Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Can I make my flight

Can I make my flight

Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Can I make my flight

Hi everyone. Not sure where I'm supposed to be posting this but I have a quick question. I have a flight already booked from JFK terminal 7 to Heathrow Wednesday 2nd September 19:30. I'm looking at booking a flight from o'hare to JFK which lands at JFK terminal 5 16:40. Will I realistically make my flight to heathrow if I book this flight from Chicago?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Can I make my flight

Are both flights with the same carrier or alliance so that you can check the bags all the way through? Are you planning on just doing carry on? If yes to either of the above, I would guess you will probably make it. The Skytrain between terminals runs regularly but remember that you will need to clear security again as the Skytrain is outside the sterile area. I think your connection time of just under three hours should be more than sufficient, particularly if you don't need to collect luggage and then re-check.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, WillKeer!

I am moving your question to Information Desk.

NewbieRunner
co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is no way to know.

If your flight is late you may not make it and you ma not get put on a later flight as you are clearly on separate tickets. This would mean that you may have to purchase an expensive walk-up fare to LHR if you really need to go. I'd try to rebook your inbound JFK to much earlier in the day. What airline are you flying on?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Absent delays, you could easily check bags to JFK, collect them, head to BA, check the bags, clear security and head to the gate.

But, that is not the question. You will be on separate tickets (as I read your post). If you no show for your BA flight, your ticket will be cancelled and will retain whatever value, if any, it has. Unless it is a full-fare fully refundable ticket, you will likely lose all value.

At that point you are at BA's mercy. The rules would require you to purchase a new ticket and it would likely be astronomically expensive at the last minute. You might find the right agent who might find a way to rebook you or to do so at less than astronomical cost. But, you cannot count on it.

My rule of thumb here is to allow 2-3 times what I comfortably would allow on a connection. If that's 2 hours, you should allow 4-6. You will likely wind up twiddling your thumbs for 5 hours, but given the cost of a no show, it may be worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.