Wiki Posts
Search

Correcting first-last name mixup on ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Correcting first-last name mixup on ticket

On bookings where a name change isn't allowed, how would airlines treat a case where the first and last name were accidentally swapped?

Is this something that would be strictly enforced at the airport?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's never a big deal. I've had names entered MRLASTNAMEFIRSTNAME and MRFISTNAMELASTNAME, and many other combinations. These things happen all the time and generally the only point at which someone would pick this up is when you compare passport to ticket at boarding, and then it's rarely problematic.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
It happened to me last summer and was completely my own fault - booked online. The check in agent could not locate the reservation (I assume he was searching my last name). However, when I showed him the e-ticket (also with names transposed), he found it and checked me in without further comment. Surprisingly, my miles credited without issue although I hadn't expected them to.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Same thing happened to me (plus tacking my middle initial onto one of them) on a many-segment-long trip from the U.S. to various places in India plus Singapore. Never a problem to anyone. Only thing was, like MichaelBaku, I had to tell check-in agents what name to look for.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - As you have not provided the name of the air carrier, nor the routing, nobody here can provide you a definitive answer. Please do that.

However, as a general proposition, it is a non-issue and occurs all the time by reason of passenger name entry error, computer glitch and sometimes culture, e.g., what is referred to in the booking template as "surname" is the family name which goes first in some cultures.

For that reason, this is generally not a problem either for the air carrier or for border authorities in the case of international travel.

Nonetheless, please post the name of the carrier and route and you will then get the definitive answer you seek.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - As you have not provided the name of the air carrier, nor the routing, nobody here can provide you a definitive answer. Please do that.

However, as a general proposition, it is a non-issue and occurs all the time by reason of passenger name entry error, computer glitch and sometimes culture, e.g., what is referred to in the booking template as "surname" is the family name which goes first in some cultures.

For that reason, this is generally not a problem either for the air carrier or for border authorities in the case of international travel.

Nonetheless, please post the name of the carrier and route and you will then get the definitive answer you seek.
This wasn't in relation to a specific booking but in general, since I make many bookings, have made such a mixup in the past, and was wondering how fanatically should I be in verifying this each time. Glad to know it's not a big deal.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bamba70
This wasn't in relation to a specific booking but in general, since I make many bookings, have made such a mixup in the past, and was wondering how fanatically should I be in verifying this each time. Glad to know it's not a big deal.
Despite the fact that anecdotally it is not a problem, you should be fanatic about every aspect of booking information.

It only takes one obstinate subcontractor to a contractor to an air carrier, border official or whatever and you are either out of luck or standing around for hours.

Where it can matter a lot is in the US is with expedited border crossing and security checkpoint programs such as Global Entry. As those expand, the need for accuracy becomes critical as machines simply compare coding.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Despite the fact that anecdotally it is not a problem, you should be fanatic about every aspect of booking information.

It only takes one obstinate subcontractor to a contractor to an air carrier, border official or whatever and you are either out of luck or standing around for hours.

Where it can matter a lot is in the US is with expedited border crossing and security checkpoint programs such as Global Entry. As those expand, the need for accuracy becomes critical as machines simply compare coding.
That makes sense..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.