Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Jayapura, West Papua to Darwin, Australia

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Traveling around and to/from Indonesia is always a challenge and we spent a ton of time in airports. To get from Jayapura on the northern coast of West Papua to Darwin, Australia without going through Jakarta, the best I could come up with is:

Garuda has Jayapura-Bali at 9:25 getting in at 1:45
VirginAustralia Bali-Darwin 9:10 pm (14 hr flight thru Brisbane)

If anyone here enjoys a good flight puzzle and wants to help out with better flights (shorter layover, shorter flights) I would be SO GRATEFUL. These flights will be following a 21-day trip through West Papua, including long flights from the U.S. (DCA-ORD-NRT-SIN-Manado-Sorong plus 2 internal flights).

FYI the flight needs to be on Tues Sept 13. Most of the sites have Sept. grayed out so I used August just to check Tuesday schedules.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:06 pm

FT is not a travel agency. Really.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above FT is not a travel agency and/or award booking services nor does FT have a secret source of low fares and/or awards and/or hidden flights

Look at the airlines that fly into DRW http://www.darwinairport.com.au/pass...ation/arrivals
Look at SIN. BNE is a long diversion
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Have you looked into flying out of Vanimo on the New Guinea side to Port Moresby? From there -CNS-DRW.

According to http://www.flightconnections.com/, Jetstar and AirAsia fly DPS-DRW.

Last edited by ritesa; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:33 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just spend some time on the beach in Bali.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
About the only way to do it is the Jayapura-Timika-Bali flight on garuda you have mentioned (if you want to avoid Jakarta).

There is definitely a non-stop denpasar darwin flight but i cant remember which airline. I think it's jetstar.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:51 am

Here are the avaialble non stops from DPS to Darwin:
Depart 330pm (that would be tight off the Timika flight which can see lots of weather delays) Air Asia 540 on Sun/Mon/Fri

4:15pm (probably doable) Air Asia 540 on Wed

and Jetstar 82 departs 6:30pm Sun/Mon/Fri as well. That's the safer bet ex Timika/Jayapura
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

It would appear that you are not a moderator. Please allow the moderators to determine what is/is not appropriate for a particular forum, as they have done here. If you are not interested in a post, just ignore it. There must be hundreds of posts that don't interest you. Do you take the time to respond to all of them, discouraging other members in the process?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you! That's a great idea and we may try it. How hard is it to drive across that border given the political strain in the region?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

We did find a direct flight to Darwin on Virgin Australia via a third-party site but when I went to the Virgin Australia site, it didn't exist!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:52 pm

So how was your trip OP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.