Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Flying with Dogs

Flying with Dogs

Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Flying with Dogs

Air Canada were happy to fly our family and 2 dogs to Vancouver for a 2 year work assignment. Now its time for us to go home, it seems regulations have changed and many breeds are banned from flying.

Air Canada will not fly us home and my temporary work permit expires very soon.

Would love to hear any advice or suggestions?

JB
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Do a one way car rental?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
To where are you flying? You'll have to check airlines and local regulations if it's a foreign country.

This will get better answers in the Travel with Pets forum; I've alerted a mod.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where are you travelling to? I checked with AC, and there don't seem to be any restrictions, including aggressive breeds, for travelling in the hold, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e.html#faq:7-*
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Flying with Dogs

Delete.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where is home? And what kind (breeds) of dogs do you have?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The more tou tell us (e.g. breeds, flight origin, alternative airlines, time of year, etc.) the more we will be able to help.

Meantime:

FlyerTalk Travel with Pets Forum

Link to Humane Society of the U.S. resources for traveling with animals

Link to American Veterinary Medical Foundation FAQ for traveling with animals

Link to AirSafe recommendations for traveling with animals
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where are you travelling to? I checked with AC, and there don't seem to be any restrictions, including aggressive breeds, for travelling in the hold, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e.html#faq:7-*
AC does have breed restrictions on pet travel. Snub-nosed/brachycephalic breeds are banned from travel in the hold.
See a list at http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ed_breeds.html
Also, they require 'wild animal' crates for aggressive breeds (those are extremely costly and hard to find).

Snub-nosed breeds are, however, allowed in the cabin.
@OP: Should the dogs weigh less than 10 kgs (per dog, animal plus carrier) you should be able to take them along in the cabin. If they weigh more than that, you will need to find another airline or send them as cargo with Air Canada. This will cost significantly more money, though.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhomburg
AC does have breed restrictions on pet travel. Snub-nosed/brachycephalic breeds are banned from travel in the hold.
See a list at http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ed_breeds.html
Also, they require 'wild animal' crates for aggressive breeds (those are extremely costly and hard to find).

Snub-nosed breeds are, however, allowed in the cabin.
@OP: Should the dogs weigh less than 10 kgs (per dog, animal plus carrier) you should be able to take them along in the cabin. If they weigh more than that, you will need to find another airline or send them as cargo with Air Canada. This will cost significantly more money, though.
Noted, but obviously the dogs shouldn't be in the cabin on an international journey (which is what I'm sure the OP is referring to, rather than a relocation within Canada). My own view is that no animals should be upstairs. I'm guessing, but if OP has some wolf-cross breed, he would likely have mentioned that in his original question.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP makes it sound like they cant take breed out of canada...
smuggle in car to US first?

clearly air canada is not the only airline
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
OP makes it sound like they cant take breed out of canada...
smuggle in car to US first?

clearly air canada is not the only airline
AC may be the only one on the route. But this doesn't sound like an immigration restriction.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:32 pm

Noted, but obviously the dogs shouldn't be in the cabin on an international journey (which is what I'm sure the OP is referring to, rather than a relocation within Canada). My own view is that no animals should be upstairs. I'm guessing, but if OP has some wolf-cross breed, he would likely have mentioned that in his original question.
Unlike the US carriers, AC does allow in-cabin animals on international itineraries with some limited exceptions, mostly due to country-specific restrictions (the usual suspects, like the UK, Ireland, Australia....), but also on their HD 777s (understandably- where would one fit a carrier on these, especially in economy?)
Oh, and should OP have a pitbull type dog and needs to fly via YYZ, AC won't accept it, either, as Ontario put a blanket ban on those breeds even for transfer.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Unlike the US carriers, AC does allow in-cabin animals on international itineraries with some limited exceptions, mostly due to country-specific restrictions (the usual suspects, like the UK, Ireland, Australia....), but also on their HD 777s (understandably- where would one fit a carrier on these, especially in economy?)
Oh, and should OP have a pitbull type dog and needs to fly via YYZ, AC won't accept it, either, as Ontario put a blanket ban on those breeds even for transfer.
Noted, but I said that they shouldn't be, whether they are technically allowed or not. But I don't intend to turn this thread into one of those...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:22 pm

Noted, but I said that they shouldn't be, whether they are technically allowed or not. But I don't intend to turn this thread into one of those...
^
I agree in principle, but those brachycephalic breeds really should not be in the hold. The bans most airlines have for them on AVIH travel are definitely justified. (I don't want to turn this into a rant about how these breeds exist in their current form, that's a sad story in itself - as well as how many of them are not well-behaved at all because of the way their owners treat them)

I had an LH purser (MIA-MUC) tell me on Monday that she wished all her customers would be like my (service) dog, who was 'the most relaxed passenger I ever saw in my 19 years of flying'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.