Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birmingham uk to moscow via amsterdam checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Good evening. I am flying from Birmingham UK (BHX) to Moscow via Amsterdam with KLM.

Can anyone please help me with a few questions:

1. Will my hold baggage be 'automatically' dealt with - if I check it in at BHX will it magically appear in Moscow when I get off my flight? Or must I retrieve it in Amsterdam then re-check it in?

2. When I land at Amsterdam can I stay 'airside' or must I go out and back in through the security checks etc ( in which case what happens to any duty free I have bought it the UK).

3. Will I have to go through some extra checks in Amsterdam because I am going to Moscow? (last month I had to go through an inspection of Visa at Riga).

4. By way of example I flew with Lufthansa on the BHX to Frankfurt to Moscow route a few times. On that route: My luggage was automatically forwarded. But even though I stayed airside (or thought I did) I still had to go through security again and they confiscated water that I had bought in the UK for my flight. And I cannot remember what they did about my duty free??

5. What's the food like at Amsterdam airport?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam has a great website.
for questions about the airport generally, check out the destination forums.
for questions about KLM policies, check out the KLM forum.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
1. Yes it'll go straight through
2. My flights from Heathrow to AMS usually just let you straight out into non-schengen departures without having to go through transit security. Not sure what happens if you arrive at remote stand and are bussed. Coming back from Moscow you'll have to go through transit security at AMS.
3. Unlikely, they'll probably confirm your docs at checkin at BHX
4. That's how most airports work. Within the Schengen zone some airports operate domestic style and let Schengen arriving passengers out into Schengen departures without a transit check. Some airports also exempt flights from low risk non-Schengen countries such as the UK from transit security - AMS and MAD come to mind.
5. The Netherlands isn't known for its culinary prowess, and AMS does nothing to contradict that.... :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.