Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Does Southwest require passport for domestic travel?

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I'm about to book a domestic flight on Southwest and remembered my passport is expired. Is a passport required for domestic travel? Or can I use my driver's license?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sam250240
I'm about to book a domestic flight on Southwest and remembered my passport is expired. Is a passport required for domestic travel? Or can I use my driver's license?
You can use your driver's license, as most people do. Passport is never required to move among the 50 states or US possessions. It's for entering other countries only.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Perfect! Thanks for confirming!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is a list of the forms of ID accepted by TSA. Even if you don't have any of those, there may still be a way through the checkpoint. Unless you are checking luggage, you may never need to show any ID to WN or any carrier for a domestic flight.

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-s...identification
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Here is a list of the forms of ID accepted by TSA. Even if you don't have any of those, there may still be a way through the checkpoint. Unless you are checking luggage, you may never need to show any ID to WN or any carrier for a domestic flight.

Just be prepared for it taking MUCH longer getting though security without an ID.

Besides, the OP said he HAS a DL. So, there is no issue.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP is flying to/from New Mexico, a passport is needed just in case an airline agent doesn't know than NM is one of the fifty states. District of Columbia is similarly risky, because some people think it's a region of South America.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:48 pm

In all seriousness OP, you'll be fine with a drivers license. But...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP is flying to/from New Mexico, a passport is needed just in case an airline agent doesn't know than NM is one of the fifty states. District of Columbia is similarly risky, because some people think it's a region of South America.
Ha, it would be even funnier if you were just joking. I'd also add that if you are from Hawaii, you may need a passport since TSA may decide not recognize it as a state.

For reference:
D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nations capital was valid for flight | Washington Post

Reporter Baffled After TSA Agent Rejects His District Of Columbia ID, Demands To See Passport | Huffington Post

TSA Agent Tries to Not Recognize NM Driver'se License as ID | FlyerTalk

Hawaii is not a state according to the TSA agent | FlyerTalk
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And this is not specific to Southwest! It applies to every airline. If flying any airline totally within the US and/or its territories (for example, Puerto Rico), you do not require a passport.

Whether you require a passport has to do with whether you're leaving or entering the country. It has nothing to do with what airline you're flying.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1

Note that the list at the link says "U.S. passport." It does not say "valid U.S. passport" or "unexpired U.S. passport." The people who write these rules are very careful about precise phrasing. If they meant that it had to be unexpired, they would have said so. An expired passport is not valid for international travel, but in at least one situation I'm familiar with it was accepted for identification. (It was recent enough that the photo still looked like the bearer.)

So, your expired passport - which is still a U.S. passport by any definition - is probably still fine for this purpose.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As I believe is noted above, you may be permitted to travel without any acceptable ID do long as a TSA Officer can otherwise verify your identity. This may sometimes be done with multiple expired documents, school ID's, and other information which can be verified in various commercial and government databases.

This is all, however, ill-advised and most useful in an emergency where one has lost one's ID.

If OP's question is reasonably interpreted as asking whether he requires a valid passport for domestic travel, the answer is no. If he wants to know what will work, a valid DL is the simple answer.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the answers, I think I'll be fine with a driver's license. I'm traveling from BOS to SFO.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Note that the list at the link says "U.S. passport."

So, your expired passport - which is still a U.S. passport by any definition - is probably still fine for this purpose.
It's the "probably" that would have me worried.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:29 pm

Thanks guys for the answers, I think I'll be fine with a driver's license. I'm traveling from BOS to SFO.
No 'think' about it. You will absolutely be fine with your DL.
Have a good flight!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
No 'think' about it. You will absolutely be fine with your DL.
Have a good flight!
Awesome! I'm glad to hear.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
No need to say "I think" here. I never carry a passport on domestic trips. My driver's license is always sufficient, including this specific route many times.

(My wife was once cleared in the reverse direction, at SFO heading for BOS, using her YMCA membership card. She pulled it out by mistake, as it was next to her DL, and didn't realize it until she was putting it back into her wallet. We have no idea if the agent knew what it was and figured it was good enough, or just didn't notice.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.