEX. Is this what you're referring to?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
What's more important to you, free airfare, or free hotel nights? For your two possible destinations, free lodging might be more important than free flights. I definitely would not redeem miles for award tickets between MCO and NYC.
MCO and sister airport are home to some discount carriers, and other airlines sometimes match, or come close to matching fares. Agree that for domestic travel I would not use miles, especially to NYC @:-)

And welcome to FT!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree that Delta Skymiles hold little value, and even with a Delta AMEX, I wouldn't be maintaining an elite status with Delta. Can you elaborate on your comment regarding doing enough damage with AMEX? Is the the amount of cards opened in the short amount of time you're referring to? I don't think I would have any issue to sign up for another MR earning credit card or charge card with AMEX. Is this what you're referring to?
No problem. Per your OP:

In the past several months I've signed up for 3 Amex cards... August 2015 - Hilton Honors and BCP and last month I was able to take advantage of the 50k MR bonus for PRG.
1. AMEX imposes 1 per lifetime limit for opening bonus. So there is no rush at all.

2. A FR is likely to be triggered if you push for further applications, as AMEX would like to know its exposure.

3. You have 3 HPs from the same issuer too recently.

AMEX might still be able to approve additional cards. But it will not be wise to push it. Beside, you can try other issuers as well.

Recently, many issuers take aggressive measures to prevent churning. This is why you have to understand the necessity for not going too far.

Also - supplement to my OP, you really need to have a plan.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

No problem. Per your OP:

1. AMEX imposes 1 per lifetime limit for opening bonus. So there is no rush at all.

2. A FR is likely to be triggered if you push for further applications, as AMEX would like to know its exposure.

3. You have 3 HPs from the same issuer too recently.

AMEX might still be able to approve additional cards. But it will not be wise to push it. Beside, you can try other issuers as well.

Recently, many issuers take aggressive measures to prevent churning. This is why you have to understand the necessity for not going too far.

Also - supplement to my OP, you really need to have a plan.

Thank you for the input. You're right, I wouldn't want to go through an FR with AMEX or burn any bridges with them as I am very satisfied with the level of service I receive from their company. I agree that I should probably let my relationship with AMEX build a little longer before I attempt to open another line of credit through them.

I really would like to take advantage of a large expense that I am going to incur in the next few months. With MR transfer partners in mind, I could diversify and sign up with a different lender that compliments MR's transfer capabilities. Would something like the CSP or Citi Premier be good options? Or the hotel cards referenced in this thread?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Stick with the Chase cards for now as they have a 5/24 month rule, so I suggest start with the CSP and if you have a small business Ink Plus. Follow up with a Hyatt Card and perhaps a Fairmont Card.

For the love of god, don't listen to advice from the bloggers who get paid $200+ commission for one app. Good luck!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Stick with the Chase cards for now as they have a 5/24 month rule, so I suggest start with the CSP and if you have a small business Ink Plus. Follow up with a Hyatt Card and perhaps a Fairmont Card.

For the love of god, don't listen to advice from the bloggers who get paid $200+ commission for one app. Good luck!
Thank you! I was on the same train of thought. If I'm going to get a CSP/Freedom, now would be the time to do it before any further apps knocking me out of that threshold. Do UR points and MR points compliment each other in any way?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

The Chase Hyatt card has a sign-up bonus of two free nights worldwide after $1,000 spend. The Chase Fairmont card has a sign-up bonus of two free nights worldwide after $3,000 spend. If each of you can get each card, that's four free Hyatt nights and four free Fairmont nights after $8,000 in spend.

Both chains have properties in both Hawaii and Manhattan -- but Fairmont will not permit two consecutive free nights (from the same card holder) at the Plaza in Manhattan.
We did this for our 8 nights in Maui summer 2014. Excellent rate of return. Flying from Florida we got roundtrip tickets for 5 with United for 40k a ticket. Check the united card to see if you qualify for the 50k offer, add a united biz or CSP and you have the airline miles for two to Maui. If you want to island hop while there pick up a Hawaiin Air card for flights between islands.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really would like to take advantage of a large expense that I am going to incur in the next few months. With MR transfer partners in mind, I could diversify and sign up with a different lender that compliments MR's transfer capabilities. Would something like the CSP or Citi Premier be good options? Or the hotel cards referenced in this thread?
This is why I said you need to have a plan.

When you pick Chase or Citi, you pretty much pick the airlines at the same time. In other word, you will have to pick the airline as well.

UA naturally is a good choice as you may be able to go for both cities together with 45K miles/person inclusively. But it may not fit your budget and you will have to do them separately. In that case, AA may be a better choice as there are more ways to earn AA miles than UA.

IMHO - I will avoid hotel cards at all costs, as it is simply not worth the trouble. Hotels in NYC are too expensive (cash/redemption). Hotels in HNL are mostly non-redeemable (as they are not under a major brand).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
IMHO - I will avoid hotel cards at all costs, as it is simply not worth the trouble. Hotels in NYC are too expensive (cash/redemption).
That's why if the OP wanted to get a Hyatt card from Chase or the Hilton Reserve card could be great with the 2 free night certs. NYC in the summer, rates are high but award availability should be decent. Airfare between MCO-NYC is cheap and easily available. I just looked June 10-14 for a random 4 day weekend and it's like ~$230/pp on Jetblue. Southwest and the legacy carriers are a bit more. Hotel for a few day trip will be way more than the airfare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.