Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Extreme Newbie Looking for Advice on Trip to Europe

Extreme Newbie Looking for Advice on Trip to Europe

Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Question Extreme Newbie Looking for Advice on Trip to Europe

Hey guys! I'm trying to plan a surprise trip from Northeast U.S. to Europe for my girl and I (first class preferred) in the next couple months. However, now I'm guessing that's cutting it too close. I've been reading the award travel blogs for a little while, which gave me some hope that it's possible.

Here's what I have so far:
- 30,000 AMEX MR
- 33,000 WorldPoints
- 104,000 Chase UR (with CSP)
- 10K+/month spend capabilities for card signups
- Various airline miles & hotel points, but probably nothing above ~5K

I'm not looking for someone to do all of the planning work for me, but any advice or help to point me in the right direction would be VERY appreciated. I tried to price out a trip via United, and it came out to be 680,000 award miles. I clearly have no idea what I'm doing.

In the meantime, I'll keep on reading this forum. ^
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think you will struggle with availability (where in Europe?). Also, you don't have enough miles for two first class tickets, and will probably struggle to get two business seats. Economy should be ok, but that's not a good use of your miles. 680,000 is not what is needed, but a quarter of that would be a good place to start.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you will struggle with availability (where in Europe?). Also, you don't have enough miles for two first class tickets, and will probably struggle to get two business seats. Economy should be ok, but that's not a good use of your miles. 680,000 is not what is needed, but a quarter of that would be a good place to start.
Not 100% sure of where in Europe, but hoping for France with one stopover nearby. Or France + train to somewhere else.

If I could do the trip with a quarter of those miles (or even half), that would be amazing. I could probably do that via signups + spend. My main problem (aside from availability, like you mentioned) is that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to award partners, transfer rates, and that sort of thing. I don't know what kind of miles to focus on or how to get the most travel for those miles.

Last edited by fire11xx; Aug 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm Reason: EDIT: I was looking in the wrong place, Award Saver is pretty much gone for Business/First. Bummer.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Red face

I'm not sure if this guy still does booking for people but they were very good at it. Not only find the flights but at good rates.

http://www.milevalue.com/
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crandall
I'm not sure if this guy still does booking for people but they were very good at it. Not only find the flights but at good rates.

http://www.milevalue.com/
The main downside is it will cost $250 for two people, and I haven't even gotten the miles I'd need yet. I'm probably not even to that stage yet, but I'd like to at least give it a shot on my own first.

P.S. I think my last post got removed, and I don't know why.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by fire11xx
Hey guys! I'm trying to plan a surprise trip from Northeast U.S. to Europe for my girl and I (first class preferred) in the next couple months.
It is very nice that you are planning to take your daughter to Europe; travel can be quite educational.

If her other parent is not accompany you, don't forget about parental consent forms:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ot-a-parent-or
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
i might be wrong but I read this as his girlfriend.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
It is very nice that you are planning to take your daughter to Europe; travel can be quite educational.

If her other parent is not accompany you, don't forget about parental consent forms:

Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
i might be wrong but I read this as his girlfriend.
No, it clearly says "girl" - which means a child, not an adult - not "girlfriend."

Regardless, why assume that the poster is male? She/he made no indication.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

No, it clearly says "girl" - which means a child, not an adult - not "girlfriend."

It could mean either, but in this context likely means "girlfriend" in colloquial American English.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Relax, I just don't know any parent that says I'm taking my girl. Instead they would say I am taking my daughter. I do know people who say things like "My girl and I are going away to.....". I could be wrong and you could be right, still relax.

Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
First class to Europe is not worth it IMO. First, especially from the NE US, the flight is pretty short (< 8 hours). Second, there are few airlines who fly a first class product US-Europe that is substantially better than business, and those that do are tough or impossible to get with miles. If you insist on first though, go for Singapore's JFK-FRA route or anything on LH or LX, if you can find any of that. Likely you'll need to settle for what's available, and that could be a very nice business class.

You're furthest along with Chase UR, so perhaps the best focus is there. UA charges 115K round trip business on its own metal and 140K round trip on partner metal for US-Europe business class. So you're almost there for 1 person. Perhaps look into the United card? Then, if you can get another 60K Amex MR, you'd have enough for Aeroplan US-Europe round trip for the second person. Amex PRG has a 50K sign up bonus around.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I think it's pretty obvious that the OP meant his girlfriend rather than his daughter, and those forms, while nice, won't mean a great deal to many immigration control people in Europe.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dukerau
First class to Europe is not worth it IMO. First, especially from the NE US, the flight is pretty short (< 8 hours). Second, there are few airlines who fly a first class product US-Europe that is substantially better than business, and those that do are tough or impossible to get with miles. If you insist on first though, go for Singapore's JFK-FRA route or anything on LH or LX, if you can find any of that. Likely you'll need to settle for what's available, and that could be a very nice business class.

You're furthest along with Chase UR, so perhaps the best focus is there. UA charges 115K round trip business on its own metal and 140K round trip on partner metal for US-Europe business class. So you're almost there for 1 person. Perhaps look into the United card? Then, if you can get another 60K Amex MR, you'd have enough for Aeroplan US-Europe round trip for the second person. Amex PRG has a 50K sign up bonus around.
Wow, thanks! Looks like business class it is, then. You guys are infinitely more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff, so I trust your judgment. I'm basically shooting for 230K on UA for us to be on the same flight, pending availability?

I'd probably be looking for:
- United MileagePlus Explorer Business (50K)
- Chase InkPlus Business (50K)
- United Mileage Plus Explorer (35K)
That would leave me 239K points total. Definitely doable.

Any tips or tools on how you guys figure this stuff out, or is it just knowledge accumulated over the years?

P.S. It's "girlfriend" in my first post. I could've sworn I typed "girlfriend" in there. Guess not.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:44 am

Now that you've learned some more, don't worry you'll soon be addicted to this stuff, where are you planning on going with your lady? You mentioned Paris. And for how long? Two destinations? Your Amex Points can be used to transfer to a programs for domestic flights or you could use cheap tickets, LCC (Low Cost Carrier) or trains which are great in Europe.

Paris and London are always favorites, but what are your interests as a couple? As many here can suggest cities to visit that will help make this a memorable trip.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Now that you've learned some more, don't worry you'll soon be addicted to this stuff, where are you planning on going with your lady? You mentioned Paris. And for how long? Two destinations? Your Amex Points can be used to transfer to a programs for domestic flights or you could use cheap tickets, LCC (Low Cost Carrier) or trains which are great in Europe.

Paris and London are always favorites, but what are your interests as a couple? As many here can suggest cities to visit that will help make this a memorable trip.
Paris & London seems like a pretty good combination. We're planning on spending a week or two over there, mainly for sightseeing & things like that. I've never been to Europe, and she's only been there once.

This kind of thing definitely seems pretty addicting. Hopefully I'll learn to plan better for my next trip, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.