Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Giddy00
I have a bunch of day passes I was going to use some at lax but reading about the construction and denial of day passes, I am now hesitant. We will be there at 5:30 am on a Saturday...would we be allowed in or should I use them at another airport? How bad is construction in lax lounge? Thanks
The lounges open at 4:30 am. Its tranquil at that time and the bar opens at 6:00 am. (Try the complementary Prosecco with Pineapple Juice, its quite nice)..

I am there usually in the early mornings, and I see the front counter agents bringing folks towards the reservation agents to purchase day passes (so I would assume they are not capacity controlled at that time).

The food is adequate, breakfast pastries, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit and dry cereal with some accompaniments.. There is another smaller upstairs lounge that some prefer in the second floor near gate 77 I believe..

No construction is visibly going on in the mornings so you should be good to go..

Safe Travels...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Lufthansa, United
United Club Access - Business Class Reward Ticket?

First post, long-time lurker.

After accumulating 350,000 miles on Continental (and hording them for the past eight years), I've finally cashed them in on a pair of United Business Class tickets from ATL to Honolulu, connecting in SFO.

For the past eight years, I’ve been almost exclusive to Delta (and Lufthansa), so United’s policy is a new experience (like not being able to use my Amex card for lounge access).

So, will the business class reward tickets (United First - ZN) allow United Club access before the flight and during the layover in San Francisco?

I searched and seem to have found a “yes” answer, but wanted to hear from the experts… I did find that the bagage fees are waived, which I was quite happy about.

Many thanks,

Dave
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT! Yes this is better in the UA forum.

Unless you have *G status or are on an international itinerary (well, or have UA club membership) the answer is unfortunately 'no' for domestic trips.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, 175,000 miles is a lot for a USA-HNL RT ticket, even for business or first class. Have you tried to find low or saver availability, perhaps using an alternate routing?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorry, that's a domestic flight and there is no domestic UC access other than on p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) unless you are a member or have access through some other means.

UC access rules are quite clear, so there really isn't any confusion.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:59 pm

Thank you all for confirming my "fears." I have all the access I need on Delta, but alas, I'll survive :-)

@MSPeconomist - yes, I did some research - the dates were quite limited for saver fares out of Atlanta, even three months out (this wasn't full-boat, there were flights that required more miles). I'm OK with it, had been saving the miles for this trip alone.

I have 348 left :-)

Thank you all again - and for the welcome. Back to lurking (and learning)!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
No to UC access. If you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card (guessing due to your reference to lounge access on Delta), you'd have free access to the Centurion lounge at SFO. If you have a lower level Amex card, it's $50 per person, which may be worth it depending on how long your connection is.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP could have DL lounge access through a paid membership, DM status, or a DL AmEx Reserve credit card as well as via the regular AmEx Platinum or Centurion charge cards.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by oneone4
I've gotten the status match (to Avianca Amigo Diamond), and twice now, SFO UC agents have trouble automatically checking me in with my boarding pass (which shows *G with airline code O6). And since I don't have the physical card, it's a huge nuisance. Any one else have this issue and a workaround?
Thanks for the info.

My assumption is that once the agent makes adjustments, you're allowed in without the Avianca card. Right?

Has this happened all the time with UC or only some times?

Do you check into the club and change the flight credit to United at the same time or after some time in the lounge?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
No to UC access. If you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card (guessing due to your reference to lounge access on Delta), you'd have free access to the Centurion lounge at SFO. If you have a lower level Amex card, it's $50 per person, which may be worth it depending on how long your connection is.
^ ^ I wasn't aware of the Centurion lounge at SFO - might just be the ticket (I have a platinum AmEx) Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
Confused about club access???

Family of 4 traveling to Cancun next month (LAX-CUN). All on the same itin.

Mom: UA Gold
Dad: UA Silver & Copa Platinum
Kid1: No status
Kid2: No status

Will the 4 of us be able to access the club at LAX? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by john doe iii
Family of 4 traveling to Cancun next month (LAX-CUN). All on the same itin.

Mom: UA Gold
Dad: UA Silver & Copa Platinum
Kid1: No status
Kid2: No status

Will the 4 of us be able to access the club at LAX? Thanks.
The parents are star gold and allowed one guest each. Up to you to decide which is your favorite kid to be your guest.*
If you're flying out of the TBIT, go to the Star Alliance lounge instead of the UC.

*Assuming you're all departing on a star alliance carrier.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Lufthansa Senator *,Marriott platinum
Lounge access

I am a 1K flying DEL-EWR in business first and then connecting EWR-IND in economy (domestic flight has no business class).

Can I access the united lounges at Newark as arrive early morning and have a 4 hour layover.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
United Club Access Using Partner Star Alliance Gold Status

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s...-access-policy

Example: UA 1K, UA number on domestic boarding pass, COPA Platinum card, attempting to enter United Club at destination, denied. The links above indicate that Club access using a partner airline gold (or better) status is limited to departure airports. Is that correct?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RAMSWISS
I am a 1K flying DEL-EWR in business first and then connecting EWR-IND in economy (domestic flight has no business class).

Can I access the united lounges at Newark as arrive early morning and have a 4 hour layover.
Believe that's a yes.

I did DUB-EWR-IAH in coach as *G and was allowed entry to the lounge at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.